Author Topic: 11-State Analysis: How Many Unemployed Have “Given Up”?  (Read 2255 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
11-State Analysis: How Many Unemployed Have “Given Up”?
« on: August 10, 2017, 01:59:04 pm »
https://www.expresspros.com/Newsroom/America-Employed/11-State-Analysis-How-Many-Unemployed-Have-Given-Up.aspx

by Bob Funk
August 9, 2017

Express Employment Professionals today released state-level results from its Harris poll of unemployed Americans, revealing which states have more unemployed workers who have given up on finding a job.

Unemployed survey respondents were asked whether they agree with the statement, "I've completely given up on looking for a job."

Among the 11 states that were oversampled in the survey, Illinois had the highest percentage of respondents who agreed that they had "completely given up." In Illinois, 44 percent agreed, compared to 33 percent nationally. Ohio had the lowest percentage at 25 percent.

(excerpt, results at link)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: 11-State Analysis: How Many Unemployed Have “Given Up”?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:02:18 pm »
The most appalling part of the survey I've found is this part:

Unemployment remains a chronic condition for many, though the average duration of unemployment varies from state to state. The unemployed in Oklahoma report being out of work for an average of 19.8 months, while the unemployed in Florida report 33.1 months. The national average is 23.5 months.
Two years.

What the **** is wrong with corporate America that it takes TWO YEARS to find work? (Never mind most companies simply won't hire anyone who's been out of work more than six months.)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:02 pm »
 Two years.

What the **** is wrong with corporate America that it takes TWO YEARS to find work? (Never mind most companies simply won't hire anyone who's been out of work more than six months.)

I don't believe that someone who wants work can't find something inside of 2 years.   Now they may not find what they want, or they may be forced to move.   

As an employer I have found there are very good reasons NOT to hire someone who'se been 'looking' for two years.   Either there is a personality issue or that person has lost the willingness to work.  Finding a job is hard work.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »
 Two years.

How long did they extend unemployment benefits for?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:34:28 pm »
That's just it. If you are on Unemployment, you have to "look" for a job but you don't have to take a job.

We found that people, who have been out of work for a long time, have a hard time with being on time and being at work. You have to tell them "If you aren't going to show up, you have to tell us. And yes, you have to be here at 8AM. It doesn't matter what time you went to bed". This is particularly true if they have someone supporting them.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »
It's like back when I was dating,  it was easier to get dates if the girl knew I already had a girlfriend.

If you haven't had a girlfriend in awhile,  they are going to wonder, why not?

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:32 pm »
 Two years.

How the *** is that the fault of "corporate America"?

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 03:08:19 pm »
How the *** is that the fault of "corporate America"?
Aren't they the ones who do the hiring?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 05:06:22 pm »
I don't believe that someone who wants work can't find something inside of 2 years.   Now they may not find what they want, or they may be forced to move.   

As an employer I have found there are very good reasons NOT to hire someone who'se been 'looking' for two years.   Either there is a personality issue or that person has lost the willingness to work.  Finding a job is hard work.

I was out of work for over two years before I said F' it and gave up had my surgeries and went on disability. Did I want to? Hell no, did I lose everything but my family? Hell yes! I applied everywhere and anywhere and oh yeah employers would interview me, because they had to, you can't not interview a candidate that test in the top three of your hiring pool, but always when it came right down to it no one would hire a sixty year old to do the job a younger and less skilled but much much cheaper employee could be trained to do in time. And you know what to an extent I understood, as a an employer in the past I always shied away from overqualified older candidates because you figured they were just looking to mark time until something better.
 I will bet the vast number of the "Given Up" are people just like me, people who want to work but can't survive on a minimum wage job, you see the problem is that unless you have a boat load of dependents, are willing or able to live in section 8 housing you can't live on what aid you receive from the state, and make one dollar too much and that is gone. So if someone is close to retirement and they aren't marketable according to job pool, even the guy at unemployment admitted that they had a huge problem with employers not hiring middle aged and older, you just bail on the whole stink.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »

What would you suggest they do?  Force them to hire the unemployed?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 05:29:43 pm »

When I was a small boy, my folks moved around 4 Western states, for a better situation; e.g. better career opportunities, etc.

Finally settling back in SoCal several years later, now with 3 young boys, my father defended that choice until he died:

--Jobs (booming residential housing market, most of the time; and jobs for those home buyers)
--Weather
--Family (in this case, not his but his wife's)

So my father made the sacrifice of not being close to his own family. 

With some exceptions, the US population has migrated to the West and the South, for decades.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 05:33:32 pm »
I really wonder about the Texas numbers.  There are "help wanted" signs everywhere you look.  Maybe you have to look?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »

I was out of work for over two years before I said F' it and gave up had my surgeries and went on disability. Did I want to? Hell no, did I lose everything but my family? Hell yes! I applied everywhere and anywhere and oh yeah employers would interview me, because they had to, you can't not interview a candidate that test in the top three of your hiring pool, but always when it came right down to it no one would hire a sixty year old to do the job a younger and less skilled but much much cheaper employee could be trained to do in time. And you know what to an extent I understood, as a an employer in the past I always shied away from overqualified older candidates because you figured they were just looking to mark time until something better.
 I will bet the vast number of the "Given Up" are people just like me, people who want to work but can't survive on a minimum wage job, you see the problem is that unless you have a boat load of dependents, are willing or able to live in section 8 housing you can't live on what aid you receive from the state, and make one dollar too much and that is gone. So if someone is close to retirement and they aren't marketable according to job pool, even the guy at unemployment admitted that they had a huge problem with employers not hiring middle aged and older, you just bail on the whole stink.

@GtHawk
The key word you said there was cheaper.   Many older folks just are not willing to take a pay cut.  I understand why but it also prevents them from getting "a job".   I've also found that older people are much less flexible than younger people.    The older folks know what the like and just aren't willing to do anything else.

I've had several 60+ folks working for me who were exceptions and were great.   I've also interviewed a boatload who were set in their ways and expected me to change the company to accommodate them.   I'm not saying that was the case for you just that its a real problem.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 05:44:37 pm »
@GtHawk
The key word you said there was cheaper.   Many older folks just are not willing to take a pay cut.  I understand why but it also prevents them from getting "a job".   I've also found that older people are much less flexible than younger people.    The older folks know what the like and just aren't willing to do anything else.

I've had several 60+ folks working for me who were exceptions and were great.   I've also interviewed a boatload who were set in their ways and expected me to change the company to accommodate them.   I'm not saying that was the case for you just that its a real problem.

Yep. I think quite a few of them would rather just live off disability.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:44:50 pm »
The reality is, and it's something I told my kids, is to not expect to work for somebody else once you reach the age of 40.  Start preparing to work for yourself as soon as you get out of college.

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 05:46:27 pm »
The reality is, and it's something I told my kids, is to not expect to work for somebody else once you reach the age of 40.  Start preparing to work for yourself as soon as you get out of college.

I'm preparing for that. I've got a good job right now, and a very lucrative field (IT in the pharmaceutical field) but I know how quickly that could change.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 05:50:23 pm »
@GtHawk

It's not just a pay cut, I would have been willing to take a job of lesser pay that I could live on, fact is all but one job which was offered to me by Walmart for minimum was for more than I had previously made. My friend and former supervisor applied for a plumbers job at our sewage treatment plant and it was for less money, he was more than qualified, their reason for not hiring him was that he was overqualified, I'm sure his being 61 had not a damn thing to do with it.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »
I really wonder about the Texas numbers.  There are "help wanted" signs everywhere you look.  Maybe you have to look?

Article on zerhedge yesterday said job openings are way up (record high I think), but hiring is down.   [That's not TX specific].
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 05:53:28 pm »
It's not just a pay cut, I would have been willing to take a job of lesser pay that I could live on, fact is all but one job which was offered to me by Walmart for minimum was for more than I had previously made. My friend and former supervisor applied for a plumbers job at our sewage treatment plant and it was for less money, he was more than qualified, their reason for not hiring him was that he was overqualified, I'm sure his being 61 had not a damn thing to do with it.

There is definitely discrimination against older people.    Overqualified means they don't think you'll be happy there and will move on as soon as you find something better.    I do the same thing, why invest in someone who isnt gonna stay.  It sucks but its the reality.   

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 05:54:38 pm »
There is definitely discrimination against older people.    Overqualified means they don't think you'll be happy there and will move on as soon as you find something better.    I do the same thing, why invest in someone who isnt gonna stay.  It sucks but its the reality.

Yep. A bored worker either won't stay or he'll just barely be motivated.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »
Yep. I think quite a few of them would rather just live off disability.
No doubt there are a few that scam the system to live off disability, there is a whole industry of shyster lawyers built around that, but I think most, myself included would rather have continued working. Disability is not really a wonderful thing when your monthly payment is base on ten years or so lower earnings, the cost of living sure as hell didn't freeze at that point.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »
The anecdotal evidence in SoCal (at least the OC) is employers are hiring, hiring.

I cannot get construction trades or handymen types, since they are all booked up.

My wife is getting interviews like crazy; a big surprise to her. And signs everywhere. 

I'm not sure the traditional measurements are still valid. Uber/Lyft, independent contractors, part-timers, retirees, self-employed and looking, etc. cloud the stats.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
No argument, but tell what's the solution then? If a good number of these unemployed that have given up are not hired by employers because of the real risk a percentage of them will not stay long, which causes a burden to the employer, where do they find employment? Do they get retrained in another skill and then try to compete in another segment of the job market where some other employer will not want to hire them because they are too unskilled as well as too expensive, read old?

I'm curious, I have been on both sides of this problem and I don't see a good answer. No one ever believes that they will become physically unable to work or be considered to much of risk to the bottom line to be considered for employment.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:02 pm »
I'm preparing for that. I've got a good job right now, and a very lucrative field (IT in the pharmaceutical field) but I know how quickly that could change.

One thing we did was to purchase rental properties, so we could have a source of income down the road.

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 12:24:04 am »

Yeah, they're just sitting around there yucking it up, with empty spots in factories and stores, 'cause they're a bunch of a-holes who want to force people to be unemployed for two years. 

Get real.