Author Topic: Hamburg Attack Puts Merkel Refugee Policy Back in Spotlight  (Read 570 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Hamburg Attack Puts Merkel Refugee Policy Back in Spotlight

By Alessandro Speciale and Chad Thomas ||  ‎July‎ ‎29‎, ‎2017‎ ‎7‎:‎15‎ ‎AM‎ ‎PDT

--Supermarket stabber was known as Islamist to authorities
--Chancellor seeking fourth term widened lead over opponents

An attack in the northern city of Hamburg thrust Chancellor Angela Merkel’s refugee policy into the spotlight less than two months before Germany goes to the polls.

Police were aware that the man suspected of a stabbing spree on Friday had shown of signs Islamic radicalization, Hamburg’s interior minister, Andy Grote, said in a press conference on Saturday. The attack in a supermarket in the Barmbek district left one man dead and six injured before bystanders overpowered the attacker.

Police cordon off the area of the attack in Hamburg on Jul. 28.Photographer: Markus Scholz/AFP via Getty Images
The 26-year-old suspect is a Palestinian citizen whose request for refugee status had been declined. He had been ordered out of the country but lacked the necessary documents to travel, Grote said, adding that a few hours before the attack the man had inquired whether his documents were ready. The suspect, who had shown signs of mental instability, is now in police custody.

“I grieve for the victim of the cruel attack in Hamburg, and I am deeply sympathetic to his relatives. I wish the wounded to recover from their physical and mental wounds,” Merkel said in a statement on Saturday afternoon. “The act of violence must and will be clarified.”

snip

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-29/hamburg-mayor-calls-for-swifter-deportations-following-attack
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jpsb

Re: Hamburg Attack Puts Merkel Refugee Policy Back in Spotlight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:45:28 pm »
Merkel putting ordinary Germans at risk while she is perfectly safe in her gated community and with her armed guards. I hope ordinary Germans throw her out of office, but most likely like the p***ies in France, the Germans will vote for continued status quo.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:52:48 pm »
Here's the latest polling information I could find ... and it's shocking.  Simply shocking---and inexplicable.  It will be "interesting", to say the least, where the poll numbers stand at the end of July.

Who will win the German election 2017? Latest polls as Angela Merkel battles Martin Schulz
UK Daily Express, Jul 3, 2017

The German Chancellor currently look set to storm to victory in the German election in September 2017 after managing to widen her lead over Martin Schulz in recent months.

The so-called ‘Schulz effect’ boosted the hopes of the Social Democrats (SPD) straight after the former European Parliament President revealed that he would take on Mrs Merkel.

Thanks to Mr Schulz, the SPD managed to almost close the gap with Mrs Merkels’ conservative bloc - her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and its Christian Social Union (CSU) sister party.

The SPD had 31 per cent support, just one point behind the CDU/CSU at 32 per cent, in the ‘Deutschland Trend’ poll by ARD from early March 2017.

But the CDU/CSU now have now won back a staggering 15-point lead with 39 per cent support, compared to just 24 per cent for the SNP, according to the same poll in mid-June.

Meanwhile the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfP) are trailing a long way behind the main parties at eight per cent, down from 15 per cent in January 2017. 

More:  http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/824007/German-election-2017-who-will-win-latest-polls-Angela-Merkel-Martin-Schulz-Germany

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:53:56 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:25:23 pm »
Here's the latest polling information I could find ... and it's shocking.  Simply shocking---and inexplicable. 

Yes, it was amazing how well the SPD was looking. Fortunately,  it looks like Merkel can hold on.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »
Germany began bringing guest workers in the mid 1950s. First Italy, but by 1961 included Turkey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastarbeiter
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:43:29 pm »
Germany began bringing guest workers in the mid 1950s. First Italy, but by 1961 included Turkey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastarbeiter

And it has been a huge success for them, driving their economy to the forefront of Europe after they put it into place.

The problem is, they expected this wave to be like the Turks.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn