Author Topic: Trump to Mexican president: Stop saying your government won't pay for wall  (Read 1633 times)

Offline corbe

Trump to Mexican president: Stop saying your government won't pay for wall

By Mallory Shelbourne  - 08/03/17 09:34 AM EDT

President Trump pleaded that Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto stop stating that his country would not pay for a wall on the border in their first telephone discussion, according to a transcript of the Jan. 27 call obtained by The Washington Post.

"You cannot say that to the press,” Trump told Nieto, urging him to refrain from the public statements because of the political damage it would impose on Trump.

“If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that,” Trump told Nieto, according to the transcript obtained by the Post.

In a line likely to surprise some Trump supporters, the president described the wall as "the least important thing we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important."
The conversation is one of several Trump held with foreign leaders as he took office.

Details of the calls have been made public, but this is the first time entire transcripts have leaked out.

The remarks about the wall are particularly notable because they suggest that Trump had doubts about whether Mexico would  be willing to pay for it.

Trump's declaration that he would build a wall on the southern border and that Mexico would pay for it was a central theme of his presidential campaign. At rallies around the country, audiences would answer with "build the wall" as Trump asked, "What are we going to do?"

Trump would then ask, "And who's going to pay for it?"

"Mexico," crowds would repeatedly respond.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/345117-trump-asked-mexican-president-to-stop-publicly-saying-his-government

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well the wall wasn't all that important to him. He just needed to keep talking about it to bring the rubes into the tent.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Well the wall wasn't all that important to him. He just needed to keep talking about it to bring the rubes into the tent.

Yep.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
So much for Reince being the leaker. The leaks are still coming after he is out. And bigger....

The Washington Post has obtained transcripts of two conversations President Trump had with foreign leaders: one with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and another with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

The transcripts were prepared by the White House but have not been released....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.3261b51e8886

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Cripplecreek

The growing desperation runs deep among his defenders.

Trump is an honest liar?

Offline Cripplecreek

‘This deal will make me look terrible’: Full transcripts of Trump’s calls with Mexico and Australia

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.4d03ae115955

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
From the Transcripts:

One big takeaway is that Trump seems to acknowledge exactly what his pledge to make Mexico pay for the border wall was — a hollow promise meant to rile up the base.

At one point in his call with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, Trump even acknowledges that the wall is “the least important thing we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important.”

Trump spent much of his call with Pena Nieto just trying to convince him to stop talking about how Mexico would not pay for the wall. Trump even suggested he would fudge it in the end so that both sides could claim they didn't give in.

“We should both say, ‘We will work it out.’ It will work out in the formula somehow,” Trump said. “As opposed to you saying, ‘We will not pay,’ and me saying, ‘We will not pay.’ ”

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

This was one of Trump's more juvenile campaign promises. The most I hoped for from him was he'd resist getting on board DC's 'comprehensive immigration reform' bandwagon.

As it is I've been pretty happy with his policies regarding the border. Definite improvements over the past half dozen administrations.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Conservatives are a joke. How many so many of them latched themselves to this charlatan and threw away their morals for this guy.

Now I can throw Trump in their faces for the rest of eternity.

Offline Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek Nevermind

Some days you just wanna beat your head against the wall don't cha?

Offline Cripplecreek

Conservatives are a joke. How many so many of them latched themselves to this charlatan and threw away their morals for this guy.

Constitutional originalist / federalist conservatives have held firm. Trump simply enabled and gave voice to the progressive right.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The growing desperation runs deep among his defenders.

Trump is an honest liar?

@Cripplecreek is that akin to "Fake but accurate"?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Constitutional originalist / federalist conservatives have held firm. Trump simply enabled and gave voice to the progressive right.

Exactly.

Offline RoosGirl

Some days you just wanna beat your head against the wall don't cha?

Most days!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

The only joke is the holier then thou perfectionist who thinks they know everything.  Sheeit you guys missed your calling as a fortune teller

The rest of us do the best we can with what's available.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cripplecreek

Exactly.

Too many Americans have fallen for the lie that progressivism = leftism. The reality is that progressivism is not an end result, its only a means. The goals of left and right may be very different but those who use progressivism to achieve them believe nothing should stand in their way and the constitution is the biggest obstacle of both.

Just look at Teddy Roosevelt's progressive party platform. He clearly intended it as a means of seizing power for good. He supported income taxes, he supported direct election of senators, he supported national health care and he's some kind of conservative icon for some reason I don't understand.

Offline ABX

So, "the wall just got 50 feet higher" was a lie too?
What's a person suppised to believe? Can we get a tell up front when a lie is about to be told? For Obama, it started out when he says: "let me be clear". What's Trump's tell that he is lying? So far, the only one I can find is if he is speaking or tweeting.

Offline RoosGirl

The only joke is the holier then thou perfectionist who thinks they know everything.  Sheeit you guys missed your calling as a fortune teller

The rest of us do the best we can with what's available.

Discernment is not a complicated or mystical trait.  But it does require one open their eyes and ears and put aside their willful ignorance.

Offline driftdiver

Discernment is not a complicated or mystical trait.  But it does require one open their eyes and ears and put aside their willful ignorance.

Yes oh masterful wise one.  You are prescient in the ways of the world and an example of perfection.  If only the politicians could be as perfect.

Offline RoosGirl

Yes oh masterful wise one.  You are prescient in the ways of the world and an example of perfection.  If only the politicians could be as perfect.

You are the only one using the word "perfect".

Offline driftdiver

You are the only one using the word "perfect".

Oh there are many words that hold the same meaning.  But how dare I presume to tell that to one of the holy ones who have had so much iinfluence on elections and been so imminently successful pushing thru their perfect agenda.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

It'd be an improvement. A large improvement.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline RoosGirl

Oh there are many words that hold the same meaning.  But how dare I presume to tell that to one of the holy ones who have had so much iinfluence on elections and been so imminently successful pushing thru their perfect agenda.

I'm glad your opinion of me has improved so much.  This is a long way from accusing me of adultery like you have in the past. :)

Offline ABX

Most people just want reasonable. We aren't even getting that. No one said they expect perfect. Hell, at least coming out a bit to the right of Jeb! would be an improvement at this point.