Author Topic: Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympics: L.A. Times  (Read 966 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympics: L.A. Times
« on: July 31, 2017, 06:12:19 pm »
#Sports News
July 31, 2017 / 12:06 PM / 27 minutes ago
Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympics: L.A. Times

Rory Carroll

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles will host the 2028 Summer Olympics after reaching a deal with Olympic organizers, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday, citing an unnamed source close to the negotiation.

The agreement paves the way for the 2024 Summer Games to be awarded to Paris. An announcement from the International Olympic Committee was expected later on Monday.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the report.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti's office said he and other proponents of the city's bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games would make an announcement to the news media at 5 p.m. PDT (0000 GMT).

more
http://in.reuters.com/article/olympics-los-angeles-idINKBN1AG236
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Re: Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympics: L.A. Times
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 06:18:48 pm »
It will be the second time Mexico has hosted the Games.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »
In 1984, I watched the Olympic cycling road event, held at Mission Viejo. Rode bikes with my brother, to get there.

For those 1984 Olympics, existing venues were utilized, and those games were judged a huge success. Those existing venues included the Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, etc.

(I wonder how much of a spending boondoggle was proposed, this time?)

Ronald Reagan was President, and had previously been Governor. All that I need to do, is last 11 more years. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:32:08 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:36:00 pm »
In 1984, I watched the Olympic cycling road event, held at Mission Viejo. Rode bikes with my brother, to get there.

For those 1984 Olympics, existing venues were utilized, and those games were judged a huge success. Those existing venues included the Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, etc.

(I wonder how much of a spending boondoggle was proposed, this time?)

Ronald Reagan was President, and had previously been Governor.

All that I need to do, is last 11 more years.
I don't think they'll find anyone equivalent to Ueberroth t pull their olympic chestnuts out of the fire, Garcetti is spend spend spend liberal so I doubt that he'll be able or want to follow the path that Ueberroth blazed for a successful hosting.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:36:31 pm »
You mean they're not going for a third-world craphole like Rio?  Oh, wait...my bad.

No Chitcago again...what a slap in the face of ol' jug ears, huh?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:31 pm »
I don't think they'll find anyone equivalent to Ueberroth t pull their olympic chestnuts out of the fire, Garcetti is spend spend spend liberal so I doubt that he'll be able or want to follow the path that Ueberroth blazed for a successful hosting.

At the time, California had recently passed Prop. 13, and it made sense, for the Olympics to not be a fiscal burden on taxpayers.

The fiscally and financially successful games, proved it possible.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:28:07 pm »
This is probably a good move for the IOC. I suspect they well go well, it seems the major problems occur in venues that have never hosted the event before. IIRC this will be their third in 96 years...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:30 pm »
You mean they're not going for a third-world craphole like Rio?  Oh, wait...my bad.

No Chitcago again...what a slap in the face of ol' jug ears, huh?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:32:48 pm »
I can see big problems for Paris as the officials there try to clean up the city from 'refugees'. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:38 pm »

And at least it was a fair competition since the doped-up Commies boycotted the Games.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:16 pm »
It will be the second time Mexico has hosted the Games.

By 2028 all the gringos will be gone.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 10:22:55 pm »
This is probably a good move for the IOC. I suspect they well go well, it seems the major problems occur in venues that have never hosted the event before. IIRC this will be their third in 96 years...

Correct. No need for massive spending for Olympic quality venues. But they apparently plan about $1/2 billion for coliseum upgrades.

Lots of history in that old Coliseum. I have seen the Rams, Raiders, Dodgers, and in summer 1968 a big track meet to qualify  for the 1968 Mexico City games, including the athletes who held up black gloved fists.

Last visit for me was a aiders game about 1991 before the Rodney King LA riots. Saw TV of new condos near the Coliseum burned, and decided to go nowhere the inner city, period.

I especially wanted to see OC and USC phenom Todd Marinovich play. I had been a Raiders fan when they played in Oakland, since the Rams usually sucked. Former President invited Marinovich to his home, after he starred as a freshman QB.

During the Raiders' LA years, I subscribed to Mgr. Al Davis' philosophy of "Win, Baby Win."

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:32:48 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:57:50 am »
And at least it was a fair competition since the doped-up Commies boycotted the Games.
Yeah, but it cost McD's a bundle and then some with the Americans winning so many more medals that year :thud: