Author Topic: North Korea and Trump administration quietly involved in 'back channel' diplomacy  (Read 663 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON (AP) - Beyond the bluster, the Trump administration has been quietly engaged in back channel diplomacy with North Korea for several months, addressing Americans imprisoned in the communist country and deteriorating relations between the long-time foes, The Associated Press has learned.

It had been known the two sides had discussions to secure the June release of an American university student. But it wasn't known until now that the contacts have continued, or that they have broached matters other than U.S. detainees.

People familiar with the contacts say the interactions have done nothing thus far to quell tensions over North Korea's nuclear weapons and missile advances, which are now fueling fears of military confrontation.

But they say the behind-the-scenes discussions could still be a foundation for more serious negotiation, including on North Korea's nuclear weapons, should President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un put aside the bellicose rhetoric of recent days and endorse a dialogue.

The contacts are occurring regularly between Joseph Yun, the U.S. envoy for North Korea policy, and Pak Song Il, a senior North Korean diplomat at the country's U.N. mission, according to U.S. officials and others briefed on the process. They weren't authorized to discuss the confidential exchanges and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Officials call it the "New York channel." Yun is the only U.S. diplomat in contact with any North Korean counterpart. The communications largely serve as a way to exchange messages, allowing Washington and Pyongyang to relay information.

Drowned out by the furor over Trump's warning to North Korea of "fire and fury like the world has never seen," Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has expressed a willingness to entertain negotiations. His condition: Pyongyang stopping tests of missiles that can now potentially reach the U.S. mainland.

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-and-trump-administration-quietly-involved-in-back-channel-diplomacy-2017-8
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Plausible, but 'anonymous sources' so take it FWIW.

Offline dfwgator

Hopefully we aren't going to write them another check like we always do.

Offline edpc

I have often wondered if they are getting paid by the mullahs and doing Iran's dirty work to get around the nuclear agreement. You would think they'd be more quiet about it, though.

Offline dfwgator

We shouldn't even talk to them until they agree to return the Pueblo.

Offline edpc

Yes, I always thought cruise missiles or a UDT team taking it out at the mooring would be a good response to nuclear testing or rocket launches.

Wingnut

We shouldn't even talk to them until they agree to return the Pueblo.

One time I sent my name and address to:  New Catalog, Pueblo, CO 81009.