Author Topic: Fast Times at Ridgemont High: A Conservative Sex Comedy  (Read 552 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Fast Times at Ridgemont High: A Conservative Sex Comedy
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:10:38 pm »
Kyle Smith
National Review
July 25, 2017

Upon its release in 1982, no one would have expected Fast Times at Ridgemont High ever to receive the imprimatur of classic. The movie was engineered to make a quick buck at a moment when Hollywood was giddy about its latest easy-money formula: Take some horny teens, put them in a broad, dumb comedy that invited teen boys to ogle bare breasts, and load the soundtrack with hit rock songs...

Most of these efforts are too moronic to interest anyone who has weathered the teen-hormone tsunami, but despite its salacious title, Fast Times at Ridgemont High was different: a genuinely thoughtful and well-drawn collection of character portraits that stands on a higher plane than virtually any other teen movie of the era, including The Breakfast Club. Moreover, it concludes with a conservative message about the emotional perils of casual sex...
More

Offline dfwgator

Re: Fast Times at Ridgemont High: A Conservative Sex Comedy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:21:41 pm »
Didn't one of the main characters have an abortion?     Doesn't sound too conservative to me.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »
This is the National Review?  As in the FOUNDED BY BILL BUCKLEY National Review?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 02:10:44 am »
Didn't one of the main characters have an abortion?     Doesn't sound too conservative to me.

@dfwgator
I take it you didn't read the piece.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn