Author Topic: Where were all the fans?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Where were all the fans?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:30 pm »
From a guy who up until two years ago had a gig at a local (non-NASCAR) dirt track, I can tell you that racing is hurting all over. Tracks are cutting their schedules, closing up shop, and changing hands all over in a desperate attempt to stay afloat. The sport on the whole is fading.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:36 pm »
From a guy who up until two years ago had a gig at a local (non-NASCAR) dirt track, I can tell you that racing is hurting all over. Tracks are cutting their schedules, closing up shop, and changing hands all over in a desperate attempt to stay afloat. The sport on the whole is fading.

A local dirt track recently shut down and the drag strip in a town over that used to hold national events is on the brink of closing. You may be on to something.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 07:17:16 pm »
Our local track is doing well. It's hard to not make money. Tickets are cheap, land was cheap, facilities are cheap, concessions are not cheap. Drivers pay to race. Sponsors pay to get advertised.
Countdown to Resignation

Wingnut

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 07:20:43 pm »
The local dirt track in the town I grew up in was a was a very popular spot every saturday.  Drivers and fans would come from all over No. Il So WI and Iowa to race.   It was forced to close because urban sprawl encroached upon it and the citifed bastards complained about the noise and "unsavory" crown the place drew.  .   

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:11 pm »
The local dirt track in the town I grew up in was a was a very popular spot every saturday.  Drivers and fans would come from all over No. Il So WI and Iowa to race.   It was forced to close because urban sprawl encroached upon it and the citifed bastards complained about the noise and "unsavory" crown the place drew.  .

Butler Motor Speedway (Now Butler Battlegrounds) near Quincy Michigan is where I spend many Saturday nights. Kinda cool to see sprint cars roaring around the track while a bunch of Amish buggies line the road as they watch.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 08:03:18 pm »
Nothing beats midget racing.

Jokes aside, Rico Abreu is a very solid stock car driver as well.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 08:06:39 pm »
Dirt's for racin, pavement's for gettin there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePyX3WzqIxo