Author Topic: More Citizens Must Qualify to Be Warriors  (Read 339 times)

rangerrebew

More Citizens Must Qualify to Be Warriors
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:51:57 am »
More Citizens Must Qualify to Be Warriors
By James Hogg
July 26, 2017

The most critical path to our future is the Warrior, who is more important than everything else in our readiness to fight and win.

The All-Volunteer force, introduced in the 1970s, has provided the smartest, most capable, and most highly motivated fighting force in the history of mankind. It is the same across all our military services.

http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/07/26/more_citizens_must_qualify_to_be_warriors_111895.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:52:19 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: More Citizens Must Qualify to Be Warriors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 12:08:32 am »
This is why we used to have something called "the draft"...

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 01:06:47 am »
To be honest I'm of 2 minds when it comes to the draft and maybe that's because I was in when they made the change. I volunteered during the draft.

Looking back most guys that had been drafted were usually tougher mentally in my experience, maybe it was because they didn't want to be there. There were few that filled up the hooch with the sweet wiff of the poppy that were drafted but for the most part you could dig a hole and let the chips fall where they may.

The guys volunteering, again in my experience and during that time, were mentally and physically much more prepared for the military than the typical draftee but most joined for the benefits and never believed after Nam they would ever actually encounter a combat situation given the tenor of the country.

I think on the whole an all volunteer force has been a success. However, unless we are going to open up the services to immigrants there are simply not enough young people to fill the need.

However onerous the draft needs to be reinstated in my opinion....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:08:36 am by montanajoe »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 01:20:40 am »
joe wrote:
"However, unless we are going to open up the services to immigrants there are simply not enough young people to fill the need."

I disagree.
There are PLENTY of young Americans capable of "filling the need".
The problem is that they don't want to fill it.

By the way, I was one of those draftees in the [late] Vietnam era.
I was actually drafted TWICE!  (that's the truth)

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:42:03 am »
joe wrote:
"However, unless we are going to open up the services to immigrants there are simply not enough young people to fill the need."

I disagree.
There are PLENTY of young Americans capable of "filling the need".
The problem is that they don't want to fill it

By the way, I was one of those draftees in the [late] Vietnam era.
I was actually drafted TWICE!  (that's the truth)

You are correct there are plenty and plenty that won't voluntarily serve. Again, in my view we need the draft.

However, this time around I'd like to see a straight lottery of all men in the 18-30 age group, if your number comes uo you serve, if your physically unable to meet the demands of the military you do some type of public service, No exceptions and no deferrments
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:42:59 am by montanajoe »