Author Topic: Scientists discover new tectonic plate  (Read 447 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists discover new tectonic plate
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:37:54 am »
Scientists discover new tectonic plate
"We think there's another plate we're missing," researcher Tuo Zhang said.
By Brooks Hays   |   Aug. 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Aug. 14 (UPI) -- A team of researchers from Rice University in Texas have discovered a new tectonic plate off the coast of Ecuador. There were 56 plates; now, there are 57 -- and researchers think there could be one more to find.

Scientists discovered the microplate -- which they've dubbed "Malpelo" -- while analyzing the movements of what they believed to be the convergence of a trio of plates.

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2017/08/14/Scientists-discover-new-tectonic-plate/3411502719006/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:38:30 am by rangerrebew »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Scientists discover new tectonic plate
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:30 pm »
I recall in my geology class early in the 70s this was a new concept to explain the earth's surface.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Re: Scientists discover new tectonic plate
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:48:35 pm »
I recall in my geology class early in the 70s this was a new concept to explain the earth's surface.

Yup.

Continental Drift: Old
Plate Tectonics: New

Basically, instead of the continents plowing through the ocean floor, they float around as the ocean floor is active, too.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn