Author Topic: Refineries go to battle with oil majors over ethanol  (Read 1075 times)

Offline thackney

Refineries go to battle with oil majors over ethanol
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:04:41 pm »
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Refineries-press-ethanol-reform-at-EPA-hearing-11723011.php
 August 1, 2017

Independent refineries are making another stab at getting the Trump administration to change the rules on how ethanol is mixed into the nation's fuel supply.

At a hearing before the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington on Tuesday lobbyists from Valero and other merchant refining companies will battle gas station chains and integrated oil companies like Exxon Mobil and Chevron over a renewable fuel mandate that has made some companies rich and put others on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars in so-called RIN credits - short for Renewable Identification Number.

The hearing, part of an annaul review by EPA, comes a week after the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the EPA was limited in its authority to amend the so-called ethanol mandate passed by Congress a decade ago.

That could drive the EPA to raise the mandate on how much ethanol and other biofuels are blended into the fuel supply, a blow to demand for refineries turning out gasoline. But there was a silver lining to the ruling, said Scott Segal, an attorney for Valero. Segal and Carl Icahn, the activist investor close with President Donald Trump, are arguing for shifting responsibility for meeting the standard away from refineries to the marketing companies that buy their gasoline and blend it for sale at gas stations.

"The court told EPA to reach a conclusion addressing the point of obligation," Segal said said in a copy of his testimony released Monday. "Adjusting the point of obligation is relatively easily done and can be accomplished under existing Clean Air Act authority available to the administrator."...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Refineries go to battle with oil majors over ethanol
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:38:04 pm »
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Refineries-press-ethanol-reform-at-EPA-hearing-11723011.php
 August 1, 2017

Independent refineries are making another stab at getting the Trump administration to change the rules on how ethanol is mixed into the nation's fuel supply.

At a hearing before the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington on Tuesday lobbyists from Valero and other merchant refining companies will battle gas station chains and integrated oil companies like Exxon Mobil and Chevron over a renewable fuel mandate that has made some companies rich and put others on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars in so-called RIN credits - short for Renewable Identification Number.

The hearing, part of an annaul review by EPA, comes a week after the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the EPA was limited in its authority to amend the so-called ethanol mandate passed by Congress a decade ago.

That could drive the EPA to raise the mandate on how much ethanol and other biofuels are blended into the fuel supply, a blow to demand for refineries turning out gasoline. But there was a silver lining to the ruling, said Scott Segal, an attorney for Valero. Segal and Carl Icahn, the activist investor close with President Donald Trump, are arguing for shifting responsibility for meeting the standard away from refineries to the marketing companies that buy their gasoline and blend it for sale at gas stations.

"The court told EPA to reach a conclusion addressing the point of obligation," Segal said said in a copy of his testimony released Monday. "Adjusting the point of obligation is relatively easily done and can be accomplished under existing Clean Air Act authority available to the administrator."...

THIS is a perfect illustration of how the big business big government alliance works to drive real and potential competitors off the field!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »
THIS is a perfect illustration of how the big business big government alliance works to drive real and potential competitors off the field!

Just like the RCRA was used by the majors to drive out small specialty refiners like the old Pride refinery in Abilene TX.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:35:48 pm »
Just like the RCRA was used by the majors to drive out small specialty refiners like the old Pride refinery in Abilene TX.

Absolutely!  There are MANY examples!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »
They need to phase out the mandate completely. Give farmers a little time to adjust, but in the end force them to change to market reality.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:05 pm »
They need to phase out the mandate completely. Give farmers a little time to adjust, but in the end force them to change to market reality.

We need to PERMANENTLY end the government's ability to pick winners and losers! Ending the income tax and the IRS would be a damned good start at getting it done!

- J. R. R. Tolkien