Author Topic: Social justice has invaded engineering curriculum, professor writes  (Read 862 times)

rangerrebew

Social justice has invaded engineering curriculum, professor writes
August 2, 2017

Engineers “like to solve technical problems.” It’s a major reason why they enter the profession, Michigan State University engineering professor Indrek Wichman says.

But it’s not the only reason. In a post published by the James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal, Wichman writes a few other aspects also draw engineers to the field of study.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/bulletin-board/social-justice-invaded-engineering-curriculum-professor-writes/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:50:12 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline the_doc

Re: Social justice has invaded engineering curriculum, professor writes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 05:31:27 pm »
There is a limit to the degree of influence of social justice issues on engineers.  This is because engineers are objective and mainly interested in hard science (rather than soft science).  Engineers are, as a group, extraordinarily rational and practical.  Thus, engineers are much more inclined to be politically conservative. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:43:56 pm »
The bridges now have to be designed to hold the weight of the traffic on the bridge, plus the weight of the SJWs blocking the traffic on the bridge.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline the_doc

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 06:16:02 pm »
The bridges now have to be designed to hold the weight of the traffic on the bridge, plus the weight of the SJWs blocking the traffic on the bridge.   *****rollingeyes*****

Now that's a good engineer's assessment of today's societal mess!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »

@RoosGirl

And include a Safe-space Factor in the design.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:23:15 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 06:22:37 pm »
@the_doc You know what they say; you can take the girl out of engineering, but you can't take the engineering out of the girl.  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:23:29 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »
@RoosGirl

And include a Safe-space Factor in the design.

Oh, that goes without saying!  I'm envisioning a sidewalk, a bike lane, a SJW lane (with dashed instead of solid lines), a vehicle lane, another two SJW lanes, a second vehicle lane, then another SJW lane, raised median in the center and then mirror it all on the other side for traffic in the opposite direction.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 06:30:17 pm »
Oh, that goes without saying!  I'm envisioning a sidewalk, a bike lane, a SJW lane (with dashed instead of solid lines), a vehicle lane, another two SJW lanes, a second vehicle lane, then another SJW lane, raised median in the center and then mirror it all on the other side for traffic in the opposite direction.
Wait a minute!  You forgot to say that the median must be a significant Green Space--very wide with lovely landscaping suitable for homeless folks.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:33:22 pm »

You realize, of course, that nothing can be built vertically...as that's "heirarchical". 

And you can't have any specifications, as that's restrictive of differences.

Your engineering drawings must be done in whatever medium the artis...uh, engineer, prefers.  Extra points for bodily fluids being incorporated.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:47:37 pm »

Your engineering drawings must be done in whatever medium the artis...uh, engineer, prefers.  Extra points for bodily fluids being incorporated.

Ewww, this is the first time in my life I feel sorry for the gov't toad that has to review and approve the plans.

BassWrangler

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 08:56:07 pm »
There is a limit to the degree of influence of social justice issues on engineers.  This is because engineers are objective and mainly interested in hard science (rather than soft science).  Engineers are, as a group, extraordinarily rational and practical.  Thus, engineers are much more inclined to be politically conservative.

I have interviewed many young engineering school graduates. I can say with utter certainty that something is rotten in the US education system, because it is just not turning out quality engineering graduates like it used to. It's one of the reasons there are so many foreign nationals working at my employer.