Author Topic: US, allies prepared to use 'overwhelming force' in North Korea, general says  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

US, allies prepared to use 'overwhelming force' in North Korea, general says
Fox News, Jul 30, 2017

The U.S. and its allies are prepared to use “rapid, lethal and overwhelming force,” if necessary, against North Korea, the commander of the U.S. Pacific Air Forces warned Saturday night.

The statement from Gen. Terrence J. O’Shaughnessy, U.S. Pacific Air Forces commander, came after the militaries of the U.S., South Korea and Japan spent 10 hours conducting bomber-jet drills over the Korean Peninsula.

The training mission was a response to North Korea’s recent ballistic missile launches and nuclear program, and part of the U.S. regular commitment to defending its allies in the Asia-Pacific region, the general’s statement said.

“North Korea remains the most urgent threat to regional stability,” O’Shaughnessy said.

“Diplomacy remains the lead,” he said. “However, we have a responsibility to our allies and our nation to showcase our unwavering commitment while planning for the worst-case scenario.

“If called upon,” he added, “we are ready to respond with rapid, lethal and overwhelming force at a time and place of our choosing.”

(Much) More:  http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/30/us-allies-ready-to-use-overwhelming-force-in-north-korea-general-says.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That may be where we are after the last 8-24 years of doing nothing and appeasing.

Wingnut

US, allies prepared to use 'overwhelming force' in North Korea, general says...

:whistle: 

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Duct tape Jimmuh and Slick to the first missile we fire into that hell-hole.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline endicom

A Michigan missile:

Offline dfwgator

And Maddie Albright.

Oceander

Every last computer system in NK should be hacked into uselessness right now. 

Offline dfwgator

Every last computer system in NK should be hacked into uselessness right now.

Both of them?

Oceander

Both of them?

It's no laughing matter.  Although it might be better to backdoor them but keep them running so they can be used to spread disorder if NK tries conventional attacks on SK. 

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
It's no laughing matter.  Although it might be better to backdoor them but keep them running so they can be used to spread disorder if NK tries conventional attacks on SK.

PREVENT NK attack on SK:
Begin the operation by locating all the artillery pieces
within striking distance of Seoul.
Carpet bomb that entire region with fuel-air bombs.
Hit any surviving installations with 2000 lb bombs.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline Suppressed

PREVENT NK attack on SK:
Begin the operation by locating all the artillery pieces
within striking distance of Seoul.
Carpet bomb that entire region with fuel-air bombs.
Hit any surviving installations with 2000 lb bombs.

Many are HARTs, @unite for individuality.  They've had decades to prepare.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline The_Reader_David

A Michigan missile:

I know where that is . . . before they got jobs in the UK my daughter and son-in-law lived in Ypsilanti.  Nice town.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline The_Reader_David

Many are HARTs, @unite for individuality.  They've had decades to prepare.

That is precisely why he was advocating fuel-air weapons, though I think we've had decades to prepare, intelligence-wise, and redundant targeted strikes with bunker-busters and fuel-air weapons would be better than carpet bombing anything.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Suppressed

That is precisely why he was advocating fuel-air weapons, though I think we've had decades to prepare, intelligence-wise, and redundant targeted strikes with bunker-busters and fuel-air weapons would be better than carpet bombing anything.

I believe the ability to target so many sites, and the effectiveness of the strikes, is greatly overestimated.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

Also do not forget an aircraft-dropped nuke attack on Seoul.  NK can do a lot of damage to SK very easily.  And since it would take weeks to get sufficient US forces in-theater in order to carry out the suggested strikes, the NK would have a lot of warning that a decapitating strike from the US was coming; more than enough time to preemptively start an invasion of SK. 

Wingnut

Also do not forget an aircraft-dropped nuke attack on Seoul.  NK can do a lot of damage to SK very easily.  And since it would take weeks to get sufficient US forces in-theater in order to carry out the suggested strikes, the NK would have a lot of warning that a decapitating strike from the US was coming; more than enough time to preemptively start an invasion of SK.

Don't need foot forces while you are softening them up with a relentless barrage of smart and dumb bombs and the occasional tactical nuke sent care of  the lil fat un.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It would be a bad war indeed.

Oceander

Don't need foot forces while you are softening them up with a relentless barrage of smart and dumb bombs and the occasional tactical nuke sent care of  the lil fat un.

Not soldiers, the civilians who live in Seoul.  Seoul is very close to the border and NK will almost certainly use them as pawns to avoid an attack. 

Wingnut

It would be a bad war indeed.

I/m waiting for a really good war myself.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Just start withdrawing troops from South Korea, and moving air and naval assets to the Pacific.  Don't explain the troop movements, but reiterate the security guarantee to South Korea.  Someone will eventually figure out that removing U.S. troops from South Korea is intended to remove ROK from any U.S./NORK conflict so we don't have to worry about Seoul getting pounded if we attack.

As our air and naval forces in the region increase, and our troop strength in ROK decreases, both the Chinese and North Koreans will start getting really nervous.  The speculation will be that when all our troops are out, we will strike North Korean nuclear and long-range missile facilities.  We shouldn't deny that, but state only that if we do decide to take any action, it will only involve U.S. military forces and not those of our allies.  Let that fester for a bit and see if the Chinese decide to get serious and pull North Korea's horns.

If not, then when we bomb them, there's a pretty good chance we can keep the ROK's out of it. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Maj. Bill wrote:
"If not, then when we bomb them, there's a pretty good chance we can keep the ROK's out of it."

That's an interesting proposition, but I don't believe it will make any difference.
The NORKs will hit South Korea anyway, well.... just because they can.

It will provide a Hobson's choice to the U.S.
Do we help the South Koreans at that point?
Or... let them be? And be devastated?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Maj. Bill wrote:
"If not, then when we bomb them, there's a pretty good chance we can keep the ROK's out of it."

That's an interesting proposition, but I don't believe it will make any difference.
The NORKs will hit South Korea anyway, well.... just because they can.

Perhaps they would, perhaps not/ But at least one of the goals is to make a military threat seem more credible.  So to that point, whether North Korea actually attacks South Korea is less relevant than whether it appears we believe they might not if our troops have been withdrawn.  The point is to make PRC and NORK both believe that the orange nut in the White House is really going to strike.

And I'm not sure the NORKS would strike if we withdrew our troops.  A limited U.S. strike that just focused on ballistic missile or nuke strikes is not the same as a general war.  If the Norks were to respond to a limited attack by launching a full bombardment of Seoul, then they'd know that is essentially signing their own death warrant.

There is also a third possible outcome that may actually be the most likely.  The NORKs have complained forever about the presence of U.S. troops in South Korea, claiming that it is a provocation, etc..  If we were to withdraw our troops, the NORK's might be content with claiming they have finally won their great victory and defeated the imperialists, and therefore would agree to Chinese requests that they end their nuke/ballistic missile programs.

If the result of all this is that there are no more U.S. troops in South Korea, and the NORKs no longer have a nuke or ballistic missile program, I'd say that is a huge win.

In terms of the Hobson's choice, we absolutely help defend South Korea, and make that very clear at the time we are removing troops as well.  The reality is that our ground troops are largely a tripwire anyway -- the ROK ground forces are very good.  Where we could help the most is with air and naval assets that can be brought to bear quickly even if ground troops have been withdrawn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:30:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline jpsb

If you want to quickly take out the over 10,000 artillery pieces hidden in mountain caves and underground bunkers you'd better go nuke. Three of four volleys from those will do a lot of damage to Soul. Continuous fire for a couple of days would reduce Soul to dust and kill millions.

And then there is China and Russia backing NK. But that another (HUGE) problem.

Thanks Rats and state media for preventing Trump from improving relations with Russia. What could possibly go wrong with that.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Trying to degrade the NORK's enough so that they can't effectively bombard Seoul is impossible.  Far too many tubes, dug-in, and very likely protected by enough anti-air assets that we'd suffer a catastrophic loss of aircraft if we tried.  Consider that with far more planes, against an enemy with much less artillery and on ground much more conducive to precision bombing, we kept up the air attack in the Gulf War for more than a month to try to degrade the smaller Iraqi Army.  The NORK's wouldn't keep their tubes quiet for a month -- they'd start bombarding as soon as they were targeted.  And you can't use nukes on those artillery emplacements because of (among many other reasons) the proximity of Seoul itself.

So that means either Seoul is evacuated, or we take non-military measures to lessen the likelihood that the NORK's bombard Seoul.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:22:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline jpsb

I did not recommend using nukes, I just said that if you want to take out the artillery quickly there only one way. Nukes.