Author Topic: Back to the wild: How nature is reclaiming farmland  (Read 711 times)

rangerrebew

Back to the wild: How nature is reclaiming farmland
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:01 pm »

9 August 2017
Back to the wild: How nature is reclaiming farmland

Farmland is shrinking for the first time on record thanks in part to consumer choices. What does this mean for the environment and the future of food?

By Joseph Poore

IT’S AN odd juxtaposition that’s starting to pop up in far-flung places around the world. Across the hilly regions of China, the scars of agriculture are being covered by a messy mix of trees and shrubs. In parts of Iran, Australia and Kazakhstan, wild animals are reclaiming swathes of abandoned pasture. And in Portugal, Chile and Argentina, abandoned farms serve as lifelines that connect fragments of intact wilderness.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23531380-500-back-to-the-wild-how-nature-is-reclaiming-farmland/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:47:42 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Back to the wild: How nature is reclaiming farmland
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:08 pm »
Where I live, farmland is shrinking not due to nature but the expansion of cities and suburbs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Back to the wild: How nature is reclaiming farmland
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:37:38 pm »
Where I live, farmland is shrinking not due to nature but the expansion of cities and suburbs.

Around here its returning to nature which is great for nature lovers like myself. Unfortunately the state is snatching the land up.