Author Topic: Transgender Surgeries Would Cost Pentagon $1.3 Billion  (Read 1268 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Transgender Surgeries Would Cost Pentagon $1.3 Billion
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:58:14 pm »

Transgender Surgeries Would Cost Pentagon $1.3 Billion
Sex-change surgeries cost an average $132,000 each

BY: Elizabeth Harrington   
July 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Taxpayer-funded sex-change surgeries would cost the Pentagon $1.3 billion over 10 years.

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that transgender individuals will not be eligible to serve in the military, with the White House citing cost and military readiness concerns.

Internal data provided to the Washington Free Beacon from Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R., Mo.), a leading opponent of taxpayer-funded sex changes, show that even by using a conservative estimate, the costs associated with 0.7 percent of the military population is great.

more
http://freebeacon.com/issues/transgender-surgeries-would-cost-pentagon-1-3-billion/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Transgender Surgeries Would Cost Pentagon $1.3 Billion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:03:07 pm »
So allow transgenders to serve, but just don't cover sex change surgeries under the Armed Forces' health plan.   Treat it like any cosmetic surgery - get it, but pay for it from your own pocket.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:55 pm »
So allow transgenders to serve, but just don't cover sex change surgeries under the Armed Forces' health plan.   Treat it like any cosmetic surgery - get it, but pay for it from your own pocket.   

Howabout no.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:09:10 pm »
I have a hard time believing the average cost per surgery is just $132k.  Besides that is the ongoing, long term cost of hormones, down time, etc.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:13:04 pm »

*****rollingeyes*****

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:08 pm »

Howabout no.

*****rollingeyes*****

The boy just don't get it does he.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:33:54 pm »

LOL.  You win the understatement of the year award!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 12:12:37 pm »

Yeah, I get it.   This is a dog whistle issue for both social conservatives and identity-politics liberals.   I despise both groups,  so I don't give a damn about this issue.   

The topic thread is the cost to taxpayers of sex change surgeries,  so I modestly suggested letting transgenders serve but make them pay for the cost of their own cosmetic surgery.    There, problem solved.

Yeah, I get it.   This is a stupid fight over a non-existent problem.  Cross-dressers have been around for years.   They harm no one.   I could care less what bathroom they use, or whether they can serve in the military.   Identity politics liberals love to fight with social conservatives.    Crap issues like this are like oxygen to them.   Identity libs get to virtue-signal that they oppose "bigotry", and SoCons get to virtue-signal that they oppose "perversion".  It's all so stupid and meaningless in the real world - who the F cares about a handful of cross-dressers?   

Here's the real issue.   Donald Trump is now enacting policy by means of tweets.  None of his generals even knew about the change in "policy".   They're busy dealing with important stuff, like the nuke threat in North Korea or the maelstrom in the Middle East.   Now they have to stop what they're doing and react to Trump's tweets over a stupid dog whistle issue.     

In the words of this morning's WSJ:

Issuing a major Pentagon policy change, via Twitter, before anything resembling the details of that policy exists, as happened with the initial travel ban, is awful management.   It diverts and wastes the valuable time of the Administration's highest officials.   It creates (another) political storm and inevitable lawsuits that one has had time to to prepare for.  Mr. Trump keeps driving policy like he's the only person in government - and if he keeps it up, he might be.

The WSJ's right - Trump is an awful manager.   Forget all that supposed private sector experience - he's out of control,  a creator of chaos, and his victims are increasingly the few brave souls willing to stick their necks out and work for him.   WHY WOULD ANYONE OF COMPETENCE AND INTEGRITY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANT TO GIVE UP WHAT THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR THIS MAN?

My contacts in Washington all agree -  Trump's administration is increasingly dysfunctional,  and it's all because of the man at the top.   He's hired some good people,  but how many will stick around do deal with his shit, day after day after day?

The emperor has no clothes folks.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:15:25 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »
I have a hard time believing the average cost per surgery is just $132k.  Besides that is the ongoing, long term cost of hormones, down time, etc.

Do they do it all in one surgery?

It's just a thought about why the cost seems so "low", I REALLY don't want to know any of the details.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:04 pm »

Cosmetic surgery?   Like a nose job?  Perhaps a tummy tuck?   Boob job?   How does cosmetic surgery address a genetic factor?

What about all the therapy that goes along with these issues?   The down time?  Should the military just eat that time?   What about the impact to the unit?

There are a lot of REAL health conditions that disqualify people from military service.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 01:35:59 pm »
No, it wouldn't cost the Pentagon.  It would cost us taxpayers.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »
No, it wouldn't cost the Pentagon.  It would cost us taxpayers.

Expensive surgery, of any type, costs either taxpayers generally or those subset of taxpayers who purchase insurance policies.   

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »
There is no such thing as a "transgendered" person damnit!

A person's sex is determined by X & Y Chromosomes. Mutilating the body, taking hormones, and pretending do not change a person's DNA.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 01:56:21 pm »
Expensive surgery, of any type, costs either taxpayers generally or those subset of taxpayers who purchase insurance policies.   

With that type of bizarre logic, me having warranty work done on a new Chevy is a burden on the taxpayers because I and other folks who bought new Chevy's happen to pay taxes?

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »

You cannot so blithely equate those two groups of people.  The first must pay involuntarily via taxes; the second voluntarily pays inasmuch as they choose whether to buy a policy or not.  That most people will buy policies does not change the essentially voluntary nature of the second group. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 06:07:54 pm »

@Jazzhead

If the military treated it like any other cosmetic surgery, it wouldn't be allowed to happen. 

The military has never permitted service members to undergo voluntary elective surgery that removes them from duty.  Heck, you can get court-martialed/disciplined for getting a bad sunburn that makes you unable to perform your normal job duties.  If a female service member gets elective breast implants on her own dime, she has to schedule during a leave period and be fully recovered by the time she returns.  Sex change surgery is far more invasive, complicated, and results in much greater limitations for full duty for a much longer period of time.    The period of incapacitation due to such surgery is incompatible with the demands of service, and always has been.  And that's leaving aside all the costs of follow-up, monitoring, HRT, and post-surgery or HRT complications, all of which also can affect an individual's ability to do their job.

Doing so also would require the military medical system to train doctors on gender reassignment surgery and HRT, the complications therefrom, etc.  And because transgendered service members could be deployed anywhere in the world, you couldn't just have a centralized cadre of doctors experienced in transgenderism for which they could go for treatment/monitoring.  Each Battalion Surgeon, etc., would have to be trained in it.

Military leaders already spend far too much of their time worrying about things that have nothing to do with the core mission of warfighting.  Transgenderism means yet more "HR" type training, development of new rules for how transgender soldiers should be treated, constant issues with berthing/sleeping/restroom usage, military uniform standards, fitness standards, etc..   

It is a time-wasting headache that offers no corresponding benefit to the military.  None.

This is a stupid fight over a non-existent problem.  Cross-dressers have been around for years.   They harm no one.   I could care less what bathroom they use, or whether they can serve in the military.

That's because you're not the one responsible for organizing and leading troops.  And confusing transgenderism with cross-dressing.....

A fair number of us voted for Trump in part because we were becoming concerned that social engineering was being given precedence over warfighting in the military.  Mattis actually complained about exactly that in a memo he distributed the day before Trump's announcement.   I'll simply say that the military is being nitpicked to death by these kind of things, and it has to stop.

Doing it by tweet was dumb, but that's far less important than the fact that he did it at all.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:44:51 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 07:58:59 pm »
Yeah, I get it.   This is a dog whistle issue for both social conservatives and identity-politics liberals.   I despise both groups,  so I don't give a damn about this issue.   

The topic thread is the cost to taxpayers of sex change surgeries,  so I modestly suggested letting transgenders serve but make them pay for the cost of their own cosmetic surgery.    There, problem solved.

Yeah, I get it.   This is a stupid fight over a non-existent problem.  Cross-dressers have been around for years.   They harm no one.   I could care less what bathroom they use, or whether they can serve in the military.   Identity politics liberals love to fight with social conservatives.    Crap issues like this are like oxygen to them.   Identity libs get to virtue-signal that they oppose "bigotry", and SoCons get to virtue-signal that they oppose "perversion".  It's all so stupid and meaningless in the real world - who the F cares about a handful of cross-dressers?   

Here's the real issue.   Donald Trump is now enacting policy by means of tweets.  None of his generals even knew about the change in "policy".   They're busy dealing with important stuff, like the nuke threat in North Korea or the maelstrom in the Middle East.   Now they have to stop what they're doing and react to Trump's tweets over a stupid dog whistle issue.     

In the words of this morning's WSJ:

The WSJ's right - Trump is an awful manager.   Forget all that supposed private sector experience - he's out of control,  a creator of chaos, and his victims are increasingly the few brave souls willing to stick their necks out and work for him.   WHY WOULD ANYONE OF COMPETENCE AND INTEGRITY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WANT TO GIVE UP WHAT THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR THIS MAN?

My contacts in Washington all agree -  Trump's administration is increasingly dysfunctional,  and it's all because of the man at the top.   He's hired some good people,  but how many will stick around do deal with his shit, day after day after day?

The emperor has no clothes folks.

Oohhh...  it's the pragmatic approach to transgender in the military!  I get it now!

No.