Author Topic: Researchers explore what happens when people hear voices that others don't  (Read 898 times)

rangerrebew

Researchers explore what happens when people hear voices that others don't
August 10, 2017

People who hear voices—both with and without a diagnosed psychotic illness—are more sensitive than other subjects to a 125-year-old experiment designed to induce hallucinations. And the subjects' ability to learn that these hallucinations were not real may help pinpoint those in need of psychiatric treatment, suggests a new Yale-led study published Aug. 11 in the journal Science.

People with schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses often report hearing voices, but so do other people with no diagnosed psychiatric disorder. Philip Corlett, an assistant professor of psychiatry, and Al Powers, a clinical instructor in psychiatry, wanted to identify factors that contribute to auditory hallucinations and to tease apart what makes some people's experiences troubling and others' benign.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-08-explore-people-voices-dont.html

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I know what happens.

I start posting like a madman.   :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Auditory hallucinations can be a result of sleep deprivation. Not necessarily voices, but music as well.
Then, too, quirks of acoustics can have one person hear things another cannot, and make sounds seem to come from places where no one is.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

:shrug:

One man's 'psychosis' is another man's 'vision'.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
:shrug:

One man's 'psychosis' is another man's 'vision'.
Most seeking a vision put themselves in physically extreme situations in re: sleep, nutrition, hydration, temperatures, remote locations, and/or utilize substances to achieve the state in which they experience a vision.

Others seek the state, the 'vision' is a side effect. Some may have the sort of imbalances which cause altered mental states physically inherent. Then there are other, spiritual aspects which run the gamut from miracles to demonic possession, as well.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Most seeking a vision put themselves in physically extreme situations in re: sleep, nutrition, hydration, temperatures, remote locations, and/or utilize substances to achieve the state in which they experience a vision.

Others seek the state, the 'vision' is a side effect. Some may have the sort of imbalances which cause altered mental states physically inherent. Then there are other, spiritual aspects which run the gamut from miracles to demonic possession, as well.

In that, I doubt the 'researchers' are equipped with the knowledge (discernment) to know the difference... beginning with the statement that the things seen 'are not really there', or are 'hallucinations'.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:10:57 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I have profound hearing loss in one ear with accompanying tinnitus and there are times it really sounds like some one murmuring in a very low voice, then again it just might be Satan. Well screw him, he never did deliver on those promises, so no more sacrifices!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I have profound hearing loss in one ear with accompanying tinnitus and there are times it really sounds like some one murmuring in a very low voice, then again it just might be Satan. Well screw him, he never did deliver on those promises, so no more sacrifices!

:silly:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley