Author Topic: Dunkirk critic faces backlash after slamming film’s ‘maleness’ in bizarre review  (Read 700 times)

Wingnut

DUNKIRK may be winning at the box office, but it can’t catch a break with some critics.

The Christopher Nolan-directed film was accused last week of whitewashing and now a new review of the movie in Marie Claire called out the film for being too male-centric.

“Dunkirk felt like an excuse for men to celebrate maleness — which apparently they don’t get to do enough,” Marie Claire’s Mehera Bonner wrote in her review.

Bonner added that while she does not need all movies to feature “strong female leads,” Dunkirk “screams ‘men-only’” and Nolan should have made a movie about either women or “any other marginalised group.”

The bitches review can be found here: http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a28515/dunkirk-movie-review/

Bonner’s criticism was mocked online by various news outlets and Twitter users, who felt her critique missed the mark and ignored historical facts, with many pointing out that a film about World War II soldiers would inevitably feature a male cast.

Nolan’s World War II drama tells the story of thousands of Allied troops being forced onto the beaches of Dunkirk after the invasion of France by Nazi Germany.

The movie also was previously slammed for having too many white cast members.

Several critics accused Dunkirk of whitewashing for leaving out soldiers from the Royal Indian Army Services Corp companies from the film for their contribution to the war efforts.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/new-movies/dunkirk-critic-faces-backlash-after-slamming-films-maleness-in-bizarre-review/news-story/cda2ff6cc1444e8faee911b7a92d84d9

Offline dfwgator

“Dunkirk felt like an excuse for men to celebrate maleness"

We give it "Two Snaps Up!"

Offline Suppressed

I wrote a response to an inane Memphis Belle newspaper review that was along similar lines.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

Millennials.  The more you are exposed to them the more they suck the life out of everything.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I saw the film, and credit to the movie's producers/directors for not making it phony. Dunkirk is in the Dutch part, of Belgium's coast (hence Germanic "kirk").

There were American, Canadian, Australian, Belgian and Dutch troops rescued, I was told by a Dutch friend here.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Mad Max

I saw the film, and credit to the movie's producers/directors for not making it phony. Dunkirk is in the Dutch part, of Belgium's coast (hence Germanic "kirk").

There were American, Canadian, Australian, Belgian and Dutch troops rescued, I was told by a Dutch friend here.

The directors goal is to make these films as historically accurate as possible and with finite budgets. If they did make it accurate, it would run three hours long. If people want to know more, they can always watch a documentary.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:23:09 pm by Mad Max »