Author Topic: Luckenbach, Population 0: How struggling town was bought by three friends for $30,000 in 1970 and became a music venue that attracts tourists from across the globe even though no one lives there  (Read 2229 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Luckenbach, Population 0: How struggling town was bought by three friends for $30,000 in 1970 and became a music venue that attracts tourists from across the globe even though no one lives there

Luckenbach, Texas, was first established as a trading post by German immigrants in 1849, making it one of the oldest settlements in Gillespie County
    At one time Luckenbach’s growing population supported a post office, school, dance hall, general store, blacksmith shop and steam-powered cotton gin
    When the county improved the roads, most of the farmers around Luckenbach began shopping in nearby Fredericksburg, leaving the tiny town to wither away
    This Texas Hill Country town was purchased in 1970 by Hondo Crouch, Guich Kook and Kathy Morgan because they wanted the dance hall to stay open later     
    It achieved legendary proportions in 1977 when Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson released the hit song Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)

By Jordan Gass-Poore for Dailymail.com

Published: 09:59 EDT, 27 July 2017 | Updated: 15:44 EDT, 27 July 2017

As the unofficial town motto goes, 'Everybody's somebody' in Luckenbach. But in this tiny Texas Hill Country town there isn’t anybody. At least not full time. Despite the ‘Population 3’ sign, Luckenbach is actually population zero and is more of a near deserted cul-de-sac with a few disused buildings than an obvious tourist destination.

The general store and dance hall in a clearing among the trees hint at a more prosperous past. It takes about five minutes to fully explore the entirety of the town – 10 minutes if you stop to get acquainted with Doc, Miss Kitty and Smokey, the stray cats that roam the grounds.

Settled as a trading post in 1849 by a family of German immigrants to serve nearby farmers and establish trade with the Comanche tribe, the town’s population peaked at 492 in 1904 when it supported a post office, school dance hall, general store, and a blacksmith shop. But by 1964 the school closed because there weren’t enough children to justify keeping it open and those who lived near the town were sent the 13 miles to Fredericksburg for their education. With the improvement of rural roads in Gillespie County, most of the farmers around Luckenbach began shopping in Fredericksburg too, leaving the tiny town to wither away.

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4736080/Tiny-Texas-town-attracts-tourists-world.html#ixzz4o49jUkRp
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rodamala

Offline Night Hides Not

It is a cool place.

Yes it is!

I love the Hill Country, Fredericksburg and Gruene are two of my favorite spots. Plenty of shops for my wife to browse through, and excellent wine bars for me to drink at.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
LOLWHUT!?!?!

Yeah, yeah.  We do lots of wine in Texas.  But, there's also lots of very nice breweries.  With good beer.

Offline roamer_1

Yeah, yeah.  We do lots of wine in Texas.  But, there's also lots of very nice breweries.  With good beer.

Sorry, I've just never heard of such a thing... I guess bars keep some wine and coolers around for the ladies... and can make fancy lady drinks... but bars are for liquor (generally whiskey and bourbon), and beer...

Will wonders never cease.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Sorry, I've just never heard of such a thing... I guess bars keep some wine and coolers around for the ladies... and can make fancy lady drinks... but bars are for liquor (generally whiskey and bourbon), and beer...

Will wonders never cease.

Oh, we have liquor too.   :laugh:

Wingnut

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:50:54 am by Wingnut »

Offline LadyLiberty