Author Topic: Autopilot is being blamed again for the crash of a Tesla Model S  (Read 918 times)

Wingnut

Saint Elon has some more splain'n to do if this proves to be aoto pilot related and not some asshat driver blaming the crash on the S's autopilot.

-----

Like before, a Tesla has been involved in an accident, and we don’t think it will it be the last. One feature that takes place to accompany many of these mishaps is that autopilot, and it was reportedly engaged at some point prior to the occurrence of mishap. This specific accident does not stray from that pattern, as a motorist declares his Model S lost control after having auto-pilot triggered in his 2016 Tesla Model S.

During the weekend in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, a Model S ended up on its roof in a marsh with a motorist and four other occupants in the vehicle according to reports made by a regional news station. Everybody made it out safe and sound, the good news is only sustaining minor injuries. Exactly what takes place to be interesting about this specific crash is that the owner is supposedly blaming his Model S’ auto-pilot function for causing the accident entirely. The mishap occured at a “T” intersection where the Tesla would require to make either a left or right turn. The car then supposedly diverted off of the road and turned over into the marsh.

http://speedlux.com/autopilot-blamed-crash-tesla-model-s/

Offline DB

Re: Autopilot is being blamed again for the crash of a Tesla Model S
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »
I don't believe autopilot is supposed to handle a tee intersection where you have to turn left or right - or any intersection really...

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:55 pm »
Can we just admit that this stupid driverless car idea is a disaster waiting to happen?

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:49:31 pm »
Can we just admit that this stupid driverless car idea is a disaster waiting to happen?

It is coming. The only question is when. I would expect at some point it will become mandatory on some roads, particularly in the major cities. I would guess that the rush hour madness could be greatly reduced by removing stupid drivers from clogging everything up.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:39:37 pm »
There goes the Tesla insurance north again.

As long as they do not concoct some way to punish the rest of us driving cars that actually work.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 02:34:55 am »
I read about this somewhere, probably ZH, and Tesla put out the standard disclaimer about how their automatic navigation system is not intended to replace a driver, the driver is to keep both handles on the wheel, etc, etc.

Okay, then why do you refer to it as 'autopilot'?  [yeah, I know why.  But pick a position (other than mouth to the gov't teat that is) and stick with it].
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:55:14 am »
I read about this somewhere, probably ZH, and Tesla put out the standard disclaimer about how their automatic navigation system is not intended to replace a driver, the driver is to keep both handles on the wheel, etc, etc.

Okay, then why do you refer to it as 'autopilot'?  [yeah, I know why.  But pick a position (other than mouth to the gov't teat that is) and stick with it].

As I understand it, it is intended to keep you on the freeway following the lines and to keep you a safe distance from other cars in front of you automatically. Not much more. Like typical autopilot on an airplane, to maintain your course, speed and altitude. It doesn't navigate.