Author Topic: Merck's CEO resigned from Trump's manufacturing council over Charlottesville — and immediately faced Trump's ire  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.businessinsider.com/merck-ceo-kenneth-frazier-resigns-from-trump-manufacturing-council-2017-8

Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier is resigning from President Donald Trump's manufacturing council.

"America's leaders must honor our fundamental values by clearly rejecting expressions of hatred, bigotry and group supremacy, which run counter to the American ideal that all people are created equal," Frazier said in a statement.

"As CEO of Merck and as a matter of personal conscience, I feel a responsibility to take a stand against intolerance and extremism."

Frazier is one of the few black CEOs of a major US corporation. He was the only black member of Trump's manufacturing council.

The resignation came after a weekend of violence at a white nationalist and neo-Nazi protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, in which the president did not explicitly condemn the actions of white supremacists.

Trump almost immediately fired back at Frazier, turning the conversation toward drug pricing.

More at link...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897079051277537280
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!

https://twitter.com/Merck

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Did this guy at Merck have the same response to BLM people advocating for killing of white people & cops?

Racism of all colors is wrong.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Did this guy at Merck have the same response to BLM people advocating for killing of white people & cops?

Did BLM kill somebody yesterday and I missed it?

Offline Night Hides Not

Stay classy Mr President.

Completely indefensible tweet. This is not "leadership", except in the eyes of Trump supporters.

Maybe he should've given this guy a phone call, and had a conversation instead of shooting off his tweet.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online dfwgator

"America's leaders must honor our fundamental values by clearly rejecting expressions of hatred, bigotry and group supremacy, which run counter to the American ideal that all people are created equal,"

Trump's statement on Saturday...

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides. It's been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama. This has been going on for a long, long time. It has no place in America. What is vital now is a swift restoration of law and order and the protection of innocent lives. No citizen should ever fear for their safety and security in our society. And no child should ever be afraid to go outside and play or be with their parents and have a good time."

Was he not listening?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
So why is Trump so desperately averse to naming these left wing nazis?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Completely indefensible tweet. This is not "leadership", except in the eyes of Trump supporters...

Aye.

What you read...

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides. It's been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama. This has been going on for a long, long time. It has no place in America. What is vital now is a swift restoration of law and order and the protection of innocent lives. No citizen should ever fear for their safety and security in our society. And no child should ever be afraid to go outside and play or be with their parents and have a good time."

What I read...

Offline RoosGirl

Online dfwgator

What you read...

What I read...

Is he wrong?

Offline Suppressed

Regardless of whether Mr. Frazier is right or wrong, Trump's response comes across as

He's so predictable.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
What you read...

What I read...

It would be nice to see Trump join with congressmen from both parties and make a public service announcement. They could clearly state that all people have a right to speak but we politely ask that all stand down for a few weeks, let cooler heads prevail.

If democrats refuse, Trump wins. The same is true of the various factions in the streets.

Its not a solution but it is a reprieve.

Offline driftdiver

Completely indefensible tweet. This is not "leadership", except in the eyes of Trump supporters.

Maybe he should've given this guy a phone call, and had a conversation instead of shooting off his tweet.

You're talking about the Merck guy right?

Is he wrong?
Only when he opens his mouth, or tweets, or makes a decision.
The problem is the President is condemning all, when one side killed somebody.  President Nixon didn't blamed the 4 dead protesters at Kent State on both sides.  He didn't come out the next day and say the protesters had it coming because of violence at earlier protests. 

When my son hits his sister, I do not take that moment to condemn the sister for hitting her brother 3 months ago.  That kind of reaction would be perceived as equivocating and justifying the violence.  Just like the excuses of Trump fans who have spent their time condemning Black Lives Matters for the last 48 hours.

Those of you who still call yourselves Republicans...This is your party.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:32:43 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Night Hides Not

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline driftdiver

@Once-Ler
You seriously have a problem with him condemning ALL bigotry and hate?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sigh...

Trump isn't necessarily wrong but this will just further ostracize him. He's on the road to being a lame duck Presidency.

Who would want to sign up with him knowing you might be subject to an attack like that?

Plus this is too strongman for me.

Offline Night Hides Not

Only when he opens his mouth, or tweets, or makes a decision.
The problem is the President is condemning all, when one side killed somebody.  President Nixon didn't blamed the 4 dead protesters at Kent State on both sides.  He didn't come out the next day and say the protesters had it coming because of violence at earlier protests. 

When my son hits his sister, I do not take that moment to condemn the sister for hitting her brother 3 months ago.  That kind of reaction would be perceived as equivocating and justifying the violence.  Just like the excuses of Trump fans who have spent their time condemning Black Lives Matters for the last 48 hours.

Those of you who still call yourselves Republicans...This is your party.

Well said...two wrongs don't make a right (but three do)...

Offline driftdiver

Both are wrong.

Antifa has been committing violence for a while now.   Met with deafening silence.
These nazi's have been pretty quiet but this event was allowed to escalate.
This merck jerk decides to attack Trump.

And thats Trumps fault?

EVERYONE knows how Trump reacts to an attack, he doesnt go into defense.  He attacks right back.     Big Pharma has a DEEP financial interest in Obamacare.  That guy is probably threatened by the efforts to change obamacare.

@Once-Ler
You seriously have a problem with him condemning ALL bigotry and hate?
Just the timing, wording, and sincerity of it.

Online dfwgator

Antifa has been committing violence for a while now.   Met with deafening silence.
These nazi's have been pretty quiet but this event was allowed to escalate.
This merck jerk decides to attack Trump.

And thats Trumps fault?

EVERYONE knows how Trump reacts to an attack, he doesnt go into defense.  He attacks right back.     Big Pharma has a DEEP financial interest in Obamacare.  That guy is probably threatened by the efforts to change obamacare.

He was basically looking for any excuse to get out, and there it was.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!

David Burge‏ @iowahawkblog 2h2 hours ago

Nothing says "conservative" like veiled threats of government price controls over racial resentment politics
1 reply 20 retweets 32 likes

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Stay classy Mr President.

You're a busy guy, this morning, @Once-Ler.

I don't understand this whole story.  Is this guy blaming Trump because of the Charlottesville events?  And does he have any reason to?

As for Trump's response... yeah, way classy.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.