Author Topic: Rock Bottom: Texas Democrats Have No Candidate For Governor  (Read 3120 times)

Offline corbe

Rock Bottom: Texas Democrats Have No Candidate For Governor
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:51 am »

Rock Bottom: Texas Democrats Have No Candidate For Governor
Matt Vespa
Posted: Aug 09, 2017 3:15 PM

 Well, while Democrats may jump for glee about President Trump’s approval ratings, two things they should know a) they could rebound enough for the GOP to comfortably retain their majority in congress; and b) it really doesn’t matter if the political climate is favorable to you if you have zero candidates to run in those elections. Yes, we’ve all heard the stories about thousands of candidates having interest to run as Democrats next year. How many of them are good, solid candidates? If all they can do is scream “I’m against Trump,” the GOP is going to win—again. The jury is still out, though the Democratic Party seems to heading for a collision course with their geographic wall. In Texas, that’s not even a debate because the Democrats have no one to run against Gov. Greg Abbott next year. Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro is also taking a pass. Meanwhile, Abbott is entering campaign mode, with millions in the war chest. His only threat is if Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick mounts a primary challenge (via Associated Press):

<..snip..>

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/08/09/rock-bottom-texas-democrats-have-no-candidate-for-governor-n2366240
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

Re: Rock Bottom: Texas Democrats Have No Candidate For Governor
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:42:31 am »
Can't they repackage Abortion Barbie for another run.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:51:48 am »
And, Mark White just died, so I guess he's out.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:55:54 am »
Is Ann Richards kid still a TX resident? She is the perfect Rat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:21 am »

She's busy running Planned Parenthood.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:03 am »

Cecile?  Yeah, she's got all the rightleft credentials.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecile_Richards

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:21:59 pm »
I would say Mark Cuban is a possibility, but I think he has sights set on a bigger job.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:36:39 pm »
I just had a thought - a dangerous development I know - but perhaps the Texas Democrats should run Joe Straus as their candidate.  It worked for them in the Texas House and quite a few "Republicans" helped them in the effort!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 01:54:51 pm »
Democrats will fail again but in the long run, the party needs to reinvent itself.

The Hispanic population in Texas, now pegged at almost 40 percent, grew nearly four times faster than the white population between 2010 and 2016. But Hispanic turnout has been lower than in other states with significant Hispanic populations.

If Democrats fail to recruit a viable opponent against Abbott, it will represent yet another low point for a party that desperately needs to pull a rabbit out of its hat.

Continued: http://www.dentonrc.com/opinion/editorial/2017/08/09/democrats-need-viable-candidate-governor

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 02:13:44 pm »
Democrats will fail again but in the long run, the party needs to reinvent itself.

Thinking the Hispanics are going to near automatically vote democrat is a mistake.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Texas-Latino-vote-splits-5876952.php
 November 6, 2014

...Republican U.S. Sen. John Cornyn made a statement by winning 48 percent of the Latino vote, besting his Democratic opponent, David Alameel, who got 47 percent, according to exit polls....

...Some exit polls also showed GOP governor-elect Greg Abbott winning 44 percent of the Latino vote, a higher percentage than the 38 percent Republican Gov. Rick Perry won in 2010....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »
The percentage would have been higher for the GOP if you stripped out the illegal votes in Travis, Harris and one or two other "sanctuary" controlled area's.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:27:13 pm »
@corbe
@txradioguy

The article said Texas Hispanic population 40%.

It is a large mistake to assume Hispanics vote Democrat, at least in Texas.  Hispanics tend to be family centered, and they tend to join Catholic churches. Plus, they tend to be males and females, and not transgender/gay degenerates.  They are not drawn to the Democrat party here. They tend to vote Republican in this state.

Also, our Republican State Party started some years ago to open Republican offices in Spanish areas.  If you have an office, they will come. Our county was Democrat for eons, but my husband and I opened a Republican office and people came, plus we worked endlessly and turned the county from majority Democrat to majority Republican in eight years. Our Spanish people voted Republican in our county as they do in most every Texas county.

Governor Greg Abbott is "bigly" popular.  No one could beat him.  From his wheelchair, he goes hunting when deer season opens.  He is a gun pro governor and in Texas, that matters.  A Democrat with ideas to shut down guns and abort babies, will not get Spanish people or the majority of other people to vote for that.

One vote matters in counties.  While we were turning our county Republican, one of our friends was running for precinct chairman.  He and my husband were in a gas station with eats inside and they spoke to the fellow who owned it.  He was from India, was a citizen and registered to vote.  He said he would vote for our guy for precinct chairman.  On the night of the election, I was working in central counting, and imagine my surprise when our guy was elected precinct chairman BY ONE VOTE.  Our Indian friend's vote made the difference.  Your vote matters.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:35:36 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:34:44 pm »
The percentage would have been higher for the GOP if you stripped out the illegal votes in Travis, Harris and one or two other "sanctuary" controlled area's.
@txradioguy

That is not true.  Cities do not hold state elections - counties do. These elections are run by the state and the state secretary of state controls voter data bases and every registered voter is checked by the state to be a citizen before that person is added to the voter data base.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:36:02 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:01:53 pm »
every registered voter is checked by the state to be a citizen

How is that verified?  What is checked against what database?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:13:44 pm »
@txradioguy

That is not true.  Cities do not hold state elections - counties do. These elections are run by the state and the state secretary of state controls voter data bases and every registered voter is checked by the state to be a citizen before that person is added to the voter data base.

It most certainly IS true!  The illegal votes were there regardless of who ran the election!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 03:26:18 pm »
How is that verified?  What is checked against what database?
@thackney

In 2002, after the Florida debacle, our federal government passed new laws, "Help America Vote Act of 2002", to get some order nationally in federal elections.

One section of that law moved new voter registration from counties to the state secretary of state, elections division. They did that because, at a county level, the county has no authority to check a voter's background.  The state election division HAS the power to check citizen status by birth records, naturalized citizen, criminal records, driver's license, passports, etc.. If the state finds the person is a citizen, they communicate that to the county to add that person to the list.  If the person is not a citizen, that is communicated and the person is not added to the list.  This procedure is definitely done in Texas.  I worked with the party when Texas had to re-write their election laws to match the new federal laws.

The reason I know this for sure, is, I was training Republican chairmen and election judges/clerks for ten years and I had to know the law to do this training.  I had to re-write my training documents at that time to include these new laws.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 03:27:26 pm »
I would vote Governor Abbott for POTUS in a heartbeat.     My favorite politician today by far.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 03:29:31 pm »
It most certainly IS true!  The illegal votes were there regardless of who ran the election!

You doth protest too much!  (Shakespeare)

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 03:31:34 pm »
@thackney

In 2002, after the Florida debacle, our federal government passed new laws, "Help America Vote Act of 2002", to get some order nationally in federal elections.

One section of that law moved new voter registration from counties to the state secretary of state, elections division. They did that because, at a county level, the county has no authority to check a voter's background.  The state election division HAS the power to check citizen status by birth records, naturalized citizen, criminal records, driver's license, passports, etc.. If the state finds the person is a citizen, they communicate that to the county to add that person to the list.  If the person is not a citizen, that is communicated and the person is not added to the list.  This procedure is definitely done in Texas.  I worked with the party when Texas had to re-write their election laws to match the new federal laws.

The reason I know this for sure, is, I was training Republican chairmen and election judges/clerks for ten years and I had to know the law to do this training.  I had to re-write my training documents at that time to include these new laws.

Right! And how effective do you suppose the SOS Election division is at screening out illegal registrations?   Not very is my estimate based on my own personal experience!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 03:33:21 pm »
You doth protest too much!  (Shakespeare)

Perhaps! But protest I will until the problem is resolved once and for all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 03:43:26 pm »
Right! And how effective do you suppose the SOS Election division is at screening out illegal registrations?   Not very is my estimate based on my own personal experience!
@CatherineofAragon
@Bigun

Then, you should turn in those names to your district attorney for investigation!  He/she is required to do an investigation and if he/she doesn't do it, send the names to the Texas Attorney General and he is required to do it if the district attorney does not!
When Greg Abbott was our Attorney General he did these investigations and I read about every one of them as the Attorney General has on his website every investigation he is doing!  Try going to that website now to see what the present Attorney General is doing!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »
@CatherineofAragon
@Bigun

Then, you should turn in those names to your district attorney for investigation!  He/she is required to do an investigation and if he/she doesn't do it, send the names to the Texas Attorney General and he is required to do it if the district attorney does not!
When Greg Abbott was our Attorney General he did these investigations and I read about every one of them as the Attorney General has on his website every investigation he is doing!  Try going to that website now to see what the present Attorney General is doing!

I know what Ken Paxton is doing now but that has no bearing what so ever on Wingy's statement earlier on this thread! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 04:10:05 pm »
All of a sudden a "poll watcher" is an expert on how it is impossible for illegals to register and vote in TX. 
Well, Butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

Also I said Travis and Harris. .... since when did they become cities?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:12:28 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »
Harris and Travis are counties, not cities.  The counties are not sanctuary counties - the city of Austin and the city of Houston may have declared themselves sanctuary "cities", but that will likely go away after the state stops giving them money.

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 06:51:14 pm »
Harris and Travis are counties, not cities.  The counties are not sanctuary counties - the city of Austin and the city of Houston may have declared themselves sanctuary "cities", but that will likely go away after the state stops giving them money.

<>  Don't talk to me again.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:02:42 pm by Mod2 »