Author Topic: Trump Touts Policy Giving Green Card Preference to High-Skilled Immigrants Who Speak English, Don't Take Welfare  (Read 1016 times)

rangerrebew

Trump Touts Policy Giving Green Card Preference to High-Skilled Immigrants Who Speak English, Don't Take Welfare

(CNSNews.com) - President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced legislation on immigration reform that changes the way green cards are issued to people who want permanent U.S. residency.

Instead of giving green cards to low-skilled immigrants, the RAISE act gives preference to high-skilled immigrants who speak English, can support themselves financially and will not collect welfare.

Source URL: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-arter/trump-touts-immigration-reform-bill-gives-green-card-preference-high

Offline aligncare

Proposing long overdue reform of our insane immigration policies puts Trump in contention for Mt. Rushmore, in my opinion.

Plus I have the added pleasure of seeing the incessantly petty NeverTrump critics reaction, as PRESIDENT Trump continues knocking down every 'he ain't conservative' straw man they reflexively regurgitate. Amusing and quite tasty, really, because he is proving them wrong, yet again.

Offline aligncare

Today Rush has been analyzing the Miller exchange with Acosta over the immigration changes proposed by PRESIDENT Trump; all very common sense conservative solutions to the immigration mess.

Let's see if Trump can light a fire under the congress.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:45:20 pm by aligncare »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Only caveat I would add is that the business must advertise the job for so long before bringing in an immigrant, and must pay the same wage as originally advertised.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This seems to beyond the target of skilled H1B labor to unskilled, seasonal H2B workers, ie legal day laborers and seasonal migrant workers (specifically noting legal immigrants here, not discussing illegal).

This will leave a possible unskilled, low pay labor gap.

I wonder if the consideration has been given to use prisoners to fill this. They can't say no and can be paid pennies on the dollar compared to even migrant workers, and if we need more of them, we can just make more things crimes to get more prisoners.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's the market for unskilled labor that's causing most of the problems.   Employers need such workers for seasonal work, and a way should be found - a la the fifties Bracero program - for immigrants to come here on a seasonal basis and then be able to return home to their families.  As illegal immigration becomes more difficult, the incentives increase for folks to get their whole families here - with the attendant cost to taxpayers of educating and otherwise providing for such families.  An effective guest worker program offers the promise of allowing employers to satisfy their labor needs, while allowing such workers to keep their families at home.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Or we can let labor rise to it's natural level, and Americans will do those jobs.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's the market for unskilled labor that's causing most of the problems.   Employers need such workers for seasonal work, and a way should be found - a la the fifties Bracero program - for immigrants to come here on a seasonal basis and then be able to return home to their families.  As illegal immigration becomes more difficult, the incentives increase for folks to get their whole families here - with the attendant cost to taxpayers of educating and otherwise providing for such families.  An effective guest worker program offers the promise of allowing employers to satisfy their labor needs, while allowing such workers to keep their families at home.   

This isn't a bad idea either... my problem with the current situation is that the law is not enforced.

Whatever the law is, it should be enforced or changed. Period.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
This isn't a bad idea either... my problem with the current situation is that the law is not enforced.

Whatever the law is, it should be enforced or changed. Period.

I agree that it's ridiculous to have a law on the books and not enforce it. 

Offline RoosGirl

Proposing long overdue reform of our insane immigration policies puts Trump in contention for Mt. Rushmore, in my opinion.

Plus I have the added pleasure of seeing the incessantly petty NeverTrump critics reaction, as PRESIDENT Trump continues knocking down every 'he ain't conservative' straw man they reflexively regurgitate. Amusing and quite tasty, really, because he is proving them wrong, yet again.

We must not be reading the same posts.  When Trump does something conservative we applaud him for it and when he doesn't we criticize him for it.  Course, y'all get all bent out of shape at the criticism, and that's the part I find amusing and tasty.  Besides that, your resident Trumpgirl RightInVirginia agrees that Trump is not conservative.  Just like during his campaign where he said first one thing and then contradicted himself, all that is Trump can't seem to get its shit together.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Or we can let labor rise to it's natural level, and Americans will do those jobs.

Not in a global economy.   Americans won't work for what folks are paid in third world countries.   

And another point -  Americans seem to have lost the ability or motivation to relocate where the jobs are.   Immigrants, by contrast, are eager to take the "jobs Americans won't."    There's a reason that employers hire immigrants, legal or otherwise.  They work harder and more reliably than too many lazy Americans.   

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
We must not be reading the same posts.  When Trump does something conservative we applaud him for it and when he doesn't we criticize him for it.  Course, y'all get all bent out of shape at the criticism, and that's the part I find amusing and tasty.  Besides that, your resident Trumpgirl RightInVirginia agrees that Trump is not conservative.  Just like during his campaign where he said first one thing and then contradicted himself, all that is Trump can't seem to get its **** together.

We have nuanced views instead of blindly supporting a wanna-be strongman. This is controversial here, apparently.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Not in a global economy.   Americans won't work for what folks are paid in third world countries.   

And another point -  Americans seem to have lost the ability or motivation to relocate where the jobs are.   Immigrants, by contrast, are eager to take the "jobs Americans won't."    There's a reason that employers hire immigrants, legal or otherwise.  They work harder and more reliably than too many lazy Americans.

Yes in a global economy. Subsidizing wages with immigrants masks over economic imbalances. If wages and prices were allowed to rise to their natural state, we'd be forced to confront thos instead of sweeping them under the rug.

And that's why we need a little pain - to get the slacker Americans to start taking education and work seriously again, plus get off welfare, before this goes on and eventually falls under it's own weight.

There are also plenty of hard working Americans - don't be a bigot.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:27:47 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

We must not be reading the same posts.  When Trump does something conservative we applaud him for it and when he doesn't we criticize him for it.  Course, y'all get all bent out of shape at the criticism, and that's the part I find amusing and tasty.  Besides that, your resident Trumpgirl RightInVirginia agrees that Trump is not conservative.  Just like during his campaign where he said first one thing and then contradicted himself, all that is Trump can't seem to get its shit together.

Was referring to the NT's in the blogosphere in general, not the esteemed folks here. Unless of course you self identify as NeverTrump. Then, all bets are off.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
There are also plenty of hard working Americans - don't be a bigot.

LOL!