Author Topic: Darren Daulton, RIP: Not so crazy after all those years  (Read 1611 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Darren Daulton, RIP: Not so crazy after all those years
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:39:30 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/08/07/darren-daulton-rip-not-so-crazy-after-all-those-years/

When reviewing William C. Kashatus’s Macho Row: The 1993 Phillies and Baseball’s Unwritten Code, Darren
Daulton figured large in both the book and the review. And, indeed, Kashatus himself respected Daulton just
enough to make the catcher for those Philthy Phillies—who died Sunday at 55, after a four-year battle with
glioblastoma, an insidious brain cancer—the book’s lead chapter.

Daulton was one of the six 1993 Phillies to whom the “Macho Row” sobriquet was applied, as much about
their attitudes as their common location in the Phillies’ clubhouse. He was also the only member of that
swaggering but ill-fated pennant winner to be a Phillies lifer to that point, and he was clearly one of the
team leaders if not the main man.

Daulton was both physically and mentally tough, a “man’s man.” His
chiseled physique and movie-star good looks made him the envy of
male fans and an object of desire for females. When he spoke, teammates,
coaches, and the manager listened. Most of the time, however, he chose
to do his talking behind the plate or up at bat.

He was the only one of the six Macho Rowers to have the full if “begrudging” (Kashatus’s word) respect of
the writers covering those Phillies, and in turn he became the Row’s shield from them. Whenever Daulton
faced the press at his locker, whether the Phillies won or lost, the other five ducked into the showers or
the trainers’ room.

Accountability in hand with compassion, courage, and sympathy were what Daulton learned from his mother,
Kashatus revealed, adding that Daulton’s father taught him how to apply those to baseball.

It may have been why Daulton could confront Phillies president Bill Giles over signing free agent catcher/bopper
Lance Parrish, in 1987, in a collusion-breaking win-now bid—while Daulton was clearly the Phillies’ catcher of
the future, even if a knee injury nearly killed his career in its infancy—and earn Giles’s respect.

As he awaited his time, the young Daulton learned conditioning and (don’t laugh) fun from fading Steve Carlton
(Daulton told Kashatus of a food fight Carlton picked for a laugh at a restaurant one night) and field work from
Mike Schmidt. In 1989 Daulton’s time arrived, in the middle of a Phillies rebuild that included Schmidt retiring
in May when his deteriorating performance became fully intolerable.

He’d become a three-time All-Star in Philadelphia; he had a reputation as a genuine and non-overbearing clubhouse
leader and as a generous soul away from the ballpark, whether blowing young or return players to lavish dinners
or involving himself in charities and work on behalf of the homeless.

The catcher who looked six parts film idol and half a dozen parts Mr. America even had a dry wit in the most
broiling on-field heat. As Curt Schilling laboured for that Game Five shutout against the Blue Jays in the 1993
Series, he felt fatigued by the seventh. “Darren Daulton came out to the mound,” Schilling told Thomas Boswell,
“and said, ‘We may have to use some mirrors’.”

Daulton became a World Series winner at last after he was dealt to the Marlins for their first Series run in 1997.
Marlins manager Jim Leyland credited him with creating “a winning chemistry” enabling them to go the distance.
After that triumph, his knees no longer able to take even a fraction of the punishment he continued incurring,
Daulton retired.

After the Phillies’s ‘ 93 Series ended with Joe Carter’s three-run homer off Mitch Williams in Game Six, which
came after the Wild Thing shook off Daulton’s sign for a breaking ball, Daulton faced two quiet disasters.

The watchword of the Macho Row was loyalty, but Dykstra and non-Rower Curt Schilling broke it when they ripped
Williams—a Rower who never shrank from his responsibility for the fateful pitch (I wanted to throw it up and away
. . . the slide step altered my delivery and I ended up rushing the pitch
, Williams said post mortem)—over the
World Series loss.

Daulton probably cringed while staying out of that feud, which ended when Williams was traded over the winter.
But he also faced the end of his first marriage. “I had no idea that moving every six months would be as stressful
as it was,” the first and former Mrs. Daulton told a radio audience, before adding a little too tellingly, “and I had
no idea that every girl would want my husband.”

This normally laid-back Kansan—who once broke out of his type to warn Williams against complaining about not
being brought in to close a game by threatening to rip his arm off—probably had no idea that life without baseball
would be as stressful as it became for him despite his conversion to Christianity after his playing career ended.

One moment Daulton seemed embarrassed by his Macho Row days; the next, he seemed bent on reliving them
in certain sad ways. He was jailed twice for drunk driving and arrested once for domestic violence following an
argument with his second wife. A year later, Daulton was sent to jail for two years and rehab for two and a half
months, after he disobeyed a condition of his second divorce.

But two years later, he met his third wife, a former golfer, though they wouldn’t marry until 2013, when he received
his original cancer diagnosis.

Some have speculated that alcohol, plus an alleged dabbling in actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances
in his playing days (nothing ever proven on him), as his notorious teammate Lenny Dykstra had done, plus the
assortment of painkillers he took fighting one after another knee injury, had a mental impact upon Daulton as
well.

He became a sad laughingstock in 2008 when he began making public remarks about quantum physics, metaphysics,
the occult, and the fifth dimension that sounded past merely supernatural to the nether regions of Cloud Cuckoo
Land. But he also took on a semblance of normalcy when he became a Phillies pre- and post-game analyst for Comcast
Sports Network and on ESPN’s Philadelphia satellite station.

Daulton became almost as popular with listeners and viewers as he was when he played for the Phillies. Then came
the glioblastoma diagnosis, the pronouncement that he was cancer free in early 2015, and the over-aggressive
return of the malignancy. Before it killed him, it brought Daulton back to the humility and accountability he struggled
to regain after his playing days.

“Anything I did in the past,” he said after he was diagnosed, “is my fault. Not my ex-wives’ fault, not any of my kids’
faults, not baseball, not the media—me, my fault—I did the damage.”

Daulton actually began that process a few years earlier, when he told an interviewer, “I feel if I told you all the drugs
I’ve ever taken that would reflect on someone else. I can assure you, there’s probably no one in any sport that has
taken more drugs that I have. And I think people still respect me. It’s not what goes in, it’s what comes out.” It was
as close as he could bring himself to a public admission that the past medications might have done something to
his programming for long enough.

Daulton also fostered loyalty among the Row and other teammates, whether or not they necessarily deserved it. When
Dykstra was imprisoned for bankruptcy fraud in 2012, Daulton wrote the judge who sentenced him:

I believe I know what he is capable of doing when times are good, as
well as when they are difficult. Obviously, there are two extremes that
the dude has lived through. We all experience the extremes, some more
than others.

Your honor, tonight I pray that God provides you the wisdom to judge my
friend and provide him the opportunity to make amends with himself
and the people that love him.

Upon the news of Daulton’s death, Dykstra posted an emotional video of himself thanking his fallen teammate, saying
the letter was something he’d never forget because it gave him hope.

“Sometimes I look back at my life,” Daulton told Philadelphia magazine seven years ago, “and I see all the baseball
I played, the All-Star games, the World Series, how I helped some guys in the clubhouse, how great my kids are,
some of the nice things I’ve done for people along the way, and I think maybe I’m doing okay, maybe things aren’t
so bad, just maybe I’m not so crazy after all.”

“We were all nuts,” John Kruk has said of the Philthy Phillies. One of them just did it a little more quietly than others.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Cyber Liberty
@dfwgator
@Jazzhead
@Wingnut
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Bigun
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:40:09 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Darren Daulton, RIP: Not so crazy after all those years
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:46:18 pm »
I think if you ask most Phillies phans,  that 1993 club is still the most beloved,  even more so than the 2008 World Champions,  authors of that "Perfect Season".   No one predicted the '93 Phils would be any more than long shots, yet they led almost from the beginning.   It was a magical season because it was all so unexpected and surreal,  and because the cast of characters was so colorful and, yeah,  emblematic of the hardscrabble city itself.   

Macho Row had the same appeal as the seventies Broad Street Bullies. Even with the revelations of the steroid era tainting that team and, sadly, killing its leader,  we still have a fondness for the team that, above all others, reflected how we saw ourselves,  a city of gritty underdogs who stuck up for each other even as we confronted the world with fists balled.

RIP, Dutch.   And as for you, MitchiePoo, all is forgiven.   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:50:52 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:09:58 pm »
I think if you ask most Phillies phans,  that 1993 club is still the most beloved,  even more so than the 2008 World Champions,  authors of that "Perfect Season".   No one predicted the '93 Phils would be any more than long shots, yet they led almost from the beginning.   It was a magical season because it was all so unexpected and surreal,  and because the cast of characters was so colorful and, yeah,  emblematic of the hardscrabble city itself.
They had something else going for them: before anyone heard the term Moneyball, the '93 Phillies were a Moneyball team: they
found castoffs and reputed also-rans, based on their abilities to reach base with plate patience and a willingness to take walks
and thus create more runs than their bottom-heavy lineup would have suggested, and a pitching staff whose salient quality going
in seemed to be their durability but little else. (That season Curt Schilling became a breakout pitching star.) Billy Beane
himself credited the '93 Phillies with shifting his own thinking into the direction that eventually became Moneyball. Those Phillies
were tough to get out because they could wear you out at the plate until or unless they got something to get the bat on or
wring a walk or move a runner. They had a slugger here and there, but mostly they'd just wear you out at the plate.

Macho Row had the same appeal as the seventies Broad Street Bullies. Even with the revelations of the steroid era tainting that team and, sadly, killing its leader,  we still have a fondness for the team that, above all others, reflected how we saw ourselves,  a city of gritty underdogs who stuck up for each other even as we confronted the world with fists balled.
Daulton was never proven to have used actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances. Others on the team were (and
were named in the infamous Mitchell Report) but Daulton never was. He was, however, a walking pharmacy for the gobs of
painkillers he took trying to cope with those knees and the near-continuous injuries they took. I don't have a list of all the
meds he was given or took along that line, but I'd bet it would make up a list of stuff with hellacious side effects.

RIP, Dutch.   And as for you, MitchiePoo, all is forgiven.
There was, really, nothing to forgive. Williams may have been cocky but he went for his best against Carter and fell short.
Almost literally, too: he wanted to throw Carter a fastball up and in, knowing Carter wasn't that good at turning on that
pitch, and he almost got away with it---Carter was looking for a breaking ball, and if Williams had gotten that fastball up
and in he would have tied Carter up, probably into an out, even with Roberto Alomar on deck. But if you remember the
fatal pitch, Williams slide-stepped when he strode forward, instead of his normal step forth, and that took enough off the
delivery to leave that fastball where Carter, moving up just so anticipating the breaking ball, could and did make contact.
To this day Williams will tell you the slide step on the pitch was his big mistake.

And Williams knew it. He never once flinched from taking responsibility for the errant pitch. He faced every reporter,
every question, and answered them honestly and without trying to duck. He was as strong in taking it in defeat as
Dennis Eckersley was in answering for Kirk Gibson's walkoff homer in Game One of the '88 Series. When Dykstra and
Schilling threw the Wild Thing under the proverbial bus in the wake of the Series, it was a disgrace. So were whomever
the local idiots were who left nails around the tires of the Williams family cars.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:24 pm »
As always, excellent insights, EA.   You're right - Dutch had nine knee surgeries;  he must have been in excruciating pain and his drug use can easily be explained and even justified.   His career spanned the heart of the steroids era, but it's unfair to say he was caught up in that.   

Like you,  I thought the reaction of (some) phans to Mitch's errant pitch was disgraceful.   There's a certain breed of fan that uses sports as a socially acceptable outlet for cruelty.   Mitch was always a stand-up guy, and he successfully rehabilitated his reputation in Philly,  which has always appreciated that sort of honesty and candor. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:22:08 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:35:56 pm »
Great article, as always, @EasyAce

This part makes me think of Jose Canseco's twitter feed:
He became a sad laughingstock in 2008 when he began making public remarks about quantum physics, metaphysics, the occult, and the fifth dimension that sounded past merely supernatural to the nether regions of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:55:06 pm »
@EasyAce

Yet another GREAT piece of writing Ace!  But it does concern me that you seem so enamored of guys like Dalton and Dykstra, who did just about everything there was to do both on and off the field, but can't manage to cut poor old Pete Rose even the slightest break.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:55:38 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:09:42 pm »
@EasyAce

Yet another GREAT piece of writing Ace!  But it does concern me that you seem so enamored of guys like Dalton and Dykstra, who did just about everything there was to do both on and off the field, but can't manage to cut poor old Pete Rose even the slightest break.
@Bigun
I was hardly enamoured of Dalton and Dykstra; in fact, until Macho Row was published earlier this year,
I barely gave either of them a thought, other than whenever Dykstra's financial disasters hit the news and his
frauds were exposed deeper.

I merely reviewed the book when published; my initial interest was really because it was written by a man who'd
previously written a splendid book about the makings and unmakings of the 1964 Phillies, September Swoon:
Richie Allen, the '64 Phillies, and Racial Integration
. Reading Macho Row I learned things about Darren
Daulton I had never known and was reminded of only too many things about Lenny Dykstra.

When all else is balanced out I have a little more sympathy for Daulton than I do for Dykstra---who, by the way,
nearly killed Daulton in 1991 when, driving home drunk from John Kruk's bachelor party, Dykstra wrapped his car
around a tree with Daulton in the passenger seat.

So far as anyone knows neither Daulton nor Dykstra were found to have violated Rule 21(d) (Dykstra had a wild
gambling habit of his own but it was confined to high-price card games and golf rounds; in his days with the Mets
there were those on the team who feared Dykstra was liable to blow his entire year's salary in high-stakes card
games before he'd earned all of it) at all, never mind:

a) Doing everything they could to obstruct investigations into it. (Pete Rose did that when then-commissioner A.
Bartlett Giamatti did what his predecessor Peter Ueberroth wouldn't; indeed Rose's only defense against
the probe to which Giamatti assigned John Dowd was to try thwarting or stonewalling it while offering little if
any real evidence on his own behalf.)

b) Lying about it for what amounted to decades.

Add to that the prospect of his actually having engaged in sexual dalliances with underage girls (the evidence
isn't all in or all complete yet, of course) and, if he's guilty of that as well as violating baseball's Rule 21(d),
Pete Rose makes the 1993 Phillies resemble choirboys. Poor Pete, my foot.

The '93 Phillies weren't the most admirable men (neither were about half the 1986 Mets), but Daulton wasn't
the worst guy in baseball, either. And unlike Dykstra he actually seems to have cared about other people by
and large. In truth, until I read Macho Row I knew very little about Daulton even if I knew only too much
about Dykstra. In the end, Daulton held himself accountable. Dykstra hardly has.

If anyone on the 1993 Phillies really earned my respect, it was Mitch Williams for the way he stood up and
held himself accountable for throwing Joe Carter the mistake.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:20:57 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:14:53 pm »
@Bigun
I was hardly enamoured of Dalton and Dykstra; I merely reviewed the Kashatus book Macho Row when it was
published earlier this year, a book impossible to review without pondering either player. And I supposed when all else is
balanced out I have a little more sympathy for Daulton than I do for Dykstra---who, by the way, nearly killed Daulton in
1991 when, driving home drunk from John Kruk's bachelor party, Dykstra wrapped his car around a tree with Daulton in
the passenger seat.

But so far as anyone knows neither Daulton nor Dykstra were found to have violated Rule 21(d) (Dykstra had a wild
gambling habit of his own but it was confined to high-price card games and golf rounds) at all, never mind a) doing
everything they could to obstruct investigations into it, or b) lying about it for what amounts to decades. Pete Rose
makes those guys resemble choirboys. (To anyone else reading, as regards Pete Rose ask yourselves which part
of Rule 21(d) you still don't get. Then tell me about "poor Pete" if you can. And you can't.)

They weren't the most admirable men but Daulton wasn't the worst guy in baseball, either. And unlike Dykstra he
actually seems to have cared about other people by and large. In truth, until I read Macho Row I knew very
little about Daulton even if I knew only too much about Dykstra. In the end, Daulton held himself accountable.
Dykstra hardly has.

If anyone on the 1993 Phillies really earned my respect, it was Mitch Williams for the way he stood up and held himself
accountable for throwing Joe Carter the mistake.

@EasyAce

I wasn't speaking of Daulton or Dykstra specifically just using them as examples of what the game was like back in the day and IMHO Pete Rose is no different than a hundred other guys who played at that time except for the fact that he was a damned site more talented than most of them!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 02:27:29 pm »
As always, excellent insights, EA.   You're right - Dutch had nine knee surgeries;  he must have been in excruciating pain and his drug use can easily be explained and even justified.   His career spanned the heart of the steroids era, but it's unfair to say he was caught up in that.
One of the questions nobody seems to ask regarding the era of actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances
is this: A fair majority of those players who were either caught or copped on their own to trying them said the number
one reason for doing so had to do with injuries and helping them recover quicker. (Ken Caminiti, who first blew the
real whistle on it in the early Aughts, said shoulder injuries first prodded him to try them. Andy Pettitte really did
give human growth hormone---which, by the way, isn't classified as a steroid, folks---a try because of his chronically
barking pitching elbow; Eric Gagne admitted trying hGH for the same reason, in his case his knees. And Mark McGwire
finally admitted that his indulgence began in earnest when he, too, got fed up with slow injury recovery. The substances
do facilitate quicker injury recovery . . . but, in the cases of many of the substances, they often bring forth new
injury issues of their own.)

Professional sports aren't exactly
models of health care. I suspect that if sports medicine and professional teams took greater care with their players'
health, the steroid question would have been resolved at least in half if not more long before baseball finally got
wise and began the program it's since sustained with a few tweaks here and there.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 02:32:01 pm »
@EasyAce
 . . . IMHO Pete Rose is no different than a hundred other guys who played at that time except for the fact that he was a damned site more talented than most of them!
Recommended reading for you:

Michael Sokolove, Hustle: The Myth, Life, and Lies of Pete Rose
Katya Kennedy, Pete Rose: An American Dilemna

Those hundred other guys didn't violate Rule 21(d). Which part of the rule is still causing the most trouble,
especially after the uncovering two years ago of the notebooks Rose's marketing partner Michael Bertolini
kept in which Bertolini recorded numerous bets either Rose made himself or Bertolini place for Rose
in which Rose was betting on baseball---including his own teams---even while a player? Baseball in Rose's day
had its admirable men and its men who were far less than admirable, but Pete Rose was in a (lack of) class by himself
long before he got into Bart Giamatti's crosshairs, and it only began with then-commissioner Bowie Kuhn investigating
Rose over gambling but ultimately letting it go because, in the 1970s still, nobody wanted to lose a guy with his box
office and quotability.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:33:51 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
. . . except for the fact that he was a damned site more talented than most of them!
Pete Rose was a great player, but it's fatuous nonsense to say he was more talented than most as if that makes
him some kind of saint. To take players who played during Rose's playing days, come on---Willie Mays was more
talented than most, including Rose.

So was Hank Aaron.

So was Roberto Clemente.

So were Frank Robinson, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, Brooks Robinson, Carl Yastrzemski, Johnny Bench,
Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Carlton Fisk, George Brett, Tim Raines (who was pretty much the same type player
as Rose, an early-in-the-order guy with a little power and a lot of speed who extorted his way on base . . . but lining
up their fifteen best seasons you'd discover Raines reached base more often than Rose using less outs and created
more runs because he was better able to take the extra base on balls in play than Rose), Gary Carter, Cal Ripken,
Eddie Murray, Robin Yount, Ozzie Smith (he couldn't hit like Rose, though he improved as his career went on, but
he was fifty times the defender Rose was), Tony Gwynn, and Kirby Puckett.

Some of those men were admirable. Some of them were anything but.

But none of them violated Rule 21(d) and lied about it for decades after doing everything in their power
to obstruct the investigation into their violations rather than produce real evidence on their behalves.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 02:52:02 pm »
@EasyAce

Looks like you and I are just going to have to keep on disagreeing about Pete Rose.  And as far as I'm concerned that does not prevent us from remaining friends!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:55:58 pm »
@EasyAce

Looks like you and I are just going to have to keep on disagreeing about Pete Rose.  And as far as I'm concerned that does not prevent us from remaining friends!  :beer:
There's never a bourbon-and-Coke toast around when you need one! ;)
 :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 02:58:47 pm »
Heard a talk radio host...a local 'star' who's just 28 years old proudly declare that he knows he's getting 'old' when he can see a player he grew up with get inducted into the HOF.

I laughed at the radio...at, Grant Paulson, because I followed Mickey Mantle's entire career...saw Willie Mays' famous over-the-shoulder catch running full gallop toward the center-field warning track...on my grandmother's 13 inch B&W Admiral TV.  Watched Don Larsen's perfect game...Watched Maz's HR that made Mickey Mantle cry.

Baseball.   Sigh.........  Cal Ripken, Jr. is but a blip on my baseball landscape.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 02:59:04 pm »
There's never a bourbon-and-Coke toast around when you need one! ;)

I prefer a good single malt scotch but what the he!!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »
Heard a talk radio host...a local 'star' who's just 28 years old proudly declare that he knows he's getting 'old' when he can see a player he grew up with get inducted into the HOF.

I laughed at the radio...at, Grant Paulson, because I followed Mickey Mantle's entire career...saw Willie Mays' famous over-the-shoulder catch running full gallop toward the center-field warning track...on my grandmother's 13 inch B&W Admiral TV.  Watched Don Larsen's perfect game...Watched Maz's HR that made Mickey Mantle cry.

Baseball.   Sigh.........  Cal Ripken, Jr. is but a blip on my baseball landscape.

And YOU are an old PHART! Just like me!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 03:03:41 pm »
And YOU are an old PHART! Just like me!  :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 04:44:20 pm »

I guess I've only seen Bill Mazeroski's World Series-ending home run . . . the 1962 Mets (everything anyone ever
heard about them is only too true!) . . . Sandy Koufax owning the 1963 Yankees and proving with his fourth
no-hitter that practise makes perfect . . . Willie Mays hitting his 500th and 600th home runs . . . Moe Drabowsky's
eleven strikeouts in relief in Game One, 1966 World Series . . . Bob Gibson, Denny McLain, and the Year of the
Pitcher . . . the Miracle Mets . . . Tony Perez's fifteenth inning All-Star home run . . . There's a new home run
champion of all time, and it's Henry Aaron!
(though Vin Scully had the way better call of it) . . . the Mustache
Gang A's . . . the Big Red Machine . . . the Pittsburgh Lumber Company . . . Game Six, 1975 World Series . . . the
Bronx Zoo and Bucky Bleeping Dent . . . Reg-gie's three home runs in Game Six, 1977 World Series . . . the
Fam-I-Lee Pirates . . . Mike Schmidt's conversation-piece home runs . . . Fernandomania . . . Dwight Gooden, before
the fall . . . the 1986 World Series' Games Six and Seven . . . the all-home-win 1987 Series (the Twins won the set)
. . . Dennis Eckersley learning the hard way never to throw a slider to a cripple who happened to be Kirk Gibson
. . . the Earthquake Series . . . the Nasty Boys . . . the Core Five (Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Bernie
Williams, and The Mariano) . . . Cal Ripken Jr. nudging Lou Gehrig to one side . . . the 2002 Angels, the 2004 Red
Sox, the 2005 White Sox, and the 2016 Cubs breaking their actual or alleged curses . . . not to mention . . .

The Baby Bull
Bedrock
The Beeg Mon
The Big Cat
The Big Donkey
The Big Hurt
Big Papi
The Big Unit
The Bird
Black Jack
Bad Henry
Blue Moon
Bye Bye Balboni
Cakes
Capital Punishment
Catfish
Cha Cha
The Chairman of the Board
Charlie Hustle
Choo Choo
The Cobra
Crash
The Crime Dog
Dennis the Menace
Dimples
Ding Dong Bell
Dr. K
Dr. Strangeglove
The Dominican Dandy
El Duque
El Sid
Eric the Red
Everyday Eddie
The Express
The Flying Hawaiian
Frenchy
The Gambler
Gentleman Jim
The Giambino
Gimpy
Goose
Gonzo
Goombah
The Greek God of Walks*
Hoot
The Hoover
The Immortal Azcue
Jack the Ripper
Joey Bats
The Kid
Kingfish
King Kong
Kitty
Le Grande Orange
The Lip
Lou’siana Lightning
The Mad Hungarian
Mad Max
The Man of Steal
Mick the Quick
Mr. October
Mr. Putt Putt
The Monster
Nails
The Ol' Perfesser
Pat the Bat
The Penguin
Pudge
Puff the Magic Dragon
The Rooster
The Say Hey Kid
Stan the Man Unusual
Sudden Sam
Sugar Bear
Super Joe
Sweet Lou
Sweet Swingin’ Billy
Thor
The Terminator
Tortilla Fats
The Vulture
Wally World
The Wild Thing
The Wizard of Oz

. . . not to mention such teams/subsets as . . .

The Amazin’ Mets
The Baby Birds
The Killer Bs
The Big Red Machine
The Bronx Bombers
The Bronx Zoo
The Dalton Gang
El Birdos
The Evil Empire
The Fam-i-Lee
The Go-Go Sox
Harvey's Wallbangers
The Idiots
The Philthy Phillies
The Runnin' Redbirds
The Scum Bunch

. . . in such ballparks as . . .

The Big Shea
The Eighth Wonder of the World (which Joe Pepitone once nicknamed the World's Biggest Hair Dryer)
The Friendly Confines
The House That Ruthless Rebuilt
The Launching Pad
The Mistake on the Lake
The Old Girl
The Old Grey Lady of 33rd Street
The Thunderdome

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:44:52 pm by EasyAce »