Author Topic: Poll: Majority of Republicans Would Favor Postponing 2020 Elections if Trump Proposed It  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Too many times I've seen Trumpers laughing off totalitarian "suggestions" from Trump as jokes only to end up seeking to justify them later on. 
During the campaign Trump said something about wanting to open up the libel laws to prosecute media and they all laughed at his great joke. Now they talk about prosecuting reporters for leaking national secrets that are really just embarrassing leaks from a chaotic white house.

Yeah, but ...  there's always a butt, isn't there?

I think Freedom of the Press should be absolute, but is it sacred?  I don't think being a media outlet is a license to outright lie.  And I think the media is guilty of that and then ... MAYBE ... an apology back with the want ads.

People should be able to sue for libel.  It should be hard, but not impossible.  Right now, it's kind of impossible because you have to prove malice.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The Hate-Trump-Brigade bought it hook, line, and sinker.

It is the Trump militants at TOS and Facebook groups who openly called for Trump to act as a dictator and punish his political enemies.  Hell, I had an acquaintance tell me the same thing to my face.   It is completely plausible that the same mob would thumbs-up a call to postpone an election if it served their leader.

I certainly don't doubt the stated results from the Post.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You and a few others here only want to hear political solutions to moral and foundational problems.  You are not interested in the root cause of where we find ourselves, only in the temporary relief of the symptoms.

You put your faith and trust in men and their institutions - and it is from there you are wanting to hear positive "solutions".

Sorry, but that is not where any solutions are going to be found.  Just the opposite.

Conservatives.

So was the idea of Independence in the 1750's and 60's.

Just keep screaming for me to stop with the negative waves Moriarty.  Maybe do a hookah to make up for my negative waves intruding on your happy thoughts.

Go to TOS then, and have a nice happy, healthy dose of Trump Groupthink without any shred of doubt or risk any exposure to Trump hate or criticism.

Knock yourself out trying to do that from within the Plantation.

I'm done practicing insanity.

"I'm done practicing insanity."

Somehow, I don't think you are.  You say weird stuff like we shouldn't place faith in men or institutions but then cite the founders and the declaration of independence.  Those things involved men and institutions.

Unless you want to live in some combine and spend your time chanting, you have to deal with reality.

I am not screaming at you.  I'm really wasting my time but, then again, it is my time.

You keep assuming I'm a Trump worshipper and I cannot seem to disabuse you of that notion.  I was for Ted Cruz and I still am.

The only reason I defend Trump at all here is that his enemies are worse and I want to give him a fair shake.  I was banned from Free Republic for making negative comments about Trump.  Not only was I banned but I was verbally abused in horrible and vulgar ways and JRob never did a dam thing about it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
"I'm done practicing insanity."

Somehow, I don't think you are.  You say weird stuff like we shouldn't place faith in men or institutions but then cite the founders and the declaration of independence.  Those things involved men and institutions.

Is that where the Founders placed their faith?   In the institutions of men?

If you think so, you are just demonstrating your historical ignorance.  Perhaps Google what Ben Franklin told Mrs. Powell in 1789.

Unless you want to live in some combine and spend your time chanting, you have to deal with reality.

Well vote for the lesser evil and knock your socks off there toots.  Put your faith in men and the institutions they have corrupted and perverted.

Enjoy all the fruits thereof.

You keep assuming I'm a Trump worshipper and I cannot seem to disabuse you of that notion.  I was for Ted Cruz and I still am.

I don't care.  I'm discussing the zeitgeist of major mass movements, human nature and man's innate ability to corrupt everything he touches to serve that human nature by redefining morality to fit his desires.

The only reason I defend Trump at all here is that his enemies are worse and I want to give him a fair shake.

I don't care.

I am not allowed to give Trump thumbs up according to his followers, because I was not a supporter from the beginning, and therefore only a 'fair weather friend' that is no different than a 'traitor'.

I was banned from Free Republic for making negative comments about Trump.  Not only was I banned but I was verbally abused in horrible and vulgar ways and JRob never did a dam thing about it.

I left there of my own accord when I saw what it was turning into.  I'm not interested in groupthink or saluting politicians as saviors of the country.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I think it is optimistic to think we will see 2020.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Is that where the Founders placed their faith?   In the institutions of men?

If you think so, you are just demonstrating your historical ignorance.  Perhaps Google what Ben Franklin told Mrs. Powell in 1789.

Well vote for the lesser evil and knock your socks off there toots.  Put your faith in men and the institutions they have corrupted and perverted.

Enjoy all the fruits thereof.

I don't care.  I'm discussing the zeitgeist of major mass movements, human nature and man's innate ability to corrupt everything he touches to serve that human nature by redefining morality to fit his desires.

I don't care.

I am not allowed to give Trump thumbs up according to his followers, because I was not a supporter from the beginning, and therefore only a 'fair weather friend' that is no different than a 'traitor'.

I left there of my own accord when I saw what it was turning into.  I'm not interested in groupthink or saluting politicians as saviors of the country.

You're not a traitor and you may well be a good man, but you are defeatist and bordering on insane.  So good luck with that.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
People should be able to sue for libel.  It should be hard, but not impossible.  Right now, it's kind of impossible because you have to prove malice.

Or bring back duelling.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
You're not a traitor and you may well be a good man, but you are defeatist and bordering on insane.  So good luck with that.

Again MJ, you are a living epitome of Isaiah 30:10.

Those people didn't want to hear 'defeatism' either.  They sought the feel-good temporal and political solutions rooted in disobedience and self rather than harken to warnings of the root cause of their problems.

Nothing new under the sun.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Again MJ, you are a living epitome of Isaiah 30:10.

That or Isanahole 30:10.

Online corbe

Isn't this about the time that I come in and reassure the doubters that @Emjay has a very important role here, in the woman's dept., doing something or the other and we need all the women we can get here, regardless of their political orientation.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   Isn't this about the time that I come in and reassure the doubters that @Emjay has a very important role here, in the woman's dept., doing something or the other and we need all the women we can get here, regardless of their political orientation.

As always, the Knight in Shining Armor coming to my defense ... in that I am a woman, and doing something or the other.

Does anyone want to clue me in on that Bible verse?  I literally don't have a Bible.  I left all my books and I probably had 5 Bibles.  I need to buy one.

But I do remember Ecclesiastics 7:9.  "Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry, for anger resteth in the bosom of fools."

I don't even know what I said to tick those people off.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I will pay you $10 if we don't, and you pay me $1,000 if we do.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

Who do you think you are @Once-Ler .  Zager and Evans?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I will pay you $10 if we don't, and you pay me $1,000 if we do.
You will pay me 10$ if life is obliterated from the planet?  Hmmmm....$10 and selling my children as meat will buy me a future cup of coffee.  You're on TS...

The way I see it?...Either way I win.  If the human race makes it to 2020 $1,000 will be worth $1.27 in today's dollars, and if we both burn in the nuclear fires of Armageddon I can tease you eternally in the after life.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
As always, the Knight in Shining Armor coming to my defense ... in that I am a woman, and doing something or the other.

Does anyone want to clue me in on that Bible verse?  I literally don't have a Bible.  I left all my books and I probably had 5 Bibles.  I need to buy one.

But I do remember Ecclesiastics 7:9.  "Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry, for anger resteth in the bosom of fools."

I don't even know what I said to tick those people off.

Kind of interesting little story ... at least to me.  I was sitting out in the yard while ago ... it was cool and breezy and Smitty and I were observing the bird feeders which were empty but had a few desultory birds still hoping.  I see a passel of people coming down the street going to houses.

I knew who they were, but what the heck.  So these two lovely ladies come up to me and we chat about various topics and Bible quotes come up.  And I remark that I realized yesterday that I don't have a Bible.  They insisted on giving me one despite my protests that I would order one on Amazon. 

They eventually departed and the younger one said I had 'made her day.'  I don't know how.

But I now have a Bible and it seems pretty good.  We compared some verses that I know by heart from King James and they were close enough.

I just thought it was kinda weird that one day after I say I have no Bible, God sends me a Bible, even though it was via Jehovah's Witnesses.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I just thought it was kinda weird that one day after I say I have no Bible, God sends me a Bible, even though it was via Jehovah's Witnesses.

The Lord has a strange and often low sense of humour.  ^-^

It was nice of them, though.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online corbe

For years (before I found this place) I would find myself actually welcoming the Jehovah's as someone that would debate passionately about their beliefs, right or wrong, after I discovered your brilliance, @Emjay I put this back on my door, they don't stop no more.

In no way did I mean any offence to any of our Jewish Members.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:46:48 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   For years (before I found this place) I would find myself actually welcoming the Jehovah's as someone that would debate passionately about their beliefs, right or wrong, after I discovered your brilliance, @Emjay I put this back on my door, they don't stop no more.

In no way did I mean any offence to any of our Jewish Members.

We talked for maybe 20 minutes, but they never mentioned anything about being Witnesses.

It reminded me of my old Auntie.  She loved to talk to people and she had a Boarding House in Oak Cliff way back when.

Some witnesses came and she welcomed them and talked for ages.  They were sure they had a convert and kept coming back.  Eventually, she got tired of them and when she saw them at the door, she hid.  Well, she thought she hid but they saw her hiding.  It did the same trick as your symbol; they never returned.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Kind of interesting little story ... at least to me.  I was sitting out in the yard while ago ... it was cool and breezy and Smitty and I were observing the bird feeders which were empty but had a few desultory birds still hoping.  I see a passel of people coming down the street going to houses.

I knew who they were, but what the heck.  So these two lovely ladies come up to me and we chat about various topics and Bible quotes come up.  And I remark that I realized yesterday that I don't have a Bible.  They insisted on giving me one despite my protests that I would order one on Amazon. 

They eventually departed and the younger one said I had 'made her day.'  I don't know how.

But I now have a Bible and it seems pretty good.  We compared some verses that I know by heart from King James and they were close enough.

You tell a wonderful story @Emjay   Reading it I feel like I'm sitting there next to you.

Have you written professionally?

Offline RoosGirl

Spot on.  This is just raw meat for the HTB's (Hate Trump Briefers).

The story is about stupid people.  Apparently there's a fair distribution of them on both sides of "the aisle".  I rolled my eyes when the stupid democrats started talking about how GWB was going to declare a state of emergency and suspend the elections.  I did a facepalm when the stupid republicans started talking about how BHO was going to declare a state of emergency and suspend the elections.  I guess it's double facepalm time when 52% of republicans are willing to postpone elections.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:22:23 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline roamer_1

@corbe
Jehovah's Witness are welcome here, though their elders are the only ones who come by anymore... done run off their door knockers. It seems I have a reputation there now... They don't know what to do with my theology (Christian Messianic), but reported back and sent out the big guns. So I often entertain them in the afternoon on Shabbat, if I happen to be here, which is likely.

I'll give them credit. They are a well studied people. They mean it.

Offline roamer_1

Um... no. It's a fair translation... Better than the liberal versions. But it is not 'close enough'. Jussayin.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You tell a wonderful story @Emjay   Reading it I feel like I'm sitting there next to you.

Have you written professionally?

Thank you, RIV.

I've written all my life but never made much money at it.  I used to write a Sunday column for the Dallas Morning News and they paid me $100 per column but they had cutbacks and stopped using outside writers.  That was fun.

I've written a lot of plays and two were performed in Dallas and I got paid for that.

I've written 8 or 9 screenplays, some won contests but never seemed to attract Hollywood.

I cannot even tell you how much stuff I've written. Not much money but it kept me out of the pool hall as they say.

Anyway, I don't write anymore but I may have a couple of books up on Amazon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:03:59 pm by Emjay »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Um... no. It's a fair translation... Better than the liberal versions. But it is not 'close enough'. Jussayin.

I had several translations at home... but I don't know which one God wrote.

Online corbe

@roamer_1

...   I'll give them credit. They are a well studied people. They mean it.

That, they are.  I have many Bibles here, of various interpretations, and they always seemed impress with my collection.