Author Topic: Presser: Trump: Both Sides Deserve Blame in Charlottesville Deaths  (Read 11241 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Presser: Trump: Both Sides Deserve Blame in Charlottesville Deaths
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 02:49:46 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 02:50:12 am »
Trap? Trump actually eviscerated those monomaniacs.

He did @don-o
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 03:32:13 am »
I don't like Trump.

He did pretty good in that press conference.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 03:45:56 am »
I don't understand what any of this has to do with Trump, or why he is expected to issue condemnations.  The media are silly as ever.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:47:58 am by dfwgator »

Offline corbe

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 03:59:05 am »
   Some things never change, we tried to warn them.   Are those Loni Andersons headlights blinding me?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:26 am »
Yep, bunch of fine people..

It is incredibly sad that must even be said.  There are no good people at a white supremacy rally, ever.

I care deeply about taxes.  I believe our government is crippling our economy with regressive taxes, but I would not attend a taxpayer rally headed by Richard Spencer.

I care deeply about the military, but I would not attend a pro military rally attended and promoted by David Duke.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/david-duke-urges-followers-to-attend-rally-in-charlottesville/article_8417980e-625e-11e7-b664-cfb49c966bd3.html

I care deeply about abortion...would any of you welcome these people to your side for a pro-life rally?

I doubt any of you would want to be associated with these people.  Why accept it from the standard bearer of the GOP?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2017, 04:43:27 am »
Anymore I think Charles has become irrelevant and yes I agree, the violence, accusations, biased reporting ad fake news seems to be coming predominately from the left.  The left has no message of their own other than to counter the right.
They don't just want to counter the Right, they want people to hate it. They want to stir up anger against the Right, they want people to feel like victims of the Right. It's their reason for being.

Trump did well enough. He pointed the finger at the extremists on both sides. Psychologically, that gives the less extreme on both sides a more temperate mental climate to retreat to, to distance themselves from the violent extremists. He didn't close that door by insisting they were all evil 'A' or evil 'B'. That was masterful.
I have little doubt that there were folks who came just to protest the removal of the statue and renaming of the park, who were not affiliated with either the Klan or the White Nationalists present. You won't see those people, because those are not the optics the Media wanted you to see. Plain and simple. As I have pointed out in other posts, their ranks were thin, images reeked of the staging you saw in the Muslims Protesting violence photo op CNN engineered a while back (and got caught at). I think the idea was for you to think there were a lot more hate-filled honkies out there to hate on.
In reality, compared with the rest of America, these groups represent an incredibly small percentage of the population. They are getting press time and focus far in excess of their numbers. Their violence is being used by the press to foment resentment and violence where it just doesn't belong and where it would not ordinarily be.

I see this as a continuation of the Marxist Obama gambit to wreck anything they can and promote problems they can turn around and try to pin on the current administration, but those seeds were sown (ACORNs) long ago, and now have become scrub oaks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2017, 06:09:56 am »

I don't understand how people can say he did well.  Protesting and violence is one thing.  But using your car to exterminate people is terrorism.  There is a clear difference.  Why can't he condemn the use of a vehicle to murder people?  Its OK with me for him to say violence on both sides but he must acknowledge that the Nazi drove a car into a crowd of people.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2017, 06:23:13 am »
I don't understand how people can say he did well.  Protesting and violence is one thing.  But using your car to exterminate people is terrorism.  There is a clear difference.  Why can't he condemn the use of a vehicle to murder people?  Its OK with me for him to say violence on both sides but he must acknowledge that the Nazi drove a car into a crowd of people.
I am no Trump fan, but violence is violence. What I don't get, mainly because I saw this standard imposed on other people at TOS, is the apparent need to individually decry every bad event. I thought "violence" covered all of it.

As for the driver, that will be for the courts to handle.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2017, 06:34:12 am »
I am no Trump fan, but violence is violence. What I don't get, mainly because I saw this standard imposed on other people at TOS, is the apparent need to individually decry every bad event. I thought "violence" covered all of it.

As for the driver, that will be for the courts to handle.

Really?  I agree the courts will handle it.  I don't agree violence and murder (or domestic terrorism) are equal.  I see that President Trump is angered with the removal of the Confederate monuments.  I agree that we should not remove our history.  But it doesn't give any person or group the right to mow people down the same way terrorists do.  And President Trump should be able to acknowledge the difference.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:35:57 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2017, 06:43:51 am »
I believe he was talking about the previous night when some people were protesting the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee.  I would protest that also.  It's ridiculous.

Yes, it is. But once people around me started chanting Third Reich slogans like "blood and soil," such as they did Friday night, then I would realize that this isn't the company that I want to keep. I would realize that some bad actors, whose ideology I find reprehensible, have attached themselves to my just cause.

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2017, 06:51:34 am »

Really?  I agree the courts will handle it.  I don't agree violence and murder (or domestic terrorism) are equal.  I see that President Trump is angered with the removal of the Confederate monuments.  I agree that we should not remove our history.  But it doesn't give any person or group the right to mow people down the same way terrorists do.  And President Trump should be able to acknowledge the difference.
I don't agree with terrorist acts either.
I listened to the presser (on infrastructure) and the questions afterward, two of which were actually on infrastructure, the rest on Charlottesville. Silly me, (and I am no Trump fan), but I thought he decried all the violence, on both sides (which would include running people down). He also said he wanted to have all the facts. We don't know much about that except that the guy behind the wheel had posed with the White Nationalists holding a shield and wearing a white shirt (although, iirc, they claimed he wasn't one of their usual number). I don't claim to know who the guy is, really, beyond the stuff people have posted, and know that what he did was just. plain. wrong. I don't need Trump or the Media to tell me that, nor does the rest of America.

But what really distresses me is that the takeaway optics on a(n intended) peaceful protest to retain Confederate monuments are of torchlight (KKK style) parades, violence in the streets, and some goon running people down. Which means either the original issue gets lost, or worse, it gets conflated with neonazis and the Klan running down women in the streets.

None of the violence is justified, except those who acted in self-defense, but had the City Commission set this up a little differently, moving the antifa and BLM people to another venue (and keeping them there), or even another day, there would have been a lot less violence. 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:52:33 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:37 am »
I don't agree with terrorist acts either.
I listened to the presser (on infrastructure) and the questions afterward, two of which were actually on infrastructure, the rest on Charlottesville. Silly me, (and I am no Trump fan), but I thought he decried all the violence, on both sides (which would include running people down). He also said he wanted to have all the facts. We don't know much about that except that the guy behind the wheel had posed with the White Nationalists holding a shield and wearing a white shirt (although, iirc, they claimed he wasn't one of their usual number). I don't claim to know who the guy is, really, beyond the stuff people have posted, and know that what he did was just. plain. wrong. I don't need Trump or the Media to tell me that, nor does the rest of America.

But what really distresses me is that the takeaway optics on a(n intended) peaceful protest to retain Confederate monuments are of torchlight (KKK style) parades, violence in the streets, and some goon running people down. Which means either the original issue gets lost, or worse, it gets conflated with neonazis and the Klan running down women in the streets.

None of the violence is justified, except those who acted in self-defense, but had the City Commission set this up a little differently, moving the antifa and BLM people to another venue (and keeping them there), or even another day, there would have been a lot less violence.

I appreciate your post.  I agree that no violence is justified.  And the Nazi protesting of the removal of monuments doesn't help the cause at all.  If it was a peaceful civilian protest to protect history that would have been different.  But its ugly.  Very ugly and racist.  I still say,......violence is violence.  Murder and domestic terrorism are not violence. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:59 am »
I appreciate your post.  I agree that no violence is justified.  And the Nazi protesting of the removal of monuments doesn't help the cause at all.  If it was a peaceful civilian protest to protect history that would have been different.  But its ugly.  Very ugly and racist.  I still say,......violence is violence.  Murder and domestic terrorism are not violence.
It really doesn't get much more violent than that, short of outright war.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2017, 08:45:30 am »
Yes, it is. But once people around me started chanting Third Reich slogans like "blood and soil," such as they did Friday night, then I would realize that this isn't the company that I want to keep. I would realize that some bad actors, whose ideology I find reprehensible, have attached themselves to my just cause.

Sadly there isn't a larger stronger contingent of folks from SCV or WBTS reenactors who aren't taking up the mantle to save southern statues.  Instead we have these low lifes.  It sure has me depressed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:22 am »
Sadly there isn't a larger stronger contingent of folks from SCV or WBTS reenactors who aren't taking up the mantle to save southern statues.  Instead we have these low lifes.  It sure has me depressed.
True, that. Unfortunately, few decent folks want to go duke it out with the inevitable BLM/Antifa crowds that get community organized in.

C S Lewis

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2017, 11:23:08 am »
That statement was cringe worthy...he was doing fantastic until he said that.

@mystery-ak
Wasn't that "fine people" a characterization of folks whose interest was simply in opposition  to removal of the monument? Perhaps @AbaraXas is trying to connect "fine people" to those images an hang that on Trump.

At worst, it's a verbal foot fault. And it is expected from the cabal whose mission since 11/9/16 at 0200 hours has been the overturn of the election.

Does anyone here believe that, in his heart, Trump is a seig heil saluting, blood and soil fanatic or that he holds any brief at all for such nonsense? That is what antifa and their useful idiots in the media want us to believe.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2017, 11:34:24 am »

True. Civil War Trust does great work on preserving battle fields. To my knowledge, they would weigh in if battlefield monuments were threatened.

You know, for years the Klan put on their costumes and flounced around in their tiny numbers in various locales and were roundly ignored, like the crazy uncles who we cannot send to the home yet.

11/9/16 changed all that as the Prime Directive became to over turn the election, by any means necessary.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2017, 12:01:37 pm »

He acknowledged violence on both sides and condemned violence on both sides.  He also stated that he waited till he had the facts before speaking.  Somehow I doubt that the MSM is reporting all the facts and as usual is focusing on reporting the facts to avoid any blame to their side.  I think President Trump is handling this issue in a way to not further escalate violence on either side.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:34 pm »

??? Your definition of violence is different than mine. Murdering someone is ending their life.  I don't think you can get much more violent.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »
I agree with a lot of his messages, but... as President he shouldn't be saying them. This will just further divide the country.

I doubt that, but telling the truth in the face of the Big Lie is almost always a good idea.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 12:24:03 pm »
Had he prepared, he could have skillfully played the media, but yet again, they played him like a fiddle.

Tell me again how you don't bash Trump 24/7? I guess I can put you down as an antifa, BLM supporter. Only condemning one side is the same as approving the side you did not condemn.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2017, 12:33:27 pm »
This is the same when people were attacked for saying "ALL Lives Matter."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 12:41:03 pm »
1. There was violence on both sides. As a matter of fact, the alt-left people started the violence.
2. The truth is frequently the hardest message to hear.
3. The media controls the message and punishes anyone who opposes the narrative.
4. Nothing Trump was going to say was going to be sufficient so doubling down didn't hurt him that much.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline aligncare

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2017, 12:45:20 pm »
Right up there with his speech in Poland as far as clarity, coherence and staying on message.

Impossible. Trump is incapable of forming a coherent sentence, much less than a coherent thought.