Author Topic: To Experience Texas History, Look Beyond The Alamo To Goliad  (Read 965 times)

Offline corbe

To Experience Texas History, Look Beyond The Alamo To Goliad
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:49:16 pm »
To Experience Texas History, Look Beyond The Alamo To Goliad

By David Thornton  |  August 12, 2017, 11:42am  |  @captainkudzu

“It isn’t what you expect,” people told me. “You’ll be disappointed.”

A lot of people had the same reaction about my upcoming visit to the Alamo. After a year in Texas, we decided to take our family to visit the famous shrine to the Texas Revolution in San Antonio. When we got there, even my children sensed what our native Texan friends had been telling us.

I have visited many different battlefields from the Revolution and the Civil War, but the Alamo was different. Most battlefields are national parks that have preserved the tranquility and dignity of the historic sites. The fact that the Alamo was located just outside the town of Bexar in Mexican Tejas and, after Texas independence, the city of San Antonio grew up around it probably accounts for much of why the Alamo battlefield is different.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/to-experience-texas-history-look-beyond-the-alamo-to-goliad/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: To Experience Texas History, Look Beyond The Alamo To Goliad
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »
   Correct me if I'm wrong.

My reading was that Gen Houston wanted Fannin and his troops to join up with him on his journey to East Texas (He also thought defending the Alamo was a waste of precious resources), Col Fannin, helping civilians escape Santa Anna (my forefathers), tried to leave Goliad but by then it was to late and he and his detachment were caught, surrendered and promptly executed. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:35:45 pm »
Anyone visiting the Alamo should make the time to walk across the street into the Menger Hotel! It literally REEKS with history!  Teddy Roosevelt recruited Ruffriders in the bar downstairs!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:05:17 pm »
Some Texas History Museums to visit:

Bullock Texas State History Museum

San Jacinto Museum of History

Star of the Republic Museum