Author Topic: Oral History -The Sinking of USS Indianapolis  (Read 550 times)

rangerrebew

Oral History -The Sinking of USS Indianapolis
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:12:32 am »

Oral History -The Sinking of USS Indianapolis

[Source: Haynes, Lewis L. "Survivor of the Indianapolis." Navy Medicine 86, no.4 (Jul.-Aug. 1995): 13-17.]

Delivering the [Atomic] Bomb

After our repairs were completed, we were supposed to go on our post-repair trial run. But instead, on July 15th, we were ordered to go to San Francisco to take on some cargo. I was amazed to notice that there was a quiet, almost dead Navy Yard. We tied up at the dock there and two big trucks came alongside. The big crate on one truck was put in the port hanger. The other truck had a bunch of men aboard, including two Army officers, CAPT [James F.] Nolan and MAJ [Robert R.] Furman. I found out later that Nolan was a medical officer. I don't know what his job was, probably to monitor radiation. The two men carried a canister, about 3 feet by 4 feet tall, up to ADM Spruance's cabin where they welded it to the deck. Later on, I found out that this held the nuclear ingredients for the bomb and the large box in the hanger contained the device for firing the bomb. And I had that thing welded to the deck above me for 10 days!

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/oral-histories/wwii/uss-indianapolis.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:13:24 am by rangerrebew »