Author Topic: VIDEO: Protesters Attacked Charlottesville Driver’s Car With Baseball Bat (Respectful discussion only please)  (Read 15234 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Another possibility is that he intended 'power packing' it, holding the car with the brakes (left foot) and using the accelerator to squeal tires to get the mob to move. If his foot slipped, the car would surge forward suddenly.
The problem with that is the video I did see (about half of them won't play) showed the vehicle headed down the street a ways before the impact.

Or he was having second thoughts at the last minute and then said screw it.  But yea he didn't go screaming down that street like a muslim terrorist would have.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

The desire to protect a degenerate POS from the full consequences of his actions on this thread is disgusting. 

Offline driftdiver

The desire to protect a degenerate POS from the full consequences of his actions on this thread is disgusting.

@Oceander
So as a lawyer you don't believe people should be considered innocent until proven guilty?

Oceander

@Oceander
So as a lawyer you don't believe people should be considered innocent until proven guilty?

Oh, are we in court?  Are you the judge, the jury, the defense attorney?

No.  So stop pretending. 

Offline driftdiver

Oh, are we in court?  Are you the judge, the jury, the defense attorney?

No.  So stop pretending.

@Oceander

Well then perhaps you can give us an illustration on how we are "protecting" this guy from the consequences since we aren't any of those things?  OR are you just talkin out your butt?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
My question is where did the baseball bats come from and who had them.....

The offshoot group called Peanut Butter Jelly Time.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

Can we just have the friggin' trial?    All this speculation is pointless, the truth will come out.

And if he's guilty, he fries.

Offline driftdiver

My question is where did the baseball bats come from and who had them.....

@mystery-ak
Both sides had weapons.   Weapons I've seen were clubs, bats, soda cans of concrete, frozen water bottles, spray can flame throwers, pepper spray that I've read of so far.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
See what you want.

I want the truth, and if that requires eliminating any/everything else, so be it.

I can guarantee you any defense attorney worth his ambulance chaser card will come up with a host of scenarios to establish reasonable doubt and beat whatever charges of malice they can, and that will affect what the man is charged with in order to avoid a not guilty verdict or hung jury.

So here we are, looking at all the possibilities and eliminating the ones which do not fit the evidence, basically removing reasonable doubt by refuting possible scenarios which could have led to the death and injuries involved in the event.

The rest is for the courts to decide. The presumption of innocence remains in effect, even for heinous acts, until the verdict is delivered. You, of all people, I would think would have recognized that, given your profession.

We aren't making any moral defense of what went on, but then legal defenses and morality are often unrelated. It is the legal aspect we are trying to game out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

Kinda doubt it. If they do find he took off for fear of his life because he was attacked, they may drop down to vehicular homicide and assault. If there is a riot in progress, all bets are off. He'll serve a bunch of time.
There is also the possibility he is crazy, in which case he goes to a mental institution.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

Can we just have the friggin' trial?    All this speculation is pointless, the truth will come out.

I'd imagine they'll have a hard time finding a jury.   That'll be a mess.  If he isn't found guilty I'd imagine there will be riots.

Offline driftdiver

See what you want.

I want the truth, and if that requires eliminating any/everything else, so be it.

I can guarantee you any defense attorney worth his ambulance chaser card will come up with a host of scenarios to establish reasonable doubt and beat whatever charges of malice they can, and that will affect what the man is charged with in order to avoid a not guilty verdict or hung jury.

So here we are, looking at all the possibilities and eliminating the ones which do not fit the evidence, basically removing reasonable doubt by refuting possible scenarios which could have led to the death and injuries involved in the event.

The rest is for the courts to decide. The presumption of innocence remains in effect, even for heinous acts, until the verdict is delivered. You, of all people, I would think would have recognized that, given your profession.

We aren't making any moral defense of what went on, but then legal defenses and morality are often unrelated. It is the legal aspect we are trying to game out.

His membership in the nazi party group will be problematic for this scenario.

Offline dfwgator

I'd imagine they'll have a hard time finding a jury.   That'll be a mess.  If he isn't found guilty I'd imagine there will be riots.

The tinfoiler in me thinks that if there are any 'inconvenient facts' that would come out in a trial,  this guy won't live to see it.

Offline dfwgator

There is also the possibility he is crazy, in which case he goes to a mental institution.

That's another way to get out of having a trial.

Offline bolobaby

Nor did I, and the only way that would be a possibility is if he has stopped, applied the accelerator and his foot slipped off the brake as the power came up before the tires broke loose. Without evidence, that would be difficult to establish, but I had to mention it as a possibility to be eliminated.

Fair enough.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline roamer_1

@bolobaby
@Smokin Joe

I like the analysis bolobaby.
I'd add an observation, for what it's worth...

That Challenger is a performance car. Of course it was going fast a block or two away. If I was behind the wheel of such a car, I'd be honkin on it all the time.

A guy that owns such a car is going to be proud of it, and care for it. It's a pseudo-classic.
It is a caution flag for me when folks say he took THAT car, likely his baby, and intentionally (with premeditation) caused it's destruction.

I'd never do that. If I meant to do it, I'd buy a $400 beater-with-a-heater, a big tuna-boat of some kind, that I didn't care a bit about, and stash my ride nearby for the get-away.

I think you are right-on to question the knee-jerk motive that has been assigned.
JMO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
His membership in the nazi party group will be problematic for this scenario.
No argument here. It will.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Per my previous post, here is a video close up to show just how fast he ran into those people, and they were hitting the car with the bat during and after the attack. The hitting was a reaction, not a provocation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFR-iHmTWVo

That video was strange.  It seemed to show the car traveling slowly through the crowd, finally stopping and then backing up.  Is that what happed or did they just reverse the video?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I wonder if anyone ever stopped to consider that the term alt right wasn't in use anywhere in the media in 2015 and early 2016? And that originally, alternative right was a term used by Steve Bannon to describe a new breed of young republican as apposed to the old guard.

It had nothing to do with race until the left appropriated it to mean anything from racist to anti Semitic, nationalist, white supremacist etc.

And republicans just meekly accept the theft of language to be used by the left as a political bludgeon. Welcome to PC hell, folks.

Thanks for the post.  I've been trying to figure out what the heck people mean by alt right.  You've shed some light.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline driftdiver

That video was strange.  It seemed to show the car traveling slowly through the crowd, finally stopping and then backing up.  Is that what happed or did they just reverse the video?

@Emjay

It seems he drove slowly down the street.  Braked at one point almost to a stop and then accelerated into the crowd.  He stopped when he hit the other car and then backed out at a pretty high rate.

At least that's my interpretation

Offline edpc

Per my previous post, here is a video close up to show just how fast he ran into those people, and they were hitting the car with the bat during and after the attack. The hitting was a reaction, not a provocation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFR-iHmTWVo

Problem is, they are attacking his car with bats AFTER the collision – which would explain why he reversed out of there at high-speed.  Various still photos posted here show the car undamaged as it approached.   In this video, you can tell he was arriving at some speed, as the tires 'chirp' when he goes through the dip in the intersection. Someone on the side of the road hits his car with a flagpole, as it goes by.   That may have prompted the speed up.

Unedited - some language....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxiLH2mh-w

Offline driftdiver

Problem is, they are attacking his car with bats AFTER the collision – which would explain why he reversed out of there at high-speed.  Various still photos posted here show the car undamaged as it approached.   In this video, you can tell he was arriving at some speed, as the tires 'chirp' when he goes through the dip in the intersection. Someone on the side of the road hits his car with a flagpole, as it goes by.   That may have prompted the speed up.

Unedited - some language....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxiLH2mh-w

Funny how they are mad at the cops for not being there.    Before the event they are all about anarchy.

Offline roamer_1

That one isn't.  He had the 2010 base model with V-6.  Not rated highly.

Sure sounded like it had pipes to me in one of the vids... doesn't matter. My observation remains.
I am no ruling out crazy, it just doesn't seem to me that a guy would do that intentionally, wrecking his own car, miles away from home.

It doesn't make sense. Maybe he was just that fanatical. Maybe something else.

Offline edpc

Sure sounded like it had pipes to me in one of the vids... doesn't matter. My observation remains.
I am no ruling out crazy, it just doesn't seem to me that a guy would do that intentionally, wrecking his own car, miles away from home.

It doesn't make sense. Maybe he was just that fanatical. Maybe something else.

You can believe his electronic devices have been seized and they are combing through his communications to see if there are any discussions of intentions prior to the event. Unless they have something like that or a statement from him, they're going to be hard-pressed to prove intent. My guess is negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter.