Author Topic: I’m a conservative – and I now see voting Republican is a waste of time  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

No, 5-7 Senators did that. Period. If conservatives want better results, they must be careful to focus on reality, not just run their mouths with inane rhetoric.

There are 52 GOP Senators, and 45 did what you wanted and expected.

This thread is proof of my position, that some (many?) conservatives are math and logic challenged.

Focusing on "reality" took us to where we're at today. Those 5-7 were out front in their reelection campaigns, boasting how they "fought" the excesses of Obamacare. When the opportunity arose to repeal it, they broke their pledge...that's the "reality" as I see it.

One molecule of fecal matter is enough to contaminate the liquid in a punchbowl...that's reality, too.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
No, 5-7 Senators did that. Period. If conservatives want better results, they must be careful to focus on reality, not just run their mouths with inane rhetoric.

There are 52 GOP Senators, and 45 did what you wanted and expected.

This thread is proof of my position, that some (many?) conservatives are math and logic challenged.

So how will you justify their failure to even abide by their own rules at their most recent convention?   A party that will not abide by it's own rules and let the chips fall whereever the fall is pretty damned useless it seems to me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So how will you justify their failure to even abide by their own rules at their most recent convention?   A party that will not abide by it's own rules and let the chips fall whereever the fall is pretty damned useless it seems to me!

That needed repeating in BOLD.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline aligncare

It's like a broken record in here —it's a binary choice! No! if you continue voting strategically for the lesser evil you only succeed in feeding the feckless GOP, those alligators in the swamp. Taste great/less filling.

The argument is so tiresome with no foreseeable resolution. Except to accept that people of good faith differ. Binar vision.

Offline RoosGirl

Except to accept that people of good faith differ.

Aren't we horrible at taking our own advice sometimes?  You may remember what you've written when some of don't agree with the "glorious" administration.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The argument is so tiresome with no foreseeable resolution. Except to accept that people of good faith differ. Binar vision.
There are states where you have the option either to a write-in candidate or to vote "none of the above/none of these
candidates." And I'm pretty sure a lot of voters other than me exercised whichever option they had. I had "none of
these candidates" as the option in my state and I exercised it without regret or remorse. When presented nothing
but a choice between two arsonists to fight the fire consuming the national house, and with third-party candidates
who had nothing substantial to offer, I could not cast any other vote without wanting to throw up.

People of good faith can and do differ. If only there were more who gave that more than lip (or keyboard)
service.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Silver Pines

Seven GOP senators lied, forty-five voted to repeal. Zero Democrats in the Senate voted to repeal. While I did not look into the details the GOP House passed a repeal bill.

@jpsb

I read something the other day that was the simple truth: Democrats are the progressives who take office and ruthlessly enact their agenda.  Republicans are the progressives who placehold for the Democrats until they can retake power.

https://news.vice.com/story/powerful-republicans-oppose-trumps-trans-military-ban

Don't waste your time selling them to me.