Author Topic: Recommendations For A Laptop  (Read 3751 times)

Offline mrclose

Recommendations For A Laptop
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:08:27 pm »
A lady friend who is in her 70's asked me to recommend a laptop computer for her that does the basic "stuff."

She doesn't do much on my computer when she uses it.
She is a complete novice and has no desire to do anything more than check email and play games!

When I say games, I don't mean "games" that gamers play!

She only plays card and board games that I purchased for her from Hoyle!
(Very resource light gaming)

She would like either a 2 in 1 touch screen or a simple touch screen .. whichever is the least expensive.

A mac is out of the question since I don't know, and can't teach her how to use it .. plus the mac is so much more money?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank You

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Recommendations For A Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:15:57 pm »
This one does "basic" stuff all day long....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:39:45 pm »
A lady friend who is in her 70's asked me to recommend a laptop computer for her that does the basic "stuff."

She doesn't do much on my computer when she uses it.
She is a complete novice and has no desire to do anything more than check email and play games!

When I say games, I don't mean "games" that gamers play!

She only plays card and board games that I purchased for her from Hoyle!
(Very resource light gaming)

She would like either a 2 in 1 touch screen or a simple touch screen .. whichever is the least expensive.

A mac is out of the question since I don't know, and can't teach her how to use it .. plus the mac is so much more money?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank You

We have two Dell machines, with Win 10 and touchscreens. I bought the first 11.6 inch 2 in 1 version, intel i3, 4 mb memory, 500 mb storage when it came out with Win 8. I wanted a lower cost but more capable alternative to an iPad. (later upgraded to Win 10).

More Last winter we needed to replace a larger screen laptop, and I went with a Dell 15.4 inch touchscreen, intel i3, 8 mb memory, 1 tb storage.

In both cases I selected them for low cost, since we do not-play games, or require massive computing power. (both machines cost less than $400)

We have been very happy with both, aside from learning touch and Win 10, which is not all that difficult.

The alternate brands for moderately priced touchscreens were Lenova and HP.....

Finally another brand I like is Asus, which at the time I got a Win 7 machine, was rated along with Toshiba as the most trouble free. (again, intel i3) 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
This one does "basic" stuff all day long....

I have that model.  Works fine. 

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:11 pm »
We have two Dell machines, with Win 10 and touchscreens. I bought the first 11.6 inch 2 in 1 version, intel i3, 4 mb memory, 500 mb storage when it came out with Win 8. I wanted a lower cost but more capable alternative to an iPad. (later upgraded to Win 10).

More Last winter we needed to replace a larger screen laptop, and I went with a Dell 15.4 inch touchscreen, intel i3, 8 mb memory, 1 tb storage.

In both cases I selected them for low cost, since we do not-play games, or require massive computing power. (both machines cost less than $400)

We have been very happy with both, aside from learning touch and Win 10, which is not all that difficult.

Finally another brand I like is Asus, which at the time I got a Win 7 machine, was rated along with Toshiba as the most trouble free. (again, intel i3)

Where did you purchase them?
Thank You
~ Self

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »
My recommendation to people is "always get a desktop". The reason is that laptops are meant to be portable, which means they have certain disadvantages. Older adults tend to play into the disadvantages.
For instance, if I spill something into my keyboard on my desktop, I shake it out. On a laptop, that may be fatal.
They may have issues with the pad. They may place it on a cushion and burn it up. They may drop it.
Desktops are very, very, very cheap because everyone is trying to sell an old one. You can buy them for $30. You wipe it, install Linux and go. You install Linux because older people collect viruses and malware like it is their full time job.
If they get a desktop and decide they need a laptop, that's the time to get a laptop. I buy Lenova laptops because they are cheap.
Countdown to Resignation

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:37 pm »
My recommendation to people is "always get a desktop". The reason is that laptops are meant to be portable, which means they have certain disadvantages. Older adults tend to play into the disadvantages.
For instance, if I spill something into my keyboard on my desktop, I shake it out. On a laptop, that may be fatal.
They may have issues with the pad. They may place it on a cushion and burn it up. They may drop it.
Desktops are very, very, very cheap because everyone is trying to sell an old one. You can buy them for $30. You wipe it, install Linux and go. You install Linux because older people collect viruses and malware like it is their full time job.
If they get a desktop and decide they need a laptop, that's the time to get a laptop. I buy Lenova laptops because they are cheap.

Excellent advice.  Towers are getting cheaper by the month. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:15:01 pm »
Where did you purchase them?
Thank You

Direct from Dell, online. I have had an account, for many years. Essentially a credit card.

(those were my 2nd and 3rd Dell purchases, and I have been satisfied with their equipment.)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:38:41 pm »
I know you computer geeks love a tower and blah blah blah.  But towers can be intimidating for people who have low computer knowledge.  If she's only doing email and card games, why not a tablet with a removable keyboard even?  it will take up much less room and she won't be stuck in one place to do what she wants to do on it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:42:52 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline mrclose

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:25:19 pm »

The lady knows the rudiments of the desktop but has been looking into the laptop because her sister has one and loves it.

I will bring your thoughts to her attention and see what she has to say.

Again .. Thank You to Everyone!
~ Self

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:55:50 pm »
If travel is not an issue, might I suggest a large form factor laptop?
They are still portable enough to take in the kitchen or out on the deck, but you get a full keyboard and a large monitor (usually 17"). Not recommended for travel - They tend to be heavy.

I have used a laptop for my main whip for years, because I am not stuck at the desk, and can run all the rest of my machines with the laptop. And I love the large form factor. I can see it without having to use my glasses. And vid in full screen mode is much more enjoyable.

Cheap seats: mid-range Acer, Asus, and if it is going to stay home and be treated nicely, Toshiba, HP, or Dell.

For quality, HP elite series enterprise machines.

And I would speak against convertibles.... And touch screens. They tend to be mechanically unreliable and expensive to fix.

If you want a convertible and touch, stay in the tablets.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:38:52 am »
Gotta throw in my vote for the large form laptop (aka desktop replacement, or DTR).  It's a good compromise between the power of a desktop, a large screen, and the ability to be put away neatly out of sight when not in use. 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:53 am »
This is what I'm using in my bedroom.

It is a HP 8300 Elite--refurbished-- I got on sale at Newegg for a $100. The screen is a 28" Vizio tv I got on sale at Walmart for $120. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard for $20. In for $240 (plus tax). It does what I want it to do.

The wife has a Toshiba Satelite laptop that was around $300-$350 that has been ok. They work fine for what we do. The wife either uses her laptop at the kitchen table (or on the little sidebar next to the table). Or this one. We trade off all the time. This mini box is wifi. The cat likes to lay on the laptop that is usually open on the sidebar by the kitchen table. The cat is not allowed up on the table. Or the sidebar. But now, apparently, she has allowed herself to get on the laptop on the sidebar. It is an issue. My wife doesn't know computers so when the cat does something the wife has to wait until I get home from work to troubleshoot it.

That is all I know.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 02:19:01 am »
mrclose wrote:
"A mac is out of the question since I don't know, and can't teach her how to use it .. plus the mac is so much more money?"

If she gets a Mac laptop, she won't need you to teach her how to use it... ;)

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 04:21:44 am »
TigerDirect.com

Look at the ChromeBooks - 2GB memory Dual core minimum
Price range should be between $200 to $400

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 06:40:29 am »
Were I her I'd get a Chromebook or one of the cheaper Lenovo's. We use Lenovo's at work and they are very stable.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 01:26:57 pm »
@mrclose

My husband died in August, 2011.  The next day when I needed to send messages to people, my Dell laptop computer wouldn't turn on.  I immediately took it to a computer guy my husband used.  I told him what happened and said I had to have a computer right then.  He said mine was finished.  I asked him what to buy and he said Toshiba.  Went to Best Buy right then and bought a Toshiba.  It wasn't expensive.  Took it to him and picked it up the next day after he transferred all my files onto the Toshiba.  I asked him what I owed and he said, "Nothing."  I thanked him and went from there to the funeral home with the new computer in the car.

I still have the Toshiba and it has been a fine machine.  My Dells and this Toshiba laptop computers were work horses since I was working in politics and had mega data in Excel and other data programs.

I have two friends - one was a bank president for years and she was an officer at another bank.  They don't know jack about computers even as smart as they are.  His son bought him a Kindle.  He waited a whole year until I came to see them to get it registered at Amazon and put a book on there he wanted.

Consider a laptop Toshiba.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 01:51:44 pm »
The tablet idea with a keyboard is an excellent choice. I would also get a monitor/TV for it as well. You can pick up a Windows tablet for less than $200.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:39 pm »
Don't want to jinx it.......but my inexpensive Lenovo purchased at Staples is doing just fine.
I am tech challenged to say the least but so far so good.
Email, surf various websites and play solitaire now and then.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 05:52:18 pm »
Don't want to jinx it.......but my inexpensive Lenovo purchased at Staples is doing just fine.
I am tech challenged to say the least but so far so good.
Email, surf various websites and play solitaire now and then.

Lenovos are pretty good. I don't see too many of them cross my bench... That's a touch anecdotal, I suppose. But it says something that I seldom see them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 06:14:38 pm »

I agree.  I have two Inspirons, and they're great.  And, Dell has gone back to providing good customer service.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 10:05:53 pm »
And, Dell has gone back to providing good customer service.

@Sanguine  That's great to hear!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mrclose

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 11:02:19 pm »
Lenovos are pretty good. I don't see too many of them cross my bench... That's a touch anecdotal, I suppose. But it says something that I seldom see them.

That is what this desktop is ... Lenovo and not only is it a great machine, their support software is second to none!

To Everyone .. I can't Thank You enough for your input on my question about the laptop.

All I can say at this time is .. I HAVE A HEADACHE! :chairbang:

There are just too many selections! :shrug:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:03:36 pm by mrclose »
~ Self