Author Topic: Best Diets Overall  (Read 658 times)

rangerrebew

Best Diets Overall
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »

Best Diets Overall

U.S. News evaluated and ranked the 38 diets below with input from a panel of health experts. To be top-rated, a diet had to be relatively easy to follow, nutritious, safe, effective for weight loss and protective against diabetes and heart disease. The government-endorsed Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet took the top spot, while the Mediterranean diet came in second.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall

Offline Applewood

Re: Best Diets Overall
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:59:21 pm »
I did well on Weight Watchers till the program changed so often, it became annoying and confusing. and I was not losing.  Because I couldn't get to goal, the plan became too expensive.  For those who don't know WW, you have to pay every week until you reach goal and maintain for six weeks.  You then achieve Lifetime status where you no longer pay unless you gain 2 pounds above goal. 

I still follow Weight Watchers basics such as portion control.  I have had 2 doctors recommend it, so I believe it is medically sound. 

A friend is on Paleo.  The good point is that Paleo takes you off processed and junk food.  Bad thing is the heavy emphasis on meat (not good for cholesterol) and it restricts some healthy food like tomatoes.  The friend has lost some weight on Paleo, but she is missing some of the restricted foods, so she is finding herself "cheating.  Not good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Best Diets Overall
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:41 pm »
Blue zones. Where people live past 100.

Two in Mediterranean (Greece, Italy), Okinawa, Costa Rica, Loma Linda CA 97th Day Adventist, vegetarian)

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/04/11/398325030/eating-to-break-100-longevity-diet-tips-from-the-blue-zones
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln