Author Topic: Alabama Senate hopeful: 'You could say that' America today is evil  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Alabama Senate hopeful: 'You could say that' America today is evil
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »
We once spent two hours discussing the parable of the Prodigal Son and, with 3 priests in the room, we could not agree on exactly what Jesus was trying to tell us with that story.

That's pretty sad.  I always thought that was a very straight forward passage in the Bible.  One that speaks to every person who has strayed and come back for redemption.  The value that Christ has for the sinner.  The white robe and the feast.  What do you think it means?  Just wondering.

That is the surface lesson, of course.  But what about the faithful son.  A lot of people identified with him.  Was Jesus telling us that just being faithful people is not worthy of appreciation and a feast.  One Priest said the Father was the hero of the story as he represents God who forgives everything.

We can find many meanings in the parables.  I'm not gonna spend all day arguing Bible passages with you, although I probably could.

I just don't like it when people use the Bible to justify their own hate, prejudice and hypocrisy.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2017, 09:13:08 pm »
IIRC there is a passage in Matthew where Jesus instructs the disciples to honor the word and teachings of his Father as if they were his own.

And the OT is very clear on Homosexuality being a sin.

So that being said...

Oh, come on, @txradioguy ... please don't drag us down into the Old Testament and please don't try to Out-Bible me.  Even before God sent the Witness with the Bible to me, I knew the Bible.  Lord knows I studied it enough and with Biblical scholars and priests.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2017, 09:16:30 pm »
If it take some kind of esoteric search to find what Jesus thought about homosexuality, I'm thinking it wasn't top of his agenda.

How about the Parable of the Good Samaritan?  What do you think Jesus was trying to teach us? 

Samaritans were a despised people in those days and considered evil.  Jesus use a Samaritan to try to teach his disciples that people should be judged by their actions, not their reputation.

Again, like I said before, you have homo friends you love and therefore have chosen to close your eyes and ears to what is there if you are willing to look and hear.  Your choice.  I pretty much knew you would not read that PDF; you are too comfortable where you are to consider a Biblical point of view on the subject.  I have no need to go from parable to parable and move away from my last post to you.  It's all there in black and white with references to exact Bible passages that support the view that Jesus did indeed care about homosexuality.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:46 pm »
That is the surface lesson, of course.  But what about the faithful son.  A lot of people identified with him.  Was Jesus telling us that just being faithful people is not worthy of appreciation and a feast.  One Priest said the Father was the hero of the story as he represents God who forgives everything.

We can find many meanings in the parables.  I'm not gonna spend all day arguing Bible passages with you, although I probably could.

I just don't like it when people use the Bible to justify their own hate, prejudice and hypocrisy.

:thumbsup: @Emjay

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2017, 09:30:45 pm »
Yeah, that doesn't mean everyone should just do whatever the hell they want or be excused from doing whatever the hell the want.

I am LCMS.  The LCMS website is pretty thorough and has a lot of resources covering pretty much every topic you would want to ask.  This link specifically will open a PDF that answers your statement of Jesus not addressing homosexuality in the Bible.  That's not exactly true.

www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=3503

That was a great article.

Concise, and right on the money.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2017, 09:57:28 pm »

Bullsh*t.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:39 pm »

In my own words.  Of course the Father is the good one.  The Father is a good, good Father.  Loving and kind.  Full of Mercy and Grace.  And that of course is the story.  That there is no sin that  can separate us from the love of God.  We could do all the things that the Prodigal Son did.  We would see ourselves unworthy.  But Christ died on the cross so that we could have salvation.  That we could share in the Wedding Feast.  That we could be clothed in white Robes regardless of our filthy rags.

The brother may have been faithful but he was jealous and lacked mercy and grace.  He didn't understand the importance God places on lost sheep.  He didn't understand the Father.  You could compare a lot of religious people to the brother.

Here is commentary to read.  Its about redemption.

http://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=mhc&b=42&c=15
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2017, 10:13:10 pm »
Oh, come on, @txradioguy ... please don't drag us down into the Old Testament and please don't try to Out-Bible me.  Even before God sent the Witness with the Bible to me, I knew the Bible.  Lord knows I studied it enough and with Biblical scholars and priests.

Not trying to "out Bible" anyone. Just pointing out what Jesus said to his disciples about the word of the Father.

He cautioned them not to think that his teachings anyway superceded what was taught in the OT. If anything what Jesus taught was a reinforcement of the OT.

Perhaps that witness with the Bible needs to revisit you for a refresher.

Your attempts to justify and excuse perversion shows the lessons you learned either didn't take or you've substituted something else for what you learned out of expedience. 

And I guess I should point out that I seriously doubt that God or Jesus would approve of someone who claims to know the Bible in such an expert manner as yourself to try and use that supposed knowledge to make yourself appear to be better than someone or to belittle them.

Pride goeth before the fall...

Just sayin...  :blank:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2017, 10:22:31 pm »
That was a great article.

Concise, and right on the money.

I love the LCMS website.  They really have sound information on every issue with references to the Bible verse that supports what is written.  Things are easy to find and easy to read.  And why re-write what someone else has already written and written better than I ever could. :)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:58 pm »
I love the LCMS website.  They really have sound information on every issue with references to the Bible verse that supports what is written.  Things are easy to find and easy to read.  And why re-write what someone else has already written and written better than I ever could. :)

Yep. It didn't seem 'esoteric' to me at all. Straightforward and to the point.

Oceander

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:43 pm »
Just

:facepalm2:

Offline Freedom928

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2017, 03:20:34 am »
Cutting and pasting Trump propaganda is crap.

Try to remember that.
Okay, I know your type, all BS no substance.

That is what I will remember.

Are you ready for grade school yet?
Political Correctness Offends Me.

Offline Freedom928

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2017, 03:23:03 am »
Just pointing out what a toothless bully you are.

Why do you constantly try to do things to silence people who disagree with you.

Appearently You think that YOUR opinion should have more weight than anyone else here that doens't agree with you. And you let us know that all the time.

You whine like a baby.  There is no opinion in that...just a lot of crying.

And remind me again who are the last two people that got banned?

Hint: They weren't blind Trump supporters like yourself.

Only of the Shooting Sports Forum.  Which means I have zero power around here.

Wow! You really are a brat. People like you generally don't last long on these forums. Too abrasive yet bring nothing to the table.

HonestJohn

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:14 am »
Wow! You really are a brat. People like you generally don't last long on these forums. Too abrasive yet bring nothing to the table.

18 posts and you say that.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:43:36 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Freedom928

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2017, 05:18:02 am »

Eighteen posts here; tens of thousands elsewhere.

LOL. See how I did that. Nice and small without taking up all kinds of extra space. Oops; did I say that after only 19 posts? Shame on me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:40 pm »
Eighteen posts here; tens of thousands elsewhere.

LOL. See how I did that. Nice and small without taking up all kinds of extra space. Oops; did I say that after only 19 posts? Shame on me.

@Freedom928

Welcome to TBR!  You are doing just fine!  Don't let the few resident jackasses around here put you off as there are plenty of reasonably sane people posting here as well!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2017, 01:19:46 pm »

Project much?  I think so.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:21 pm »

:silly:

@HonestJohn John

He just doesn't know does he?