Author Topic: China Says Countdown For War With India Has Begun  (Read 2350 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
China Says Countdown For War With India Has Begun
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:56:37 pm »
The relationship between India and China seemed to worsen Wednesday when the Chinese Foreign Ministry said that 53 people and an Indian bulldozer was in China's territory and advised India to pull them back. This followed a warning Tuesday when an editorial in the state-run China Daily said that the "countdown to a clash between the two forces has begun."

"India should withdraw its troops and equipment. Regardless of how many Indian troops have trespassed into and stayed in Chinese territory, they have gravely infringed on China's sovereignty," the ministry said, the Global Times reported.

The China Daily editorial said the clock was ticking and that it seemed like a clash would be “an inevitable conclusion” between the two prominent Asian countries if India did pull back its troops from the disputed Doklam region.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/says-china-countdown-war-india-113220364.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: China Says Countdown For War With India Has Begun
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:15:33 pm »
Well that could be fun...
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:38:22 pm »
Well that could be fun...

At least it would keep their full military force off the Korean Peninsula if hostilities break out..

Offline dfwgator

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:54 am »
I'm sure both sides are itching for a little workout. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:13:47 am »
Chinese and Indian media have had reports of an evacuation of the border village of Nathang.

http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/newsindia/india-has-ordered-evacuation-of-frontier-sikkim-village-chinese-media/ar-AApPtku?li=AAgges1

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:36:36 am »
Wow where the hell did this come from?

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:33 am »
Wow where the hell did this come from?

It's been going on since the beginning of summer, but the coverage has been thin to non-existent here in the US.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:36 am »
The Indians and Chinese have fought a number of little skirmishes with each other over the years. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:46:44 am »
Is this trumps fault too?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 12:48:39 am »

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:35 am »

No because he'll handle it.  It will be handled.  He handles everything.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:43 am »

Not directly, but you can be sure this is being used as a bargaining chip against him, as his earlier negotiations didn't go so well with the Chinese.  He blew that, and we're seeing indirect effects of that and the North Korea situation. 

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 11:22:59 am »
If it wasn't for the Kennedy administration, the last India/China conflict over this region would have widened considerably.

They sent in diplomats to help end the conflict before Pakistan jumped into the war, which would have forced a total wartime mobilization for Indian forces.

And two powers, despite being underdeveloped at the time, each had over a billion people.  Which would have been a massive war, even despite the lack of development.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 11:28:36 am »
No because he'll handle it.  It will be handled.  He handles everything.

Good lord let's hope not.

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 01:15:48 pm »
If it wasn't for the Kennedy administration, the last India/China conflict over this region would have widened considerably.

They sent in diplomats to help end the conflict.....

That's not even close to what happened.  The Chinese had caught India unprepared.  There was a cease fire and China submitted a 5 point plan to end hostilities.  It's was overwhelmingly in their favor, so India rejected it.  Hostilities resumed for a time, with India being hard pressed again.  China stopped and re-iterated their plan.  Nehru reluctantly agreed.  Between the two cease fires, the US had sent supplies to India and the USS Kitty Hawk was being deployed to support them.  That was canceled at the second cease fire.

The US was so alarmed by the Chinese aggression, they had met and McNamara discussed intervention with the potential use of nuclear weapons, should China resume hostilities in the future.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
It's been going on since the beginning of summer, but the coverage has been thin to non-existent here in the US.

Another reason I don't watch US news channels.  You learn absolutely nothing about what's going on in the rest of the world.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 06:14:19 pm »

Updated today.....

With China intensifying its bellicose tone amid the ongoing Doklam standoff, India has deployed more troops along the entire stretch of its border with China in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh sectors, senior government officials said.

According to PTI, the officials said that the “caution level” among the troops has also been raised. “The troop level along the border with China in the Sikkim and Arunachal sectors has been increased,” said the officials on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the information.

The move to increase the deployment along the nearly 1,400-km Sino-India border from Sikkim to Arunachal Pradesh was taken after conducting a detailed analysis of the situation, the officials said.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »
Doklam standoff: China steps up troop presence, PLA analyst says Beijing will make no ‘compromise’

http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/newsindia/doklam-standoff-china-steps-up-troop-presence-pla-analyst-says-beijing-will-make-no-‘compromise’/ar-AApQuAQ?li=AAgges1

HonestJohn

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »
That's not even close to what happened.  The Chinese had caught India unprepared.  There was a cease fire and China submitted a 5 point plan to end hostilities.  It's was overwhelmingly in their favor, so India rejected it.  Hostilities resumed for a time, with India being hard pressed again.  China stopped and re-iterated their plan.  Nehru reluctantly agreed.  Between the two cease fires, the US had sent supplies to India and the USS Kitty Hawk was being deployed to support them.  That was canceled at the second cease fire.

The US was so alarmed by the Chinese aggression, they had met and McNamara discussed intervention with the potential use of nuclear weapons, should China resume hostilities in the future.

No.

http://historyinpieces.com/research/nehru-jfk-sino-indian-war
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nehru-sought-us-help-during-1962-indochina-war-book/article7761071.ece
https://www.quora.com/How-did-US-President-John-F-Kennedy-prevent-China-and-Pakistans-plan-to-invade-India-in-1962

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 06:45:05 pm »
No.

http://historyinpieces.com/research/nehru-jfk-sino-indian-war
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nehru-sought-us-help-during-1962-indochina-war-book/article7761071.ece
https://www.quora.com/How-did-US-President-John-F-Kennedy-prevent-China-and-Pakistans-plan-to-invade-India-in-1962

Ummmm....yes.  This is from your source, which backs up what I said previously.

Referring to the subsequent instructions passed by Kennedy to his administration, Mr. Riedel described them as the one that of a President preparing for war.

But before the U.S. would take further steps, China announced unilateral ceasefire.

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:36 pm »
Ummmm....yes.  This is from your source, which backs up what I said previously.

Referring to the subsequent instructions passed by Kennedy to his administration, Mr. Riedel described them as the one that of a President preparing for war.

But before the U.S. would take further steps, China announced unilateral ceasefire.

Yes, he did send military aid.  But he didn't *JUST* send aid.  He sent out a team of diplomats to talk to Pakistan and China.

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:10:49 pm »
Yes, he did send military aid.  But he didn't *JUST* send aid.  He sent out a team of diplomats to talk to Pakistan and China.

That's not what ended it, as you claimed.  If anything, the diplomats were sent to get a better understanding of the full picture, as the source material you cited states.

Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara was sharply critical of the nature of the Indian requests and argued that sending help was futile until they had a better sense of what kind of help would be useful. That led to the sending of a fact-finding team led by veteran diplomat Averell Harriman.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:11:16 pm by edpc »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:18:36 pm »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 07:43:34 pm »
Paging Europe....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

That was made into a great Geico commercial...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: