Author Topic: Traces of weed killer were found in Ben & Jerry's ice cream  (Read 1779 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

circa
By Alix Hines
3 Hours Ago

Ben & Jerry's, which has marketed itself as a non-GMO company for years, is now under fire after its ice cream tested positive for a chemical used to kill weeds.

The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) found that 10 out of 11 samples tested positive for glyphosate, the key ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide.

Lab testing found traces of glyphosate in the following flavors: Peanut Butter Cup, Peanut Butter Cookie, Vanilla (2 samples), Cherry Garcia, Phish Food, The Tonight Dough, Half Baked, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Americone Dream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Cherry Garcia was the only flavor that tested negative for the chemical.

(more)
https://www.circa.com/story/2017/07/26/nation/ben-jerrys-ice-cream-traces-of-weed-killer-found
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Traces of weed killer were found in Ben & Jerry's ice cream
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »
Hate to say it but it's everywhere now just like alot of chemicals, air, ground, and water. I'm betting most of our food supply has it present, even the organic stuff.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:18:32 pm »
:bigsilly:

So, they avoid what won't kill you but secretly sell might hurt you. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:51 pm »
Traces of killer weed were found in another flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream...

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »
Traces of killer weed were found in another flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream...

:thumbsup:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:53:27 pm »
I'm using Triclopyr triethylamine based "Brush Killer Plus" around the yard to destroy poison ivy, wild grapes, box elder and a few other things. Its made by the Bayer corporation.

Everything I've read shows it to be a very effective if slow killer and relatively safe to use. In the event of exposure or ingestion it reaches peak levels in the bloodstream within 2 hours and falls to undetectable levels within 48 hours.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:59:07 pm »
The hippies are losing their minds over this. B&J claims that the source is 'outside their food supply chain', whatever that means.

Irony is a cruel mistress.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:03:56 pm »
The hippies are losing their minds over this. B&J claims that the source is 'outside their food supply chain', whatever that means.

They'd better get used to it. Glyphosate is completely embedded in the environment now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 06:11:29 pm »

According to another article they think it may be due to use of the chemical for feed which is then given to the cows which make their milk.    It could also be contamination from the production equipment that may be used for other products.

Personally I think they've just been lying to everyone.  They are liberals after all.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:21 pm »
Cherry Garcia was the only flavor that tested negative for the chemical.

Too much weed to overcome.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »
Personally I think they've just been lying to everyone.  They are liberals after all.

It is possible. As environmentally 'Kosher' as they claim to be, one would think they would test samples of received food stocks for just this sort of contamination.

At the least, this exposes that they were not testing their own products before selling them. This is catastrophic for them. If the weed killer is in there, then what else could be in the ice cream that they do not yet know about, or are not admitting?

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »
Man the freshness and natural nazilibs are not going to like this at all.  Not one tiny bit.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:37:48 pm »

Too much weed to overcome.
I expect B and J to come out with their pot-flavored ice cream in the near future. They'll call it Grass Cream.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »
 My brain skimmed passed the word "killer," and saw "traces of weed found."....

And thought, " Yeah, so?  Who's suprised by that?"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:51:24 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »

+1
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 08:04:11 pm »

It is possible. As environmentally 'Kosher' as they claim to be, one would think they would test samples of received food stocks for just this sort of contamination.

At the least, this exposes that they were not testing their own products before selling them. This is catastrophic for them. If the weed killer is in there, then what else could be in the ice cream that they do not yet know about, or are not admitting?

@240B
Or whats in there thats not readily detectable.   Are organic almonds necessarily detectable from non-organic?    Even if B&J think they are buying organic their supplier might be switching things out.

But you're right, nobody likes to think about weed killer in their ice cream.   I can see a new flavor coming.     Round Up Chocolate Almond Fudge Jimsonweed
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »
"In 1988, the two men won the title of U.S. Small Business Persons Of The Year, awarded by U.S. President Ronald Reagan.[8] "

"In April 2000, Ben & Jerry's sold the company to Anglo-Dutch multinational food giant Unilever.[14] Unilever said it hopes to carry on the tradition of engaging "in these critical, global economic and social missions". Although the founders' names are still attached to the product, they do not hold any board or management position and are not involved in day-to-day management of the company.[15]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_%26_Jerry%27s

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:23:32 pm »
Since Cali just banned Round-up I think it only fitting they extend the ban to Ben  And Jerry's.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 11:18:54 pm »
What kind of weeds, sensimilla or Willie's special reserve?

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 11:34:32 pm »
@240B
Or whats in there thats not readily detectable.   Are organic almonds necessarily detectable from non-organic?    Even if B&J think they are buying organic their supplier might be switching things out.

But you're right, nobody likes to think about weed killer in their ice cream.   I can see a new flavor coming.     Round Up Chocolate Almond Fudge Jimsonweed

@driftdiver

This represents my own reading of several various articles on the subject of 'organic' and what it means.

From my memory, the 'organic' crazy began sometime in the 70s as a result of several reported contamination incidents in which produce and fruit contained unacceptable levels of pesticides and herbicides such as DDT. It started out as a genuine, honest, grassroots, movement. However, it was fraught with problems.

People were getting sick from organic produce because it was not properly cleaned and it was generally riddled with pests. Since organic produce is grown in actual organic manure, if it is not thoroughly sanitized, there can be problems. Organic producers learned over time how to produce and sell their product safely but it was very expensive.

That brings us to today. The 'organic' label exploded over the last couple of decades. Today the term 'organic' is similar to 'fat free' or a 'Lite' product. It has become more of a marketing term than it is a real guarantee. There are monitoring organizations which are supposed to monitor and actually certify something as genuinely organic, but there are tens of thousands of products today claiming that they are organic and not that many staff to handle it. So, organic this, and organic that, everything is suddenly organic, and who really knows?

To answer your question, from what I have read, there is no chemical analysis way to determine if a product is organic or not. It is just a matter of either actual real 'certification' or blind trust. And while there were real problems with chemicals in produce 40 to 50 years ago, those issues have been resolved in modern day agriculture practices. Furthermore, the nutritional benefit of organic verses non-organic food items is speculative and is not certainly proved.

Ben and Jerry's was just riding a fad 'organic' wave. And by sheer bad luck, it came back to bite them. We shall have to wait to see if they decide to re-brand their image or what they do to try to recover from this crisis.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:16:18 am by 240B »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 12:17:42 am »
Although the levels are far below the legal limit set by the Environmental Protection Agency

I would like to see what their testing level is here. Parts per million. Parts per billion. What?

Maybe it’s from something that’s not even in our supply chain

Right. It is probably  comtaminated grasshopper shit.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline berdie

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 12:28:12 am »

Thank goodness. I did the same thing. :laugh:

Online dfwgator

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 12:37:59 am »

Online corbe

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 01:59:22 am »
   Best Damn News Blue Bell has had in quite awhile.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline endicom

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 02:01:46 am »
   Best Damn News Blue Bell has had in quite awhile.

Yeah, but who wants blue bells?