Author Topic: Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: the Antenna  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Suppressed

Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: the Antenna
Cord-cutters accustomed to watching shows online are often shocked that $20 ‘rabbit ears’ pluck signals from the air. Is this legal?
By Ryan Knutson 5hr ago
http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Millennials-Unearth-an-Amazing-Hack-to-Get-Free-TV--the-Antenna--.r1IR4Qu1DZ.html

Dan Sisco has discovered a technology that allows him to access half a dozen major TV channels, completely free.

“I was just kind of surprised that this is technology that exists,” says Mr. Sisco, 28 years old. “It’s been awesome. It doesn’t log out and it doesn’t skip.”

Let’s hear a round of applause for TV antennas, often called “rabbit ears,” a technology invented roughly seven decades ago, long before there was even a cord to be cut, which had been consigned to the technology trash can along with cassette tapes and VCRs.

The antenna is mounting a quiet comeback, propelled by a generation that never knew life before cable television, and who primarily watch Netflix , Hulu and HBO via the internet. Antenna sales in the U.S. are projected to rise 7% in 2017 to nearly 8 million units, according to the Consumer Technology Association, a trade group.

Mr. Sisco, an M.B.A. student in Provo, Utah, made his discovery after inviting friends over to watch the Super Bowl in 2014. The online stream he found to watch the game didn’t have regular commercials—disappointing half of his guests who were only interested in the ads.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Millennials-Unearth-an-Amazing-Hack-to-Get-Free-TV--the-Antenna--.r1IR4Qu1DZ.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: the Antenna
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:49 am »
snort
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:26:00 am »
I made the mistake of scanning for new channels the other day and I was overwhelmed with stations I never knew existed.

It was much simpler in the pre UHF days.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:34:42 am »
I made the mistake of scanning for new channels the other day and I was overwhelmed with stations I never knew existed.

I ordered a new antenna the other day to see if I could pick up a few channels in another market area or two.  If all goes well I'll be able to watch the Falcons, The Ain'ts, The Bucs, and the Jags on Thurday/Sunday.  They say I might get the Fins....but no one really cars about the fish.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 02:35:30 am »

As part of slowly cutting out cable and going completely online, I finally added a digital antenna to the TV in my office and I was shocked I got 35 OTA channels. Most are crap, church channels and old TV shows- like TV Land with out any of the good stuff, but I have all the major networks, local weather, and PBS. Add to that streaming Amazon, Netflix and Hulu and that pretty much covers more than I would ever watch.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:37:51 am »
As part of slowly cutting out cable and going completely online, I finally added a digital antenna to the TV in my office and I was shocked I got 35 OTA channels. Most are crap, church channels and old TV shows- like TV Land with out any of the good stuff, but I have all the major networks, local weather, and PBS. Add to that streaming Amazon, Netflix and Hulu and that pretty much covers more than I would ever watch.

Tonight I watched the Jags and NE on ME TV  (The signal was out of Dothan AL).  I was shocked!  the NFL on ME TV? 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 02:40:02 am »
Tonight I watched the Jags and NE on ME TV  (The signal was out of Dothan AL).  I was shocked!  the NFL on ME TV?

I'll have to check that out.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:45:48 am »
Probably a local preseason matchup that your local affiliate picked up.

Around here, the hills pretty much ruin any chance at TV reception, which wasn't true with analog TV.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:47 am »

I am seriously down to watching content on Yutube. I'm either on here, working, watching Youtube, or flat screwing off. I mean fishing.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:05:29 am »
I am seriously down to watching content on Yutube. I'm either on here, working, watching Youtube, or flat screwing off. I mean fishing.

Yeah, me too... I started wit Netflix about a month or so ago, and I really don't think I will keep it. Mostly youtube, steemit, and etc, and an occasional movie. I don't miss it at all.

It's almost like an addiction - but once you're off the stuff, you can't imagine what the attraction was in the first place.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 03:07:21 am »

It's almost like an addiction - but once you're off the stuff, you can't imagine what the attraction was in the first place.

There is a small amount of "clicker" withdrawal.  But it passes quickly.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 03:09:33 am »
There is a small amount of "clicker" withdrawal.  But it passes quickly.

Yep... that, and the bounce channel... which suddenly isn't necessary because commercials are no longer there... But it feels weird at first.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 03:11:35 am »
Yep... that, and the bounce channel... which suddenly isn't necessary because commercials are no longer there... But it feels weird at first.

I miss the "Pause" button fuction the most with OTA.   Everything else...nope!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 03:26:45 am »
I miss the "Pause" button fuction the most with OTA.   Everything else...nope!

Heh... I was cable... so one of the things I got was 'pause'... I was still timing my bathroom and fridge runs for the longest time... But I am a veteran now - I just pick up the keyboard and pause whatever I am watching and saunter off any old time I like... Or someone calls and I am stuck on the phone... 'PAUSE'.

Amazing.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 06:42:22 am »
Gee, they never heard the line "I've got 13 channels of **** on the tv to choose from" by Pink Floyd?

Gosh, it doesn't seem that long ago when everyone had rabbit ears and antenna on their houses, then video killed the radio star.

Some days I feel as old as Methuselah :(
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:04 am »
Gee, they never heard the line "I've got 13 channels of **** on the tv to choose from" by Pink Floyd?

Gosh, it doesn't seem that long ago when everyone had rabbit ears and antenna on their houses, then video killed the radio star.

We were talking about that at work yesterday. Video killed the radio star was the first music video they played on MTV.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:16 am »
We were talking about that at work yesterday. Video killed the radio star was the first music video they played on MTV.

Yes I remember that. My freshman year in college. We all thought MTV was cool at the time. Use to watch it a lot.....gosh I was young and stupid, when I was seventeen
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:51:59 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 12:54:12 pm »

They've heard of it, but from what I understand they assumed that when they flipped to digital, all of it went away (which, as I've noted, it pretty much did if you live in the hills).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 03:05:01 pm »
They've heard of it, but from what I understand they assumed that when they flipped to digital, all of it went away (which, as I've noted, it pretty much did if you live in the hills).

Have you tried with an amplified antenna? Just curious.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 09:25:23 pm »
Have you tried with an amplified antenna? Just curious.

You can fer sure get the hot chicks with one of those.