Author Topic: Are Fast Food Wage Increases and Schedule Security Laws Worth the Penalty to Restaurant Owners?  (Read 1088 times)

rangerrebew

Are Fast Food Wage Increases and Schedule Security Laws Worth the Penalty to Restaurant Owners?

July 19, 2017

New York recently became the third and largest city in the United States to enact legislation that helps ensure schedule security for fast-food workers in the area. One of the key components of the new law is that fast-food restaurants must schedule their workers at least two weeks in advance or pay extra for shift changes. San Francisco and Seattle have already passed similar laws.

The changes these cities have made are well-intended. They are passing laws to give fast-food workers more predictable schedules and paychecks, and I think that’s great. From my perspective as a franchise coach, the challenge we have is not so much the “well-intended” part, but the unintended consequences of these laws.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/297334

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Are Fast Food Wage Increases and Schedule Security Laws Worth the Penalty to Restaurant Owners?

July 19, 2017

New York recently became the third and largest city in the United States to enact legislation that helps ensure schedule security for fast-food workers in the area. One of the key components of the new law is that fast-food restaurants must schedule their workers at least two weeks in advance or pay extra for shift changes. San Francisco and Seattle have already passed similar laws.

The changes these cities have made are well-intended. They are passing laws to give fast-food workers more predictable schedules and paychecks, and I think that’s great. From my perspective as a franchise coach, the challenge we have is not so much the “well-intended” part, but the unintended consequences of these laws.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/297334
Insanity, I spent decades scheduling crew and managers for fast food and it was hard enough to put up a schedule one week in advance without changes being forced, accidents, illness, people quitting, changes in weather all required changes in the schedule. But the most uncontrollable variable in the schedule were the employees themselves.

Oceander

Every step closer to fully automated ordering at a fast food restaurant is fine with me.  Can't wait. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Every step closer to fully automated ordering at a fast food restaurant is fine with me.  Can't wait.
Considering what has become acceptable at most fast food operations the automation would result in increased accuracy and decreased attitude. I swear the few times I go Back to McD's with my grandson I get so angry with the service and most everything else I receive, I would have been at the least demoted and most probably fired if I ran my operation the same way. The saddest thing is almost all of the fast food outlets are run the same way, there are exceptions the chains that adhere to the founders principles like In-N-Out in California and I;m sure that there are others across America.

Oceander

Considering what has become acceptable at most fast food operations the automation would result in increased accuracy and decreased attitude. I swear the few times I go Back to McD's with my grandson I get so angry with the service and most everything else I receive, I would have been at the least demoted and most probably fired if I ran my operation the same way. The saddest thing is almost all of the fast food outlets are run the same way, there are exceptions the chains that adhere to the founders principles like In-N-Out in California and I;m sure that there are others across America.

Exactly.  It gets so bad that sometimes I have to check that everything is correct before I leave the restaurant.