Author Topic: North Korea Plans To Fire Multiple Missiles Into Waters Around Guam  (Read 3612 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: North Korea Plans To Fire Multiple Missiles Into Waters Around Guam
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 05:33:20 am »
Trump, Christians being saved in the Middle East and ISIS being turned back, having to try to fix a problem his 3 predecessors let fester. Oh, but the vitriol that comes out.
Rolling Blunder
From the archives: How the Bush administration let North Korea get nukes.

n Oct. 4, 2002, officials from the U.S. State Department flew to Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea, and confronted Kim Jong-il’s foreign ministry with evidence that Kim had acquired centrifuges for processing highly enriched uranium, which could be used for building nuclear weapons. To the Americans’ surprise, the North Koreans conceded. It was an unsettling revelation, coming just as the Bush administration was gearing up for a confrontation with Iraq. This new threat wasn’t imminent; processing uranium is a tedious task; Kim Jong-il was almost certainly years away from grinding enough of the stuff to make an atomic bomb. But the North Koreans had another route to nuclear weapons—a stash of radioactive fuel rods, taken a decade earlier from its nuclear power plant in Yongbyon. These rods could be processed into plutonium—and, from that, into A-bombs—not in years but in months. Thanks to an agreement brokered by the Clinton administration, the rods were locked in a storage facility under the monitoring of international weapons-inspectors. Common sense dictated that—whatever it did about the centrifuges—the Bush administration should do everything possible to keep the fuel rods locked up.

Unfortunately, common sense was in short supply. After a few shrill diplomatic exchanges over the uranium, Pyongyang upped the ante. The North Koreans expelled the international inspectors, broke the locks on the fuel rods, loaded them onto a truck, and drove them to a nearby reprocessing facility, to be converted into bomb-grade plutonium. The White House stood by and did nothing. Why did George W. Bush—his foreign policy avowedly devoted to stopping “rogue regimes” from acquiring weapons of mass destruction—allow one of the world’s most dangerous regimes to acquire the makings of the deadliest WMDs? Given the current mayhem and bloodshed in Iraq, it’s hard to imagine a decision more ill-conceived than invading that country unilaterally without a plan for the “post-war” era. But the Bush administration’s inept diplomacy toward North Korea might well have graver consequences. President Bush made the case for war in Iraq on the premise that Saddam Hussein might soon have nuclear weapons—which turned out not to be true. Kim Jong-il may have nuclear weapons now; he certainly has enough plutonium to build some, and the reactors to breed more.

Continued: http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/may-2004/rolling-blunder-2/

Just because it's written doesn't mean it is true; but it is worth researching all the same.

Nutjobs turn back ISIS, help Christians out from being slaughtered. No we aren't talking about the 2 past presidents.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:39:05 am by TomSea »

HonestJohn

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 11:08:14 am »
Exactly.  If this turns into a hot war, Trump won't be responsible for that.  He'll be responsible for how he conducts any such war, but he is blameless for the conditions that have brought us to the current state of affairs.

This story would not exist had Trump not channeled Kim Jong-Il and stated he'd turn North Korea into a 'sea of fire' strike North Korea with 'fire and fury to which the world has never seen before'.

Instead, the UN sanctions would have bit and North Korea would have tested another missile in 6-8 weeks.

Now we are looking at potential war.

HonestJohn

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 11:14:19 am »
Very different times, very different enemies than 1938. Probably closer to WWI analogy and blundering into war.

Yes, there is a lot of fault to be found in trump's handling of this. And I hesitate to even use the word handling because our nutcase just spouts out whatever enters his mind at the moment and lets his cultists clean up afterwards.  Sooner or later that won't work.

I'd agree with this.

Every country involved doesn't want to do the actions they are doing... but they continue to do them, expecting the other to blink and come to their senses.  North Korea plays it's game, thinking that it'll get the US to the negotiating table.  And the US is playing the same game, thinking it'll get the North Koreans to the table.

But each of them are driving the other to issue the statements they are making.

Offline kidd

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 01:17:47 pm »
I think people are wildly overestimating our ABM capability.  Even in highly controlled recent tests, there hasn't been a great success rate.

And if we attempt and miss, that's not good.
etc.

I'm not alone in my thinking:
Japan Vows Military Action if North Korea Attacks Guam
http://tribunist.com/news/japan-vows-military-action-if-north-korea-attacks-guam/
On Thursday, Itsunori Onodera, the new defense minister of the island nation of Japan, stated his country would act by shooting down any missiles fired by the North Koreans toward Guam. Onodera asserted his nation’s right to use the Aegis destroyer missile defense system during such a scenario as a missile launch would also pose a threat to his country

Offline jpsb

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 01:32:17 pm »
Appeasement worked very well in 1938, didn't it.

I've read many remarks like the above, Kim firing missiles towards Japan and threatening all of his neighbors and even some far off countries like Israel, more nearby, Australia even. Oh, but let's find fault with Trump and the McMullin (YES) supporter name calls at Trump.

It's a wonder the appeasers didn't get their way and have us living under the 3rd Reich.

the proper response would be to impose and immediate tariff on Chinese imports to the USA. NK is Chinas' responsibility. Start making China pay a price for not curbing their dog.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 01:33:45 pm »
Okay, we got it. Let little Kim fire off missiles at Japan, threaten all of their neighbors but Trump is the one starting a war. Got it.

If you are a hard core NeverTrumper then everything wrong with the world is Trumps' fault.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 01:38:45 pm »
the proper response would be to impose and immediate tariff on Chinese imports to the USA. NK is Chinas' responsibility. Start making China pay a price for not curbing their dog.

Truth be known, North Korea is Russia's responsibility.  They're the ones who installed Kim Il Sung, provided weapons, and gave him the green light to invade the South.  They even directly intervened with their pilots and MiG-15s.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 01:41:26 pm »
Truth be known, North Korea is Russia's responsibility.  They're the ones who installed Kim Il Sung, provided weapons, and gave him the green light to invade the South.  They even directly intervened with their pilots and MiG-15s.

Certainly Russia is a ally of NK. But China is the main backer.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 01:50:07 pm »
Wow. Five o'clock Charlie must be getting up there in years.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 01:55:00 pm »
This story would not exist had Trump not channeled Kim Jong-Il and stated he'd turn North Korea into a 'sea of fire' strike North Korea with 'fire and fury to which the world has never seen before'.

Instead, the UN sanctions would have bit and North Korea would have tested another missile in 6-8 weeks.

Now we are looking at potential war.

Just a gentle reminder to all of you young whippersnappers out there too young to remember!  The DPRK would not even exist but for the malfeasance of the United States Department of State under DEMOCRAT president Harry S. Truman!  No Mao in China no DPRK today!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:48 pm »
Just a gentle reminder to all of you young whippersnappers out there too young to remember!  The DPRK would not even exist but for the malfeasance of the United States Department of State under DEMOCRAT president Harry S. Truman!  No Mao in China no DPRK today!

Yup Truman invented the US policy of limited warfare. A horrible policy that has cost the USA tens of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. Gen MacArthur was right when he said "There is no substitute for victory".

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 02:07:05 pm »
Yup Truman invented the US policy of limited warfare. A horrible policy that has cost the USA tens of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. Gen MacArthur was right when he said "There is no substitute for victory".

Indeed he was and Truman should have listened to him!  However the point of my post was that, at least in my mind, WE have a duty to clean up messes of our on making to the extent we can!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 01:20:50 am »
cuky wrote:
"I do not see the wisdom in the remarks made by trump, once again presented in a manner one would expect of a child."

Nice op-ed by Wesley Pruden in today's Washington Times:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,275816.msg1415789.html#msg1415789

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 01:32:27 am »
Indeed he was and Truman should have listened to him!

Unfortunately for MacArthur, he lost a lot of credibility with the CiC at the Wake Island meeting on October 15, 1950.  He told Truman the Chinese would not intervene. Ten days later, they were engaging UN forces.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.