Author Topic: Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon  (Read 664 times)

rangerrebew

Daily news

10 August 2017
Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon

By David Hambling

Reports of satellite navigation problems in the Black Sea suggest that Russia may be testing a new system for spoofing GPS, New Scientist has learned. This could be the first hint of a new form of electronic warfare available to everyone from rogue nation states to petty criminals.

On 22 June, the US Maritime Administration filed a seemingly bland incident report. The master of a ship off the Russian port of Novorossiysk had discovered his GPS put him in the wrong spot – more than 32 kilometres inland, at Gelendzhik Airport.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2143499-ships-fooled-in-gps-spoofing-attack-suggest-russian-cyberweapon/

Oceander

Re: Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
That would be a disaster if true.

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:25:11 pm »
That would be a disaster if true.

But a foreseeable one.  Seeing that it's obvious to me, with no military experience, just an old hex-grid wargamer's grasp of things tactical and strategic, that the US military's reliance on GPS is an an Achilles heel waiting to be attacked, it surely is clear to professional military men on both sides of all possible conflicts. 

At least I hope it is to our side.  Question to anyone in the military now:   do soldiers and low-level officers still get access to and the training to use paper maps in tactical and operational situations?  I ask that because it's probably the one non-classified indication of preparation for a no-GPS or corrupted-GPS combat environment.  (Technical fixes for precision munitions that default to use GPS would surely be classified if they exist.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:50 pm »
Gotta wonder whether it's jamming GLONASS, too.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:53:30 am »
Oceander wrote:
"That would be a disaster if true."

Well, they could always go back to this:

and this:

Both of 'em worked for centuries.