Author Topic: Millions of gallons of Mexican waste threaten US Border Patrol agents  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Millions of gallons of Mexican waste threaten US Border Patrol agents
Fox News, Aug 8, 2017, Malia Zimmerman 

The Tijuana River, polluted with raw sewage, debris, and toxic waste and chemicals, flows into the ocean.

Millions of gallons of toxic chemicals and raw sewage are being dumped by Mexico into the Tijuana River, surrounding valleys and U.S. beaches at the U.S.-Mexico border, sickening border patrol agents, but those on the front lines say the U.S. has done little to force Mexico to literally clean up its act.

Some 59 Border Patrol agents have reported getting sick in the last three months after exposure to pollutants while at work along the border. One agent suffered severe chemical burns on his feet after toxic chemicals burned through his boots, according to documentation provided by the U.S. Border Patrol Local 1613 Union.

That union is threatening legal action that could result in all 300 people stationed at the Imperial Beach Border Patrol station to abandon their posts along the vast border between San Diego and Mexico. Border Patrol union leaders blame U.S. government agencies, Congress and the International Boundary and Water Commission for not aggressively addressing the continuing environmental pollution and health hazards. The organization is an independent U.S. commission directed by the State Department that oversees management of the river.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/08/millions-gallons-mexican-waste-threaten-us-border-patrol-agents.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Millions of gallons of Mexican waste threaten US Border Patrol agents
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:32:13 pm »
Just another act of love from our Southern neighbors.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:38:26 pm »
So? Meh-Hee-Co has always been a Turd-World Sewer.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:58 pm »
That's what the EPA is for, and this is an example of what you get without the EPA.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:34:53 pm »
That's what the EPA is for, and this is an example of what you get without the EPA.

We have the EPA and we still get it.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 05:53:28 pm »

This is an example of what you get with the EPA...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:19:06 pm »

You're kidding, right?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:48 pm »

Good lord you are out to lunch this week,  WTF? 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:58 pm »

It's my hope that the EPA will be redirecting its efforts to focus more on such core-mission items.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »
This is an example of what you get with the EPA...

And guess what...

...it was private industry that left the contamination in place that would have eventually broken out.  EPA mishandled it, yes, but there would have been no problem if not for private industry mishandling things.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:58 pm »
It's my hope that the EPA will be redirecting its efforts to focus more on such core-mission items.

This a fight with Mexico.  The EPA would never get involved in it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:07 pm »
And guess what...

...it was private industry that left the contamination in place that would have eventually broken out.  EPA mishandled it, yes, but there would have been no problem if not for private industry mishandling things.

Mishandled?  Only a Gov funded department of bureaucrats run by dipsticks could make mishandeling an artform.
End the EPA. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:23:45 pm »
And guess what...

In which case the company would have been sued out of existence and most likely some senior management would have been hauled off to jail.   All which could have been done without the need for yet another government agency.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 08:26:56 pm »
And guess what...

Industry didn't "mishandle things".  Industry had the mine, that is true.   Industry was following EPA directions to seal the mine.   While some of the water was a result of the mining the majority was rainwater and groundwater that collected in the mine.  The industry had a plan to properly handle the water but the EPA wouldn't let them.  The EPA paid a consultant who told them if they did what they wanted to do it would cause the uncontrolled release of water laden with heavy metals.

The EPA ignored their consultant and ordered a contractor to do what they knew would pollute the river.   They were told it would happen and it did.

Don't try to point the finger at anyone but the EPA.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 08:28:31 pm »
This a fight with Mexico.  The EPA would never get involved in it.

@Cyber Liberty
If the EPA wanted to they would get involved.   Its a matter of priorities.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:13 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
If the EPA wanted to they would get involved.   Its a matter of priorities.

I'm not gonna disagree with that, in fact I agree.  Priorities.  EPA doesn't want to get involved in a fight with Mexico.  Mexico would fight back, and they'd much rather spend their days running family farmers off their land, and filing lawsuits against themselves to justify it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 08:35:04 pm »
I'm not gonna disagree with that, in fact I agree.  Priorities.  EPA doesn't want to get involved in a fight with Mexico.  Mexico would fight back, and they'd much rather spend their days running family farmers off their land, and filing lawsuits against themselves to justify it.

Totally agree, its time to fire 90% of the people and budget in the EPA.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »
Mishandled?  Only a Gov funded department of bureaucrats run by dipsticks could make mishandeling an artform.
End the EPA.

Yes, it's a widely known fact that there was never any environmental disaster before the EPA.  In fact, rivers catching on fire are a feature, not a bug.   
+++++++++

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:27 pm »
Yes, it's a widely known fact that there was never any environmental disaster before the EPA.  In fact, rivers catching on fire are a feature, not a bug.

The only time a man made disaster can be made worse is when you involve the EPA.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 09:02:38 pm »
Industry didn't "mishandle things".  Industry had the mine, that is true.

Yes, because it was discharging half a million gallons of contaminated water a day, not counting groundwater contamination.   

Industry was following EPA directions to seal the mine.

Yes, because they hadn't voluntarily stopped their polluting. They were being forced by ... EPA ... to stop it.  Left to their own devices, they'd have continued to let all that contamination flow freely.

While some of the water was a result of the mining the majority was rainwater and groundwater that collected in the mine.

Whoa...SO unpredictable!    It's amazing, but never before in the history of the world has groundwater and rainwater been present at a site.  Never has a sulfide mine had to deal with these issues.  This just magically appeared here, brought in by some dastardly EPA criminal, no doubt.

The industry had a plan to properly handle the water but the EPA wouldn't let them.

Oh, a plan.

They hadn't done it on their own, but then they came up with "a plan".

The EPA paid a consultant who told them if they did what they wanted to do it would cause the uncontrolled release of water laden with heavy metals.

Agreed, it was a dumb plan.  They should have gotten a head measurement in advance.  But like the anti-cop activists who get upset when a fleeing felon is killed, there would have been no problem if the "solid citizens" hadn't acted in a manner that required the authorities being brought in! 

The EPA ignored their consultant and ordered a contractor to do what they knew would pollute the river.   They were told it would happen and it did.

No, they underestimated the amount of contamination that had backed up in the mine.  Yes, private industry had contaminated the groundwater even more than known.

Don't try to point the finger at anyone but the EPA.

Oh, yeah.  EPA just went and created a contaminated site and then released it.   :silly:

Or just maybe, private industry created a contaminated site, and EPA goofed in their attempt to rectify what private industry had messed up.

If private industry had been responsible, they would have set up treatment and mitigation operations.

By the way, it was the state Department of Natural Resources Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety that had requested EPA come in.

I have a lot of problems with the EPA, and I'm not saying that there should be no liability for a cop who goofs in attempting to enforce the law.  But blaming the cop for the crime is ridiculous.
+++++++++

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 09:07:56 pm »
I think we just figured out who somebody's favorite gummint bureaucracy is....
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:10:54 pm »

"Everything was fine until the grid was shut down by dickless here."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:15:12 pm by dfwgator »

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 09:13:21 pm »

LOL...   :beer:
Wait till you peel back a few layers of the old onion.  He will not disappoint! :smokin:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:14 pm »
The EPA, under Obama or Trump,  has no authority over Mexico, which is not a first world country.

The conditions leading up, took place during Obama's administration, btw.

Initial spill Feb. 2, 2017

http://www.10news.com/news/sewage-spill-in-tijuana-mexico-flows-north-into-san-diego-county
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln