Author Topic: Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem  (Read 16816 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2017, 02:58:39 pm »
Has anyone thought about talking to them about abstinence?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2017, 03:03:27 pm »
I have hear tell that wild hog often has a taint to the meat... Is that true?

Are you talking about a taste or disease?  Wild pigs are commonly carriers of brucellosis, also known as undulant fever.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2017, 03:24:59 pm »

I haven't noticed that with any of the wild hogs that I have eaten. Now wild hogs don't have near the fat that farm raised hogs do.  I've known ranchers that trap wild hogs and then add them to their pen of hogs to fatten them up.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2017, 03:44:39 pm »
Are you talking about a taste or disease?  Wild pigs are commonly carriers of brucellosis, also known as undulant fever.

Both - I was aware of the brucellosis = it's cow country up here too :)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2017, 03:51:00 pm »
I haven't noticed that with any of the wild hogs that I have eaten. Now wild hogs don't have near the fat that farm raised hogs do.  I've known ranchers that trap wild hogs and then add them to their pen of hogs to fatten them up.

I get a lot of my info from kin in KS, MS, and MO... I have been told they get a stank on them... and a strong funk in the meat comparable to gaminess in deer. Maybe it's something they eat there that is the cause.

I would reckon that penning them up and feeding them for a while would rid them of such - Like grain fed deer are seldom gamey...

But then I don't know anything about it, more than I have been told. Which is why I inquire.  :shrug:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2017, 04:11:57 pm »
It may be their diet, or possibly their size. I have not noticed any gaminess at all with the hogs we shoot.  But I don't think deer is gami at all. Mostly ones around 75- 150 lbs or so. Now I did get some hog meat that even the dogs wouldn't eat. My friend shot it and they borrowed my chainfall to get it out of the truck. We didn't weigh it, but I remember just the hide and gristle plate weighed over 150 lbs.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »
It may be their diet, or possibly their size. I have not noticed any gaminess at all with the hogs we shoot.  But I don't think deer is gami at all. Mostly ones around 75- 150 lbs or so. Now I did get some hog meat that even the dogs wouldn't eat. My friend shot it and they borrowed my chainfall to get it out of the truck. We didn't weigh it, but I remember just the hide and gristle plate weighed over 150 lbs.

Up here deer can get so gamey it isn't even worth making sausage from it... Now, that is partly from a bad kill where the critter isn't blooded immediately and adrenaline load is high - In my mind that nearly always results in gamey meat. but often deer taken from wild country with a head shot and immediate cleaning can still be pretty gamey. If they're taken low, where they've been feeding on grain and pasture grass, it is far less likely to be true.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2017, 05:15:27 pm »
The first deer I killed, my mom was so worried about it having a gamey taste, she would soak it in milk before cooking it. On the next and thereafter she treated it as just another chunk of meat. I learned to treat it the same. I've made batches of spaghetti sauce that had beef, wild hog, and deer all together.

I'm just a carnivore.

Offline thackney

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2017, 09:17:41 pm »

I've been told by folks eating them that a bit gamier but much less fat.  No bacon from these because they travel such distances.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2017, 09:33:50 pm »

Never eat taint meat.