Author Topic: What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits  (Read 1659 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 01:34:43 pm »
I Sailed wrote:
"Did you read the topic?  What are you trying to say?  Seems like a comment that does not belong in this thread."

Huh?
My post 2 in reply to you was about the only reply apropos to the topic.

Let's reiterate the facts:
You began by saying:
"I just got my SS packet for my first check and in reading the material, I found this..."

You found a printed statement that accompanied your first check, right?
So... you read the statement and seem to be upset by it.
Then, you stated:
"The claim made by so many that Social Security has its own 'Trust' is an obvious lie, as pronounced now by the Social Security Administration."

I take it from that statement that you are upset about SS and the sources of revenues that fund it. Do you dispute that?

So...
Again: if you ARE in fact displeased with Social Security, "lies" and all, why are you taking the money they give you?
Why don't you send the check back?

Full disclosure:
I retired in 2012, but before that I hadn't paid into Social Security since 1979.
My retirement income comes from another source (Railroad Retirement).
I don't have any problems with that -- for 32 years I paid far more into RRRetirement than I would have paid into SS.
I accept the payment from them and smile.
Twisting in the wind is what I see.

I am making a point about the lies too many people have stated regarding the sanctity of the 'Social Security Trust Fund' and the allusion there is a pile of money paid in over the years waiting for you to tap it.  Algore made that famous.

Now even Social Security Administration states without equivocation that, not only is there is no money there, but the sources of any payments made by Social Security is from general revenues, not from any trust that set up.

Is that clear to you?   

BTW, my first payments into Social Security was 50 years ago when I turned 16 in 1967.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39:03 pm »
I know someone who lost the use of their legs (and most of their arm movement) to a blood clot in the spinal column at T4. It took her over 6 months to get the first check. Needless to say, she couldn't work, couldn't pay the bills, and had a daughter in school. A bunch of friends chipped in to keep her lights and water on and make her rent, but she could have used a lawyer to go to bat for her. SSDI denied her claim the first time.

I know someone who gets SSI for mental illness. But she has a job at the local pool where they pay her under the table (free membership). Her partner went on SSI for "sensitive hearing" and he fixes cars under the table.
Get a lawyer and the check will come. They backdate the application and the lawyer gets the backlog money IIRC
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:41:15 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:56 pm »
I know someone who gets SSI for mental illness. But she has a job at the local pool where they pay her under the table (free membership). Her partner went on SSI for "sensitive hearing" and he fixes cars under the table.
Get a lawyer and the check will come. They backdate the application and the lawyer gets the backlog money IIRC
IIRC correctly the minimum I would have had to pay a lawyer was $2500 and it could go higher on percentage of the back pay. Here is a link to one of California's biggest disability ___________ er,lawyer/doctors and their fee explanation.

http://www.drbilllatouratty.com/how-much-does-a-california-disability-lawyer-cost/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:37:54 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:36 pm »
Twisting in the wind is what I see.

I am making a point about the lies too many people have stated regarding the sanctity of the 'Social Security Trust Fund' and the allusion there is a pile of money paid in over the years waiting for you to tap it.  Algore made that famous.

Now even Social Security Administration states without equivocation that, not only is there is no money there, but the sources of any payments made by Social Security is from general revenues, not from any trust that set up.

Is that clear to you?   

BTW, my first payments into Social Security was 50 years ago when I turned 16 in 1967.

No offense, but you don't seem to be grasping that SSI is a separate program from OASI and DI, which ARE in fact entirely funded by SS taxes and DO have "trust funds". The paper work you received is just telling you that in addition to your OASI benefit, you may also qualify for a supplemental income program. Mentioning that that particular program, SSI, is funded from general revenues is not any kind of "admission" that the OASI and DI trust funds don't exist...

Medicare BTW is different in that it is funded both by the Medicare tax and by general revenues (up to 50% IIRC)...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA