Author Topic: SCOTLAND: Glasgow public (state) school forces Christian students to recite Islamic prayers and perform Wudu (ritual washing) at a mosque  (Read 2181 times)

rangerrebew

Jun 27 2015
SCOTLAND: Glasgow public (state) school forces Christian students to recite Islamic prayers and perform Wudu (ritual washing) at a mosque

Why is there no follow-up about parental outrage and threats of legal action against the school that arranged this? Muslim students are NEVER forced to go on similar field trips to churches or synagogues.

http://www.barenakedislam.com/2015/06/27/scotland-glasgow-public-school-forces-christian-students-to-recite-islamic-prayers-and-perform-wudu-ritual-washing-at-a-mosque/#comment-738244
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:35:13 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Online roamer_1

Nope. Happened here. Something like it. My son was supposed to use a muslim prayer rug and recite some prayer.
He said oh hell no, and got sent to the principle, who called me...
I said, "Let him sit there. I'll be down in a minute."
hoo boy, was I mad. That principle just about lost his mud when I reached across his desk to drag him up close, eye-to-eye, to make certain he knew my position on the whole thing... Polkin him in his chest to make each point.
And I did it in front of my kid. Then I pulled him out of class for the day, and bought him the biggest bowl of ice cream he could think of. He done right.

And thereafter, when the other three kids said oh hell no, I didn't have to but call on the phone.
Same dang thing with Native American Religion, which was also supposed to be acted out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:34:30 am by roamer_1 »

Offline RoosGirl

Nope. Happened here. Something like it. My son was supposed to use a muslim prayer rug and recite some prayer.
hoo boy, was I mad. That principle just about lost his mud when I reached across his desk to drag him up close, eye-to-eye, to make certain he knew my position on the whole thing... Polkin him in his chest to make each point.
And I did it in front of my kid. Then I pulled him out of class for the day, and bought him the biggest bowl of ice cream he could think of. He done right.

And thereafter, when the other three kids said oh hell no, I didn't have to but call on the phone.
Same dang thing with Native American Religion, which was also supposed to be acted out.

I guess when you say "use a muslim prayer rug" you don't mean as in under the kitty litter box or to wipe your feet on when you come in from the horse pasture?

Online roamer_1

I guess when you say "use a muslim prayer rug" you don't mean as in under the kitty litter box or to wipe your feet on when you come in from the horse pasture?

LOL!
You shoulda seen the look on that bird-fed principles face when I started reaching across his desk...
And the look on my kid... from moping and dejected to shining glory, when I started to tell him he was damn well right, and to pay no mind at all to his teacher, or mud-britches over there, when they go to teach you different than you know.

He was not expecting me to have his back... not to mention throwin' down on it.
I was soooo proud of him right there.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Good for you! Wonderful story.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Nope. Happened here. Something like it. My son was supposed to use a muslim prayer rug and recite some prayer....

:amen:

Offline rodamala

Right on!

The movie Uncle Buck was a training film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEt5dEOcW0I

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:24:13 pm by rodamala »

Online roamer_1

Right on!

The movie Uncle Buck was a training film.

LOL! I forgot that part! Thanks for the clip. I may just pull Uncle Buck out of the library tonight.

And I do know the difference between 'principle' and 'principal' Sheesh! Some times, when I go back and read what I wrote...  :shrug:

Offline Suppressed

What was the alternative method used to teach the material after that?

Kinesthetic learning is very effective for many people, and something like that experience would have helped the lesson stick for many, but this specific material has a sinister side, too, as we all know.  But the material is important to cover.  Our nation has been heavily engaged with Islam for decades, yet most Americans are embarrassingly ignorant of the topic.

It's important to understand the beliefs and culture of others. Many can't tell you the difference between Sunni and Shia, let alone know about things like Ahmadi, Sufi, Ibadi, etc.  So I hope education isn't shut down as a result of some improper lessons.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

I learned everything I need to know about Islam on 9/11.

Offline RoosGirl

What was the alternative method used to teach the material after that?

Kinesthetic learning is very effective for many people, and something like that experience would have helped the lesson stick for many, but this specific material has a sinister side, too, as we all know.  But the material is important to cover.  Our nation has been heavily engaged with Islam for decades, yet most Americans are embarrassingly ignorant of the topic.

It's important to understand the beliefs and culture of others. Many can't tell you the difference between Sunni and Shia, let alone know about things like Ahmadi, Sufi, Ibadi, etc.  So I hope education isn't shut down as a result of some improper lessons.

How could using a prayer rug help someone learn the difference between sunni and shia?  I am all for a Montessori style teaching method, I am using it at home for my son, but some things, like what @roamer_1 described above are inappropriate.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How could using a prayer rug help someone learn the difference between sunni and shia?  I am all for a Montessori style teaching method, I am using it at home for my son, but some things, like what @roamer_1 described above are inappropriate.

I wonder if they also had students recite the Lord's Prayer and learn how to use a rosary? 

Online roamer_1

A school that will not teach my 6th grade child the ways of Yahweh, and of Yeshua, teaches my child Mohammedanism - Teaches him to PRAY to allah, and you're alright with that?

Offline Suppressed

It teaches them to remember how they pray.  Differences between Sunni and Shia are other parts of the lesson.

As I said, having them recite the prayer that way is inappropriate, but it should be taught.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

I wonder if they also had students recite the Lord's Prayer and learn how to use a rosary?

They shouldn't be taught to recite it, but that should be a part of lessons!
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

A school that will not teach my 6th grade child the ways of Yahweh, and of Yeshua, teaches my child Mohammedanism - Teaches him to PRAY to allah, and you're alright with that?

I'm not saying I'm okay with them teaching him TO pray to Allah.  Students should be taught HOW Muslims pray to Allah, however.  And other religions, including Judaism and Christianity praying to their god.
+++++++++

Oceander

Exactly.  There are a lot of kids out there who don't understand the basics of Christianity. 

Offline RoosGirl

It teaches them to remember how they pray.  Differences between Sunni and Shia are other parts of the lesson.

As I said, having them recite the prayer that way is inappropriate, but it should be taught.

Sorry, I don't see much benefit of a comparative religion class to a kid who's young enough that a bowl of ice cream is a grand reward for standing on principle (that made his dad stand on his principal) :)

Online roamer_1

Sorry, I don't see much benefit of a comparative religion class to a kid who's young enough that a bowl of ice cream is a grand reward for standing on principle (that made his dad stand on his principal) :)

:silly:
 :beer:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Great story, roamer.

But... I'm surprised he didn't have you arrested.
I would reckon in many other places, you might have been.

Not saying what you did was wrong, no way!
On the contrary, that was "takin' action at the personal level" at its finest!

Online roamer_1

Great story, roamer.

But... I'm surprised he didn't have you arrested.
I would reckon in many other places, you might have been.

It was mentioned... I said I'd like to go see all my friends... :)
Might even send some by to see him and thank him personally.
He saw that as some sort of escalation.  :shrug:

Offline Suppressed

I've had 3 bowls of ice cream (two double-chocolate with chocolate syrup, one vanilla with blackberry reduction, all with amble services of blueberries) and three Italian ices today.  No exaggeration.

So, ice cream can be a grand reward regardless of age.
+++++++++

Offline goatprairie

"It teaches them to remember how they pray."
Sorry for invoking the Deity, but who gives a good g-damn how they pray?  Why should a public school be instructing their students on how people of a certain religion pray?

Offline Suppressed

"It teaches them to remember how they pray."
Sorry for invoking the Deity, but who gives a good g-damn how they pray?  Why should a public school be instructing their students on how people of a certain religion pray?

Why should we learn anything at all? 

Let's all remain ignorant?
+++++++++