Author Topic: Race Hysteria Erupts over a Commonsense Casting Decision on Broadway  (Read 766 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Everyone associated with The Great Comet will soon be out of work if the show doesn’t find a way to boost ticket sales.

There are times when watching progressives try to grapple with their own conceptual contradictions is like watching a blind man with Crisco on his hands trying to juggle chainsaws. Broadway theater, an aggressively leftist institution, is today presenting the following spectacle: A white actor has been shamed out of playing a white character in a Broadway show because it would have been hurtful to black actors.

Mandy Patinkin, a reliable box-office attraction on Broadway going back to the 1970s (Evita) and a star of television (Criminal Minds, Homeland) and film (The Princess Bride), was set to take over the lead male role in the musical Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812, replacing Josh Groban, whose popularity is widely credited with making the oddball show a success.

Great Comet, with original songs and a story based on (a small slice of) War and Peace, wasn’t an obvious candidate for box-office glory, but Groban’s huge fan base filled the seats. “It wasn’t Leo Tolstoy who turned out the crowds,” notes New York Post theater columnist Michael Riedel, the definitive Broadway observer. “It was Josh Groban.”

Post-Groban, advance ticket sales for late summer and fall were “catastrophically low,” the show’s composer, Dave Malloy, said. When Groban left the show on the expiration of his contract on July 2, the boyish baritone was temporarily replaced by an unknown, Okieriete “Oak” Onaodowan, whom Patinkin would have replaced. Onaodowan is black. Patinkin isn’t. So an utterly routine fact of Broadway life — star replaces non-star — was dressed up in racial outrage.

Social media seethed. The Daily News headline read “‘Great Comet’ actor Okieriete Onaodowan shoved aside for Mandy Patinkin, causing outcry.” One actor, Rafael Casal, tweeted, “Telling lead actors of color to #makeroom? Really? @greatcometbway #makeroom is the new code for ‘still not your turn.’”
Actress Cynthia Erivo, who won a Tony in 2015 for The Color Purple, also took exception, tweeting, “This has been handled badly. Ticket sales shouldn’t override a person doing his job” and “Oak worked extremely hard for this. Which makes this occurrence distasteful and uncouth.” Patinkin withdrew from the show, groveling. The producers who hired him also scraped and begged forgiveness, as did the composer. All did much agonizing about how they should have better understood the “optics.” Then Onaodowan himself quit, announcing that August 13 would bring his last performance. Trump and Mexican president clash over who's building the wall

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450068/great-comet-broadway-mandy-patinkin-josh-groban-okieriete-onaodowan-race-hysteria-progressives
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Race Hysteria Erupts over a Commonsense Casting Decision on Broadway
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:39:59 pm »
This story has special meaning to me.  In fact, it has been grinning all over the place.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:41:05 pm »
Hopefully more of broadway will go out of business under its own dead weight.  Can't stand the place. 

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »
Reportedly Mandy Patinkin, is a miserable SOB to work with.  Co stars hate to work with him. He treats people like crap.  He is lower than dog doody. Other than that I think he's a great guy to be the face of diversity on Broadway.  A place where your basic showfolk bleep can poontang around with whomever they choose without risk of offending your basic Broadway show goer.. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:50:27 pm »
#makeroom is the new code for ‘still not your turn.’
Except he did have his turn. Then it was Patinkin's turn. See how that works? Just like it once was Tony Romo's "turn" to play QB for the Cowboys, then it was Dak Prescott's. It's like the circle of life, or something.

Ticket sales shouldn’t override a person doing his job
This is an actual working actress saying this? Hey, let's just keep paying actors to perform in shows for which absolutely no one buys tickets, too, while we're at it. It's only fair.  :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:54:52 pm »
As some of you may know I'm a huge fan of Ted Cruz.

Ted does a hysterical impression of dialogue from The Princess Bride, a movie in which Mandy Patikin had a starring role.

Patikin took exception to this.

"When I first heard that Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz was quoting The Princess Bride, I found it amusing and kind of stunning. Then I saw the extent to which he was quoting almost every line in the movie, and a friend sent me a photograph of myself as Inigo Montoya with Cruz’s face superimposed over mine. I’m concerned that Cruz is using the film as a political tool. I don’t think it’s appropriate."

Patikin goes on to give his reason.  He claims that the movie is about love and forgiveness and that Cruz is not worthy to quote from it because ... wait for it ... Cruz is all about hate.

What Patikin may not know is that The Princess Bride is not the only document Ted can quote from.  He can also quote the Constitution.

When Patikin originally made the news with his criticism of Ted Cruz, I was furious.  But, oh, well, there was nothing I could do.

And then Karma stepped in.  To have Mandy caught in this ridiculous bruhaha about a white man replacing a black man is Karma at its best.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
Wouldn't this be some kind of racial appropriation? How would they like Harriet Tubman played by a white woman?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 06:33:22 pm »
Quit paying the actors and I bet they suddenly care about money.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Mod1

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »
Moving to the Entertainment category.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:48:12 pm »
Moving to the Entertainment category.

Please move back to politics.  This is more a political story than an entertainment story.

Thanks.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:01 pm »
These are the same ignorant historically challenged SJW imbiciles who are complaining about the lack of black actors in the movie Dunkirk.

Note tot he SJW's....a Black Russian is a drink you'll find in a bar...not in the pages of a Tolstoy novel.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 07:00:41 pm »
These are the same ignorant historically challenged SJW imbiciles who are complaining about the lack of black actors in the movie Dunkirk.
I almost laughed aloud at the movie theatre when I saw that there actually were black actors in "Dunkirk," portraying French soldiers. Poor SJWs.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 07:04:54 pm »
The only Broadway play I liked....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szE_qmzavQ