Author Topic: Study Finds Women’s Brains Are Far More Active Than Men’s  (Read 2110 times)

rangerrebew

Study Finds Women’s Brains Are Far More Active Than Men’s

August 8, 2017

by Robby Berman

In the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, the largest-ever study of brain images has been published, authored by Amen Clinics. The study encompasses 46,034 Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT) brain images sourced from nine clinics. Its authors came to a conclusion that would surprise few women: Women’s brains are more active than men’s.

ha. ha.

SPECT imaging tracks activity in the brain by registering blood perfusion in specific areas as subjects perform various tasks, or are at rest. The images came from 119 healthy volunteers as well as 26,683 patients suffering from a range of psychiatric issues including bipolar disorder,

http://bigthink.com/robby-berman/study-finds-womens-brains-are-far-more-active-than-mens

rangerrebew

Re: Study Finds Women’s Brains Are Far More Active Than Men’s
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:22:44 am »
This raises rather   "significant" *****rollingeyes***** questions.  If, when men become women, do their brains get more active?  Or, when women become men, do their brains get less active? :rolling:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:17:20 pm »
Amen founder and lead author of the study psychiatrist Daniel G. Amen told the Journal, “This is a very important study to help understand gender-based brain differences. The quantifiable differences we identified between men and women are important for understanding gender-based risk for brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.

*GASP*!!  Is the good doctor suggesting that there are physiological differences in the brain that are determined by one's biological gender?? 

How very politically incorrect of him.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:24:42 pm »
Differences in Brain Activity May Determine How Smart You Are https://www.livescience.com/55811-different-brain-activity-intelligence.html

The researchers focused on the networks of neurons that were activated when people were at rest and when they were performing the different cognitive tasks. They found that the participants whose brain activity during the resting state was similar to their brain activity while doing the task performed the tasks better.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:42:08 pm »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »
I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut about this one.  :whistle:

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:02:46 pm »
That's because they are always trying to think up new ways to make our lives more miserable.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:05:41 pm »
*GASP*!!  Is the good doctor suggesting that there are physiological differences in the brain that are determined by one's biological gender?? 

Well, there are physiological differences and there are physiological differences. This happens to be the acceptable kind.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:06:18 pm by skeeter »

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:19:42 pm »

BURN HIM!!!!!
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:23:12 pm »
That's because they are always trying to think up new ways to make our lives more miserable.

@Wingnut  That's not really complex or difficult thinking for us.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »
I can't believe they sunk money into studying this.  That truth is plainly obvious for anyone with eyes and ears.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 02:28:00 pm »
@Wingnut  That's not really complex or difficult thinking for us.

Millions of years of evolution I guess.  Slow studies that women are.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:30:44 pm »
Millions of years of evolution I guess.  Slow studies that women are.

LOL.  Yes, it's pretty much programmed in.  You'd think that men would have developed some natural coping mechanism in all that time,  but I guess as slow as we are, y'all are even slower.  Until that guy that invented beer, but that's more like artificial intelligence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 01:31:54 am »
Headline:
"Study Finds Women’s Brains Are Far More Active Than Men’s"

What about their mouths?   (running and hiding)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 01:36:06 am »

The study never met my x.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 01:43:59 am »

The study never met my x.

Well, I hate to bad-mouth my own gender, but the study didn't say the women had better outcomes from that extra activity.  Maybe they had to think harder to accomplish the same thing the guys did?

Personally, I think it was probably more that they were also thinking about where their kids were and what they were doing, what they were fixing for dinner that night and what time they had to start preparing each dish for the meal to be ready at the correct time, whether they needed to stop at the grocery store on the way home and what was on their grocery list, how many loads of laundry they had to do that night, what they were going to wear to work tomorrow, etc, etc, etc, in addition to whatever they were supposedly focused on. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 02:06:29 am »

Exactly!  One picture explains it all.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 02:07:47 am »
Well, I hate to bad-mouth my own gender, but the study didn't say the women had better outcomes from that extra activity.  Maybe they had to think harder to accomplish the same thing the guys did?

Personally, I think it was probably more that they were also thinking about where their kids were and what they were doing, what they were fixing for dinner that night and what time they had to start preparing each dish for the meal to be ready at the correct time, whether they needed to stop at the grocery store on the way home and what was on their grocery list, how many loads of laundry they had to do that night, what they were going to wear to work tomorrow, etc, etc, etc, in addition to whatever they were supposedly focused on.

You hit on exactly what I was thinking with my first post.  We never stop thinking about all those things.  Men definitely seem to be better at turning it off.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 02:12:47 am »
You hit on exactly what I was thinking with my first post.  We never stop thinking about all those things.  Men definitely seem to be better at turning it off.

Someone should write a book about that.   ^-^

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 02:15:56 am »
Exactly!  One picture explains it all.

What a man is always thinking......"I want a beer, and I want to see sumpthin' naked." - Jeff Foxworthy

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 02:21:24 am »
Someone should write a book about that.   ^-^

It would be nice to be a waffle every now and then.  But then you have to think about getting the butter, and syrup, and some people like strawberries instead of syrup, but some people are allergic to strawberries, so maybe some whipped cream instead? Or, I know, honey!  Ohhh, what about blueberries?  Maybe I could experiment and make a chocolate waffle...   :laugh:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 02:25:50 am »
It would be nice to be a waffle every now and then.  But then you have to think about getting the butter, and syrup, and some people like strawberries instead of syrup, but some people are allergic to strawberries, so maybe some whipped cream instead? Or, I know, honey!  Ohhh, what about blueberries?  Maybe I could experiment and make a chocolate waffle...   :laugh:

LOL -- exactly!
 888high58888

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 02:28:49 am »
What a man is always thinking......"I want a beer, and I want to see sumpthin' naked." - Jeff Foxworthy

God only gave man enough blood to supply one head at a time.  Eve figured that out 5 seconds after her arrival and that was that!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:46:31 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 02:29:11 am »
Well, somebody's gotta do the thinking in the relationship!

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 02:39:52 am »
Well, somebody's gotta do the thinking in the relationship!

The problem is, God gave man two heads. A big one and a little one, but only enough blood to run one at a time.