Author Topic: Europe Just a few more bongs for Big Ben  (Read 972 times)

Wingnut

Europe Just a few more bongs for Big Ben
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:20:39 pm »
I Never knew he toked?  That must be why England swings like a pendulum do.

LONDON — So it has come to pass that the Keeper of the Great Clock announced Monday that London’s Big Ben hour bell will be silenced for four long years as desperately needed repairs are carried out on the 158-year-old timepiece, a masterwork of Victorian ingenuity and an enduring British icon.

Londoners were not happy to hear the news, and there was lament on Twitter, with many recalling how the hourly bongs of Big Ben serve as a kind of base note for their lives.

“A silent Big Ben will be super eerie,” tweeted Rob, a history student at King’s College. “I could hear the chimes from my room in Euston, they’re the sound of London!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/just-a-few-more-bongs-for-big-ben-before-london-bell-is-silenced-for-four-years/2017/08/14/b61c59f2-80ef-11e7-902a-2a9f2d808496_story.html?utm_term=.a6122db53e70

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Europe Just a few more bongs for Big Ben
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:00 pm »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:16:09 pm »

I had envisioned an hourly snurkle snurkle snurkle psssssht sound...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:33:57 am »
From the article:
“A silent Big Ben will be super eerie,” tweeted Rob, a history student at King’s College. “I could hear the chimes from my room in Euston, they’re the sound of London!”

Not to worry.
In twenty more years you'll be listening to muslim calls for prayer from loudspeakers all over the city...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:35:18 am »
"My cousin is gay, he went to London, he was very disappointed....he found out Big Ben was a clock." - Rodney Dangerfield.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:36:15 am »
From the article:

Not to worry.
In twenty more years you'll be listening to muslim calls for prayer from loudspeakers all over the city...

Nice one Fish!    :beer:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:40:17 am »
I Never knew he toked?  That must be why England swings like a pendulum do.

LONDON — So it has come to pass that the Keeper of the Great Clock announced Monday that London’s Big Ben hour bell will be silenced for four long years as desperately needed repairs are carried out on the 158-year-old timepiece, a masterwork of Victorian ingenuity and an enduring British icon.

Londoners were not happy to hear the news, and there was lament on Twitter, with many recalling how the hourly bongs of Big Ben serve as a kind of base note for their lives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/just-a-few-more-bongs-for-big-ben-before-london-bell-is-silenced-for-four-years/2017/08/14/b61c59f2-80ef-11e7-902a-2a9f2d808496_story.html?utm_term=.a6122db53e70
If ya say it, ya gotta play it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDCpNb7wcNE

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 03:26:52 am »
"My cousin is gay, he went to London, he was very disappointed....he found out Big Ben was a clock." - Rodney Dangerfield.

It's actually a bell.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:54:33 am »
It's actually a bell.

Thank you.  :beer:

It's the nickname of the Great Bell. Not the clock. Not the tower, which was simply called Clock Tower from 1859 until 2012, when the name was changed by an act of Parliament to the Elizabeth Tower, in celebration of herself's Diamond Jubilee.

The clock itself has only broken down once - in 1976.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:10:37 am »

It's the nickname of the Great Bell. Not the clock. Not the tower, which was simply called Clock Tower from 1859 until 2012, when the name was changed by an act of Parliament to the Elizabeth Tower, in celebration of herself's Diamond Jubilee.

I remember that, @EC We sent Carter over there to clean your Clock, too.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »

:beer:  Just a little peeve of mine.  ^-^
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 01:08:47 pm »

A broken heart over anniversary of the loss of a child.  Sniff Sniff