Author Topic: Why We Think Outhouses All Had Crescent Moons in Their Doors  (Read 976 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Why We Think Outhouses All Had Crescent Moons in Their Doors
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:03 pm »
The rickety old Wild West outhouse with a crescent moon cut out of the door is one of the most enduring symbols of the era. It’s one of those images that you remember, but can’t place exactly where you first saw it. Which isn’t surprising, since it probably never existed.

From cartoons to films to modern-day replicas of historic toilets, the cut-out shape of a crescent moon in an outhouse door seems like something that is so ingrained in our cultural consciousness, that it must have existed in real life. But it doesn’t seem to have been much of a historic reality. “I have never—with my own eyes—seen a crescent moon shape in an actual outhouse I could confidently date to earlier than about 1960,” says Dr. Adam Davis of the Missouri Folklore Society. While there’s not a great deal of scholarship on the origins of the crescent moon outhouse, Davis wrote a piece on the subject in 2007. “I have seen more photographs of outhouses where I suspect the decorations to be authentically pre-mass-media that have half-moon cutouts (that is, semicircles) although, interestingly, those are never the icons one sees in cartoons. Similarly, I have seen photos of crescent moons which are entirely horns-up, as if ready to catch water, but that’s not the icon either,” he says.

Having a hole cut out of outhouse doors was definitely a real thing, providing ventilation and light into the stall, but no one is sure exactly where the idea that they were commonly crescent-shaped came from.

Continued - http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/outhouses-crescent-moons

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Why We Think Outhouses All Had Crescent Moons in Their Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »

Wingnut

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »
What a crap thread.

Offline RoosGirl

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
First toilet paper now outhouses   *hmmmm*
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:51:03 pm »
First toilet paper now outhouses   *hmmmm*

Hey..we are "Prepping" for the big EMP that is coming.  Cars won't start. No Power. No toilets will flush. A run on TP.  It's astounding  time is fleeting  madness will take its toll ....

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:55:04 pm »
Hey..we are "Prepping" for the big EMP that is coming.  Cars won't start. No Power. No toilets will flush. A run on TP.  It's astounding  time is fleeting  madness will take its toll ....

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra