Author Topic: The Price is wrong about Dennis the Menace  (Read 694 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The Price is wrong about Dennis the Menace
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:39:47 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/07/24/the-price-is-wrong-about-dennis-the-menace/

If one thing above and beyond his pitching ability marked Dennis Eckersley’s career, it was accountability. Surrender a
game-ending bomb to a Dodger batter who was lucky he didn’t need to swing from a wheelchair in the first game of a
World Series? Eckersley didn’t shrink. Nobody said baseball was simple. Dennis the Menace would have called that
person a liar.

“You can’t walk in the tying run,” Eckersley said post-mortem that fine Saturday night in October 1988, referring to his
walk of Mike Davis with Dave Anderson on deck, an on-deck presence that turned out a decoy for the leg-hobbled Kirk
Gibson. “That’s why I lost the game.” Notice he said “I lost the game,” not “We lost the game.” Accountability.

Gibson had to will himself to pinch hit for Dodger reliever Alejandro Pena. He had a dead left hamstring and a swollen
right knee with a combination lock on it. He’d be swinging strictly with his arms. Some thought as he approached the
plate that he’d have had a less painful plate appearance if he’d gone into the batter’s box in a wheelchair.

An 0-2 count to open. A few foul ticks. A few throws to first, one of which missed bagging Davis by two seconds. A
full count on a slider outside, enabling Davis to swipe second. A second slider that was intended for the back door
but came right past the doorman in front of the lobby, before Gibson somehow drove it into the right field bleachers.

“In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened!” warbled Vin Scully on the television broadcast.
“I don’t believe what I just saw!” hollered Jack Buck on the radio broadcast. “Never throw a slider to a cripple,”
Eckersley said to reporters around his locker in the Oakland clubhouse.

Last Thursday, joining Gibson at a dinner for Joe Torre’s Safe at Home Foundation to aid neglected and abused children,
Eckersley watched closely as the telecast of the home run replayed. With Gibson listening and smiling nest to him,
Eckersley said, simply, “God knows I should have gassed his ass.” (That’s, “I should have thrown him a fastball,” as
he had to get him 0-2 in the first place, for you laymanpersons.)

Eckersley and Gibson have since become friends. The pitcher turned Red Sox broadcaster celebrates his day-at-a-
time sobriety, achieved two years before Gibson made everyone else in the A’s clubhouse and home town want to
reach for the whiskey bottle, and his current reputation as an effective television analyst for Red Sox games.

Gibson, outfielder turned manager of less than success, has a battle on his hands with Parkinson’s disease. “I had a
little detour on the road,” Gibson said when explaining why he missed last year’s Safe at Home dinner. “I had to
shake my boy Parky.” About Eckersley, he says, as he did to Los Angeles Times columnist Bill Shaikin, “We’ve struck
up a little friendship. We’ll take our time, as much as we have left, and enjoy it.”

David Price, Red Sox pitcher, could stand to learn a few things from both these men about accountability and proportion.

Last month, Price fumed over a comment Eckersley made on the air. At the time nobody knew what the comment was,
or even about whom. The original stories about the incident speculated that Price, who hadn’t been pitching particularly
true to his reputation at the time, was the subject of an Eckersley critique and none too amused by it.

But now we know Price wasn’t Eckersley’s subject. Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy has exposed the details
about what provoked the argument Price picked with Eckersley on the Red Sox team plane after that game. Shown the
stats on screen from a particularly grisly minor league start by Eduardo Rodriguez during a rehab assignment, all
Eckersley could say—having had perhaps a few such games himself in his time, and never shying from calling it as
he sees it—was, “Yuck.”

When Eckersley headed toward the back of the plane, where Red Sox broadcasters sit by tradition, Price rose from his
seat and got into Eckersley’s face, hollering sarcastically, “Here he is—the greatest pitcher who ever lived! This game
is easy for him!” In the moment, Eckersley tried to say something before Price cut him off again with a pronounced
“Get the [fornicate] out of here!”

Eckersley has since received outreach from owners John Henry and Tom Werner and general manager Dave Dombrowski.
But not from manager John Farrell or any players as of this writing, according to multiple reports based on “Many
players,” Shaughnessy wrote, “applauded” when Price dressed Eckersley down.

Dressed Dennis Eckersley down? Eckersley, who took the news of his trade to the Red Sox because an Indians teammate
was having an affair with his wife by taking it out on American League hitters, winning 20, finishing fourth in the 1978 Cy
Young voting, and making himself worth 7.1 wins above a replacement player.

Eckersley, who only stood up like a man after being hit for one of the most memorable game-ending home runs in World
Series history, the first Series bomb ever to yank a team to a win when they opened the inning in the hole.

The Eck, with the elegant-slingshot sidearm delivery, scared sober after his daughter showed him a harrowing video of
himself inebriated, standing up like a man and facing the demon square on when it wasn’t even close to too late to
save his life, never mind his career.

Dennis the Menace, who pitched his way to a World Series ring in a season during which his likewise alcoholic brother
was sentenced to forty years for robbery, assault, and attempted murder in an attack on a woman during a drunk,
two seasons before he won a Cy Young Award and the American League’s Most Valuable Player award.

Neither Farrell, Price, nor any other Red Sox players are known to have apologised to Eckersley in the month since
the plane incident. NBC’s Craig Calcaterra thinks it may be too late. “(I)f he apologizes now,” Calcaterra writes, “it’s
not because he means it. He’s had a month to reflect. It’s simply because his disgraceful behavior is now all over
the pages of the Boston Globe.”

It wouldn’t have mattered if Price was pitching like Clayton Kershaw at the time. Do Price or his teammates really
think a Hall of Famer who pitched twenty-four seasons through hell and high water alike, some of it his own making,
some of it not, doesn’t understand how hard baseball can be?

If they do, they should be dismissed forever as halfwits.
---------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@DCPatriot
@catfish1957
@Bigun
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:43:41 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: The Price is wrong about Dennis the Menace
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:27 pm »
Playing baseball professionally is, like many other professions,  a hell of a lot different from the inside looking out than it is from the outside looking in!

Great and very informative piece of writing Ace!  Thanks for taking the time and for sharing with us!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:29 pm »
Great article, @EasyAce

I'd say I hope Price gains some maturity soon, but good Lord, he's 31 years old, almost 32.  There's basically no excuse for him at this point.

I used to watch quite a bit of Oakland baseball back in the late '80s.  Eckersley was amazing.

Thanks for the ping!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:01:32 pm »
Playing baseball professionally is, like many other professions,  a hell of a lot different from the inside looking out than it is from the outside looking in!

Great and very informative piece of writing Ace!  Thanks for taking the time and for sharing with us!
Thanks Big!

I thought Price was out of line from the word go, but not knowing just what ticked him off made it hard
to write. It seems almost coincidental that last Thursday Dennis Eckersley and Kirk Gibson would turn
up at a dinner for Joe Torre's foundation and, just days later, Dan Shaughnessy reveals the
actual cause, which only makes Price seem even more foolish.

You can think of several comparisons. My favourite would be the time Gerald Ford refused to receive
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn at the White House because Solzhenitsyn was merely an author promoting
a book.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 10:30:39 pm »
Great article, @EasyAce

I'd say I hope Price gains some maturity soon, but good Lord, he's 31 years old, almost 32.  There's basically no excuse for him at this point.

I used to watch quite a bit of Oakland baseball back in the late '80s.  Eckersley was amazing.

Thanks for the ping!
@Polly Ticks
Thanks Polly, but you're one of my favourite baseball people and people-people around here!

Maybe if and when Price finally goes to more than one World Series he'll get it. Eckersley won one ring
in three tries with the A's, but at least a) he won one, and b) he didn't shrink from questioning after
rough outings.

Famous last words: We had to trade someone before the whole thing blew up in our faces. Rick
Manning had the bad back and his trade value was down. Besides, I really thought he'd be one of
the great stars. Boston wanted Eckersley badly so we made the deal. It turned out that Eckersley
became the star. He always was a great performer, and he never let his troubles affect his pitching.
We had to do something, but we traded the wrong guy.

---Indians GM Gabe Paul, returned to the job six weeks before learning Manning was having
an affair with Eckersley's first wife.

Manning and Eckersley were closer than brothers, to the point where Eckersley invited Manning
to recuperate at the Eckersley home when he injured his back in 1977. When the Indians discovered
Manning and the first Mrs. Eckersley having an affair, the Indians had to think fast enough to avoid
trouble. Thinking that Eckersley's unusual delivery might also spell arm trouble soon enough, they
chose to move Eckersley.

Eckersley ended up a Hall of Famer and Manning would never be the player he promised to be before
the back injury. Manning also married the first Mrs. Eckersley after her divorce from Dennis the Menace,
but they subsequently divorced. Other than swearing she initiated the affair, Manning never spoke of
it publicly.

Classic Eckersley moment with the Indians: When he pitched his no-hitter against the Angels, the
last man to bat was Gil Flores. Flores took his time coming to the plate trying to distract the pitcher,
but Eckersley barked at him: Get your ass in there---you are the final out! And Eckersley
struck him out to finish the no-no.

I went to Boston and Denise and Mandee (his daughter) stayed with Rick in Cleveland.
That messed me up terribly. I never knew for sure what the situation was between Rick and Denise
until the trade and my family didn't come with me. Our marriage was in the middle of breaking up
but I didn't think that Rick---I'm not even sure if they knew what they would do, but the trade
kind of forced them to make a decision, too. I also was really pissed off by the deal. I wanted to
stay with the Indians for my entire career. Everyone was looking at me like I was supposed to be
happy because I was going to a good team in Boston, but I was torn. I was losing my baseball
family and my real family. Almost everyone else wanted out of Cleveland and I wanted to stay.
I broke down and cried like a baby. There had been some rumors that I might be traded. They
kept talking about my motion. (Radio commentator) Pete Franklin used to say on the radio that
my arm was going to fall off. Probably the first time you see me throw, you think that because my
delivery is different than most players. When I was in the minors they tried to change my motion
to throw more overhand. But I throw like I always did, a high leg kick and a little down from the
side. I honestly don't know if the front office was aware of what was happening with Denise. If
they knew before the deal, they knew before I did.

I was so lonely after the deal. But I threw myself totally into baseball. I played hard and I lived
hard. But I found I loved pitching more than ever. The mound became my refuge. Sometimes,
away from the park, I'd completely break down. I'd just cry and cry and not know when it would
stop. Then I'd go out and party all night. It was a crazy life. I had some of my best games after
I'd been out all night. Baseball was my salvation because I stuck my nose into the game.

---Dennis Eckersley, in The Curse of Rocky Colavito.
The strange irony: At the time, Dennis Eckersley and Rick Manning had the same agent, Ed
Keating. Keating swore he was caught flatfoot by the affair: Really, you could see it if you
knew what you were looking for
---and he didn't, until Eckersley told him following the trade
to the Red Sox, when he learned about it.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:41:01 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks Polly, but you're one of my favourite baseball people and people-people around here!

Awww, right back at you, my friend!

Flores took his time coming to the plate trying to distract the pitcher,
but Eckersley barked at him: Get your ass in there---you are the final out! And Eckersley
struck him out to finish the no-no.

I love that!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:45 pm »