Author Topic: Lovers Share Colonies of Skin Microbes, Study Finds  (Read 458 times)

Offline Suppressed

Lovers Share Colonies of Skin Microbes, Study Finds
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:30 pm »
Lovers Share Colonies of Skin Microbes, Study Finds
Trilobites
By ANERI PATTANI JULY 31, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/health/microbes-couples-cohabitation.html

The bacteria on your feet can say a lot about you — including who your partner is. New research finds that people who live together significantly influence the microbial communities on each other’s skin.
Credit James Estrin/The New York Times

Couples who live together share a lot of things: beds, bathrooms, food, toiletries. But one thing they might not expect to share? Skin bacteria.

In a study published Thursday in mSystems, an open-access journal of the American Society for Microbiology, researchers studied the skin microbiomes of 10 sexually active, heterosexual couples living together.

A microbiome is a mini-ecosystem of bacteria, fungi, viruses and other microorganisms living on and in the body. Each square centimeter of skin hosts between one million and one billion microorganisms, according to the study.

After analyzing 330 skin swabs collected from 17 parts of the body on each participant, the researchers found that each person significantly influenced the microbial communities on a lover’s skin.

In fact, computer algorithms relying on microbial data were able to accurately match couples with up to 86 percent accuracy.

Excerpt.  Read more at https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/health/microbes-couples-cohabitation.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Lovers Share Colonies of Skin Microbes, Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 08:09:24 pm »
I can see huge legal implications if such correlations can be made.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn