Author Topic: 97 year-old Canadian Veteran and his thoughts after watching the movie "Dunkirk"  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Suppressed

97 year-old Canadian Veteran and his thoughts after watching the movie "Dunkirk"
by undercovergiraffe18 hr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5uUvRkxZ0
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kidd

I saw Dunkirk yesterday.

You are either going to hate it or love it. Count me as loving it.

First, there is no CGI. That alone is refreshing.
Second, it is authentic. Filmed at Dunkirk. Used boats that actually were at Dunkirk. And real dogfights.

It is the viewpoints from three different people: on the land, the sea and the air. It covers three personal aspects that were part of the entire operation: fear (the land guy), dedication (the sea guy) and bravery (the air guy). The land guy went through many fearful encounters. But his fear wasn't cowardice - he was innovative.
It is pure action, from start to finish. No side stories. No character development. Yet, it is an intelligent movie.
The dogfight scenes are AMAZING. I found myself leaning in my seat to try and steer the planes to line up a shot.

Why might you hate it?
- the plot line isn't linear. It is three different points of view that all connect with each other. But not in chronological order. Think of it as three different movies mixed together.
- there is little dialogue and some of what there is, is hard to understand because of background noise. Welcome to war.
- you don't see any Nazis. Nazis are easy to hate, but without actually seeing an antagonist, it may be hard to connect with the movie. Again, this is authentic; only a small percentage of those at Dunkirk actually saw a German.

I recommend that you see it in IMAX. Be prepared for loud background noise. Go to the bathroom before it starts. Let me know what you think.

Offline skeeter

Loved it.

BTW somethings wrong with this video. Keeps kicking me off the site.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:16:44 pm by skeeter »

Offline goatprairie

Saw it today with the wife. First movie we've seen at a movie theater in almost fifteen years.  Was well worth it.  Excellent movie.  One of the best war movies I've ever seen.

Online mountaineer

We hope to see it this week. I appreciate the comments from those who already have done so. Very helpful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Silver Pines

I saw Dunkirk yesterday.

You are either going to hate it or love it. Count me as loving it.

First, there is no CGI. That alone is refreshing.
Second, it is authentic. Filmed at Dunkirk. Used boats that actually were at Dunkirk. And real dogfights.

It is the viewpoints from three different people: on the land, the sea and the air. It covers three personal aspects that were part of the entire operation: fear (the land guy), dedication (the sea guy) and bravery (the air guy). The land guy went through many fearful encounters. But his fear wasn't cowardice - he was innovative.
It is pure action, from start to finish. No side stories. No character development. Yet, it is an intelligent movie.
The dogfight scenes are AMAZING. I found myself leaning in my seat to try and steer the planes to line up a shot.

Why might you hate it?
- the plot line isn't linear. It is three different points of view that all connect with each other. But not in chronological order. Think of it as three different movies mixed together.
- there is little dialogue and some of what there is, is hard to understand because of background noise. Welcome to war.
- you don't see any Nazis. Nazis are easy to hate, but without actually seeing an antagonist, it may be hard to connect with the movie. Again, this is authentic; only a small percentage of those at Dunkirk actually saw a German.

I recommend that you see it in IMAX. Be prepared for loud background noise. Go to the bathroom before it starts. Let me know what you think.

@kidd

Thank you for that detailed review.   I've heard differing opinions, but after seeing the trailer, I'd like to see it.  I'll get back to you.

Offline Suppressed

Loved it.

BTW somethings wrong with this video. Keeps kicking me off the site.

@skeeter

The YouTube video got removed for Copyright.  Here's the original story, with the great video:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3617564/calgary-veteran-who-survived-dunkirk-causes-a-stir-at-movie-premiere/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

Tyler Stone writes in the The Federalist that ‘Dunkirk’ Should Be Considered Christopher Nolan’s Greatest Film:
... Nolan’s next major break from more traditional war movies is in his heroes. Today, when one says “hero,” we instantly think of brightly-colored capes and feats of strength unimaginable to the average person. Those movies do sell, as “Wonder Woman” and “Spider-Man” have shown.  “Dunkirk” will likely get nowhere near those box office standings, but the film’s protagonists are still heroes.

Although there’s no back story provided for any of them—no wife or girlfriend back home, no reason why they are fighting, nothing—somehow this movie makes its characters more real than most. These are just average people who have found themselves thrust into a great historical event. Christopher Nolan remembers that, and keeps the film focused on these small characters, even at the climax of the movie. ...

Offline skeeter

Online mountaineer

We saw it on Friday. Wow. Horrible and beautiful.

Offline goatprairie

What I liked a lot about the movie was the lack of histrionics.  No overacting which was epitomized by the civilian small boat captain (Mark Rylance) who was stoic and determined to take his small vessel to Dunkirk to get soldiers back. The lack of dialogue and the reliance on the visual aspect was a great part of the flick.
Just think of how Pacino would have hammed it up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:35:50 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I loved that video. The old war vets, no matter how old they are, when they start talking about their experiences it's like they are 20 y/o again. A reminder to the young that the body may age but the spirit never dies, and we all had our day in the sun.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

What I liked a lot about the movie was the lack of histrionics.  No overacting which was epitomized by the civilian small boat captain (Mark Rylance) who was stoic and determined to take his small vessel to Dunkirk to get soldiers back. The lack of dialogue and the reliance on the visual aspect was a great part of the flick.
Yes, he and his son were brilliant.