Author Topic: Scorecard: Where Gov. Abbott's special session agenda stands  (Read 1192 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dallas News by John Savage 7/28/2017

AUSTIN — The Senate and its president, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, have been working at top speed to pass the 20 items on Gov. Greg Abbott's agenda for the special legislative session.

The chamber approved 18 bills in just the first week by working late into the nights and through the weekend. Much of the agenda Abbott laid out in June aligns with conservative proposals Patrick pushed during the regular session.

The House, on the other hand, is moving at a slower pace, a strategy House Speaker Joe Straus has called "deliberate."

We've compiled a scorecard of how the items are faring in the House and the Senate, but first, here's a refresher on how a bill becomes law in Texas.

After a lawmaker in the 31-member Senate or 150-member House files a bill, it's assigned to a committee. The committee needs to pass it to send the bill to the full chamber where it originated — the House or the Senate, which will vote on it. During this process, lawmakers can add amendments to the legislation.

If a bill makes it through both chambers, representatives from each body meet to resolve any differences between House and Senate versions of the bill. If they can agree, the measure heads to the governor, who can veto it or sign it into law.

With the clock ticking  — only 20 days to go in the special session — here's a list of each of Abbott's 20 agenda items and where they are in the legislative process, with links to previous stories on the issues. Keep an eye on this story for updates, and follow our legislative coverage site, The 85th.

More: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2017/07/28/scorecard-gov-abbotts-special-session-agenda-stands

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Scorecard: Where Gov. Abbott's special session agenda stands
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »
Analysis: Hopes of going 20 for 20 in special session circle the drain

In his first special session as governor of Texas, Greg Abbott is watching his hopes for 20 wins on 20 agenda items fall victim to the same legislative discord that marred the regular session earlier this year.

by Ross Ramsey Aug. 7, 2017 The Texas Tribune

Think Gov. Greg Abbott is still glad he called them back?

The Texas Legislature’s special “20 for 20” session has predictably bogged down. Abbott put together a to-do list tailored to please Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s Senate and, conveniently, to erase any argument that he’s not as conservative as Patrick.

By that scorecard, the governor is going to be fine. If, however, you are the person in your office pool who bet that all 20 items on Abbott’s agenda would find their way into the law books, your cookie has crumbled.

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/07/analysis-hopes-going-20-20-special-session-circle-drain/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:58:45 pm »
And you can attribute it all to our illustrious Speaker of the House Joe Straus!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:44 pm »
And you can attribute it all to our illustrious Speaker of the House Joe Straus!

How he survives as Speaker is a mystery to me.   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:07:25 am »
How he survives as Speaker is a mystery to me.   **nononono*

He survives because many of those with Rs behind their names in that body have that R there as a matter of convenience only.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien