Author Topic: Breakneck U.S. drilling creates “industrial inventory” of untapped wells waiting to flow  (Read 1700 times)

Offline thackney

Breakneck U.S. drilling creates “industrial inventory” of untapped wells waiting to flow
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Breakneck-U-S-drilling-creates-industrial-11820391.php
 August 15, 2017

West Texas drillers again left scores of untapped wells in their wake last month as they drilled and pumped even more oil into the oversupplied market.

Last month, oil companies left 135 more wells dormant in the Permian Basin, bringing the inventory of so-called drilled but uncompleted wells to 2,330, up 73 percent compared to last July, according to the Energy Department.

Once those wells are brought into production, they could add hundreds of thousands of oil barrels to the nation's surging output each day – even as OPEC tries to cut global supplies to support crude prices, which have stalled under $50 a barrel. In the Permian Basin, the average well comes online producing 400 barrels of oil a day, according to the consultancy Drillinginfo in Austin.

The U.S. oil industry's large buildup in untapped wells isn't really intentional. During the two-year energy bust, several big producers said they'd still drill some wells but they wouldn't frack them, keeping the oil stored underground so they could sell the crude for a higher price when the market recovered. That's largely because oil production in the average Permian well declines by 50 percent in the first year after it is brought online.

This year, only a few have adhered to that strategy. Now, oil companies are drilling faster than they can send hydraulic fracturing crews in to turn their wells on. Typically, the producers will drill a handful of wells at a time on what's called a multi-well pad, an area covered in gravel where rigs move a few dozen feet to bore the next hole in the ground. Operators usually don't start fracking until they've drilled all the wells on the pad, leaving some untapped for weeks or months....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Drilled but uncompleted wells in shale plays now at 7,059, a new record.

https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/drilling/#tabs-summary-3

Offline dfwgator

Drill, Baby, Drill!!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
And how many mult-well pads have only been drilled with one or two wells in order to lock in the lease?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And how many mult-well pads have only been drilled with one or two wells in order to lock in the lease?
Just drilling is insufficient to preserve a lease.  Well must be drilled and completed and producing to keep a lease.

Either continuous operations or continuous production, with just a month to three months of dormancy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Drilled but uncompleted wells in shale plays now at 7,059, a new record.

https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/drilling/#tabs-summary-3
I remain worried about that huge inventory of unproduced wells in a relatively new area.  Just do not have enough information to understand the potential in a new area until a few months of production occurs.  Have looked at too many decline curves to think otherwise.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

I remain worried about that huge inventory of unproduced wells in a relatively new area.  Just do not have enough information to understand the potential in a new area until a few months of production occurs.  Have looked at too many decline curves to think otherwise.

Do you have info on likely percentage of infill versus new area for ducs?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Amazing times we live in.  Who would ever thought that ng prices would stay at these levels this long.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

No I do not, just instincts, and it will vary based upon the formation.  Some formations are more predictable over a larger area than others(that pesky Bakken is more predictable than most I wager)

Rough basis - say ultimate spacing in 5000' laterals is 80 acres and 10000' laterals is 160 acres.

Bakken - I would say one should have one well for every 1280 acres minimum producing so one can ascertain the productivity somewhat for future wells.

For places like the Permian, where geologic variability is more common, I would say need one well on 640 acres or even tighter.

So for my example, if one thinks of an 80 acre spacing in Permian, better drill one well initially for every 7 DUCs or so.

Just winging those numbers.